Imgburn Alternative on Mac

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by LightyKD, Jan 10, 2009.

Jan 10, 2009

Imgburn Alternative on Mac by LightyKD at 2:03 PM (17,836 Views / 0 Likes) 18 replies

1. LightyKD
    OP

Member LightyKD Future CEO of OUYA Inc.

United States
    Hey everyone,

This goes out to all the Mac users. I just "Made the switch" as of last night and now I'm running Mac OS X on my PC but I was wondering, is there a program that's similar to Imgburn that I can use?

2. sfunk

Member sfunk GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Go to Applications->Utilities and there's a program called Disk Utility. Works perfectly for burning Wii Isos.

3. LightyKD
    OP

United States
    What about creating an image from a disc? I also do a lot of copying of stuff. Can the disc utility be used for that as well. It's kinda odd but I'm trying to catch up on 6 years of not using a Mac. I grew up with Mac OS but since hitting college and adulthood, its been Windows for the past 6 years... I HATE Windows [​IMG] ...Yuk!

4. rhyguy

Member rhyguy GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    Yeah it should be able to (if you can rip games with a dvd burner?)

but dont bother with dvds, just use windows for that

5. slaphappygamer

Member slaphappygamer GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    toast is really good for creating copoes, but im sure there is a free alternative.

6. Sstew

Member Sstew GBAtemp's Grim Reaper.

United States
    Free Alternative is "Burn"

Google - Burn for mac

[​IMG]

7. Foxle

Member Foxle GBAtemp Regular

United States
    There's a free open source program called Burn, which is very similar to Imgburn. http://burn-osx.sourceforge.net/

However, I usually use the paid (and easy to find a serial for) Disco. It's a bit more polished and easy to use than Burn. http://discoapp.com/

Hope that helps.

8. LightyKD
    OP

United States
    Thank you everyone for your help [​IMG]

9. sblur

Newcomer sblur Member

I would also suggest LiquidCD, because I don't think Burn can rip images?

10. LightyKD
    OP

United States
    I know that this is slightly off topic but does anyone know of a media player that can be used with multiple video types. I used to use Media Player Classic on Vista and XP but over here in OSX things are starting to seem like a mixed bag. Even Real Player, which prides itself on its .flv support in Windows doesn't have any .flv support on its Mac version [​IMG] Not to mention I just finished downloading Windows media Player for the Mac but it's a .bin file. How do I open it?

11. sblur

Newcomer sblur Member

A lot of people might suggest VLC, but VLC is kind of sucky.
    Download Perian, it allows Quicktime and iTunes (and any other Mac Video player based on Quicktime) to load .flv, .mkv, DivX, XviD, etc.

Edit:
    In response to your second question, to play Windows Media Player files there's a Quicktime Plugin called Flip4Mac. Microsoft's site has a download link for it.

12. LightyKD
    OP

United States
    Thanks [​IMG] I got VLC. I like it but I also know it's not as feature filled as Media Player Classic. Never the less, it's fine [​IMG] Right now I'm enjoying "Animal Crossing the Movie". Once I get my copy of I movie I plan on combining the 4 parts to make one big file.

13. IOwnAndPwnU

Member IOwnAndPwnU GBAtemp Maniac

Canada
    VLC is a great player! Don't you what file you used to test VLC with but it's great. And it also works perfectly with the Apple remote.

Also, I'm pretty sure you could just right-click on the desktop (or Control+Left-Click if you don't have both Primary and Secondary buttons set) and create a Burn folder. Then copy the ISO file there and burn. That should work as well but didn't test it ... yet.

14. r3v3rb

r3v3rb Newbie

Burn does support iso burning use the COPY option on the far right - having just burnt 20 odd wii games in the last week I can vouch for it - it has not created one coaster yet. Just remember to use this to set your booktype to dvd-rom if you use DVD+R for burning.

http://www.plak.net/dvdplustool/ - Great freeware to set the booktype on Apple SuperDrives.

Also I find VLC to be a great media player have been using it since getting my MacBook Pro when they first came out, although I do also have Perian installed too - just to keep all options open [​IMG]

You might also want to get UnRarX as it seems to do a better job of decompressing the 'shared' files you might find floating around the 'net.

And JDownloader is a must if you use any storage facilities to download from...

15. LightyKD
    OP

United States
    *giggle* correction I'm running Tiger (10.4.8) on non Apple hardware. Sorry but I can't afford a true Mac Once again, thanks to everyone for your help [​IMG] I really appreciate it. Right now I need to head back to getting my copy of "i-Life 08" and the "10.4.9 update". I got "Office Mac" yesterday and low and behold I need 10..9 to run it [​IMG] . Geez, even on Mac OS, Microsoft still sux

16. Leslia

Newcomer Leslia Member

Netherlands
    LoL, Get OpenOffice

Mac ftw btw!

17. jeffc313

Newcomer jeffc313 Advanced Member

United States
    is dd included in OS X?
    if so to copy to a .iso
    dd if=/dev/cdrom of=/path/to/iso/you/wish/to/create.iso

18. LightyKD
    OP

United States
    What's dd?

19. EidolonDeprave

Newcomer EidolonDeprave Member

United States
    Burn can rip the images thats what I use for now. Thats only cause the current version of Liquid CD wont recognize Wii ISO as of now but they plan to fix that with the next update. But I have tried several burning programs for Mac and Liquid CD is the best so far just wait for the update.