Hacking I'm sitting here with a brand new just opened 1TB WD Essential

blazingwolf

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I want to use it for storage for regular PC and Wii USB loading, can I partition it for both?

How would I go about doing that in particular? I know how to partition the drive, but is there anything special you need to do to get it to work fine with the Wii?

goku1980

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
format it to fat32 and it will work,make shure you have 222 for usbloading,223 for useing usb deices ,and 202 for homebrew.and put a forlder titled wbfs in the root of the drive for game storage. you can find out wich ios you need by searching the forums.

Blue-K

No right of appeal.
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
blazingwolf said:
FAT32 will let me store regular PC files and use it as a game loader for Wii on USB?

Yes, it will
rolleyes.gif
. You could also consider to format it to NTFS, but NTFS(-Loading) is currently quite buggy, and you can't write to NTFS (no ripping games from Drive/etc.). Also, nearly all Homebrew doesn't support it.

So I also recommend FAT32 if you want that everything works, but keep in mind that FAT32 can't store a File which is bigger than 4 GB.

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i use NTFS and FAT32...isos go in the wbfs folder (use wii backup manager, great piece of software). fat32 is for loading with Triiforce and emulators and stuff like that. MPlayerCE and the new WiiMC both support NTFS so you can watch movies or listen to music on them. I usually use the pc to write new games anyway so I don't care about using the wii to rip the disc. it takes longer anyway.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
VashTS said:
i use NTFS and FAT32...isos go in the wbfs folder (use wii backup manager, great piece of software). fat32 is for loading with Triiforce and emulators and stuff like that. MPlayerCE and the new WiiMC both support NTFS so you can watch movies or listen to music on them. I usually use the pc to write new games anyway so I don't care about using the wii to rip the disc. it takes longer anyway.

If you need files greater than 4gb then ntfs has some benefits, but it's more hassle. If you need the benefits then it's worth it, but if the only large files you're going to put on there are Wii games then FAT32 is good enough.

Even if you're dumping VIDEO_TS directories from a DVD on to your drive, the files are usually less than 4gb each.

So it's really only if you use the disk for something other than the Wii.

If NTFS was supported more then I'd switch to it in a heartbeat, whenever I've had more than one partition I've ended up wanting to resize them.

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I have the exact same HD and I have 3 partitions:

- Around 150GB for Wii games, WBFS
- Around 750GB for PC storage, NTFS
- Around 50GB for WiiWare/VC/emulators/homebrew, FAT32

It works like a charm, the HD can be used for everything, for backing up PC files and for running Wii games of it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: man that was some good Chinese takeout