Hacking I'm really curious about the WBFS...

ether2802

we have the techno...!!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Mmmmmmm.... you should ask to that sites WHY, cause I'm using it on 1 partition of my 500GB HDD and the other is NTFS and I've had no problems at all...!!
wink.gif

Blue-K

No right of appeal.
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
Why? You have to ask those sites, not us. Imo, it's not for Noobs. I've seen many threads here that someone managed to format his WBFS-Partition and lost all his games (and was too stupid to use a Command-Line Tool to restore them), or don't know how to partition the drive, for example.

FAT32/NTFS may be easier for the Noobs to handle, and are supported by nearly all OS (FAT32 even with all Homebrew-Apps), that's the only reason for me.

PsyBlade

Snake Charmer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
because WBFS offers no real advantage over FAT

FAT compared to WBFS
+its way easier to set up initially
+you can use the drive for other purposes without deciding on hard space limits beforehand
+works out of the box on about every OS from this decade (well ... this one might be a con for assholes)
-not all loaders support it (but the major ones)

edit:
the point is that many people dont want choice
eliminating almost redundant choices makes something much more appealing to them
even if they are provided with a default they prefer NOT to be given a choice
if you dont believe me see eg the discussions when linux gets support for an additional filesystems

apoptygma

Trophies
XP
Country
Main reasons to not use it are that you can't run any repair tools on it, like windows scandisk or defrag or anything and you can't store anything *but* wii games on it, so no rom storage or cover-art or anything. Another is that you can't re-size WBFS partitions, so if you decide you want to change the size later it's a hassle.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Eric345 said:
intellect. why does some of the sites tells use not to use it..

WBFS is a relic of a by-gone age.
FAT32 is currently the most convenient, everyone should use it unless you have a really good reason to use NTFS and put up with it's drawbacks.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Good idea