I'm really curious about the WBFS...

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Eric345, Jul 22, 2010.

1. Eric345
    OP

Eric345 GBAtemp Regular

Apr 23, 2010
    United States
    intellect. why does some of the sites tells use not to use it..

2. ether2802

ether2802 we have the techno...!!

Former Staff
    Oct 14, 2007
    Mexico
    Pto. Vallarta
    Mmmmmmm.... you should ask to that sites WHY, cause I'm using it on 1 partition of my 500GB HDD and the other is NTFS and I've had no problems at all...!! [​IMG]

3. Blue-K

Blue-K No right of appeal.

Jun 21, 2008
    Swaziland
    Helvetica
    Why? You have to ask those sites, not us. Imo, it's not for Noobs. I've seen many threads here that someone managed to format his WBFS-Partition and lost all his games (and was too stupid to use a Command-Line Tool to restore them), or don't know how to partition the drive, for example.

FAT32/NTFS may be easier for the Noobs to handle, and are supported by nearly all OS (FAT32 even with all Homebrew-Apps), that's the only reason for me.

4. PsyBlade

PsyBlade Snake Charmer

Jul 30, 2009
    Gambia, The
    Sol III
    because WBFS offers no real advantage over FAT

FAT compared to WBFS
    +its way easier to set up initially
    +you can use the drive for other purposes without deciding on hard space limits beforehand
    +works out of the box on about every OS from this decade (well ... this one might be a con for assholes)
    -not all loaders support it (but the major ones)

edit:
    the point is that many people dont want choice
    eliminating almost redundant choices makes something much more appealing to them
    even if they are provided with a default they prefer NOT to be given a choice
    if you dont believe me see eg the discussions when linux gets support for an additional filesystems

5. apoptygma

apoptygma GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 30, 2010
    Main reasons to not use it are that you can't run any repair tools on it, like windows scandisk or defrag or anything and you can't store anything *but* wii games on it, so no rom storage or cover-art or anything. Another is that you can't re-size WBFS partitions, so if you decide you want to change the size later it's a hassle.

6. DunkrWunkah

DunkrWunkah GBAtemp's Official Dunkr

Nov 21, 2008
    United States
    WBFS can be useful with a smaller drive. It cuts any possibility of cluttering, which makes you focus on the games.

7. smf

smf GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 23, 2009
    WBFS is a relic of a by-gone age.
    FAT32 is currently the most convenient, everyone should use it unless you have a really good reason to use NTFS and put up with it's drawbacks.