I'm really confused on how the Xbox 360 handles dvd drives....

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by MrMcTiller, Sep 29, 2019.

1. DinohScene

DinohScene Feed Dino to the Sharks

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    Восторг
    I prefer not to do it neither but hey, it's as insane as glitching the RAM bus in Gamecube mode on the Wii with a pair of tweezers ;p

contezero and MrMcTiller like this.
  2. lisreal2401

lisreal2401 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 4, 2013
    United States
    Laser isn't picking up the disc - any retail/burned game would be showing Play DVD assuming it's a key mismatch.

You can try tweaking the laser pot, I mean very small adjustments without a multimeter and see if you can get it running again. I've personally fixed my own DVD drive three different occasions in a year and another for a friend by simply tweaking until you get retail discs picked up, then until burned discs get picked up. You only need to mess with CD if you want play... CD.

[​IMG]

Last edited by lisreal2401, Sep 30, 2019
    DinohScene likes this.
  3. MrMcTiller
    OP

MrMcTiller GBATemp's Tiller

Mar 7, 2017
    United States
    Iowa
    Yeah, so I finally got a legit Xbox 360 game (GTA IV) and when I try to play it in my pc drive on the Xbox, it says to insert the game into an Xbox 360 console.

4. Roamin64

Roamin64 GBAtemp Regular

May 24, 2007
    Canada
    No PC drives will allow you to play xbox 360 games on a console. Without a matching DVD key, no drives will work to play retail games and no PC drives are made with such keys that you could replace with your own. Movies and audio would work. If you think the drive you have is the original but doesn'T read discs properly , you could always buy a new laser and try that drive or take the PCB and place it in another working DVD drive of the exact same model. Otherwise your only solution is to RGH/Jtag your console , boot xell and get the dvd key. From there inject it in a real 360 drive. No other trickery you might want to try will let you play games .. Otherwise hacking a 360 would be a total joke (not like its really hard , but it still isn't that simple as to swap a drive that wasn't modded). Thing is , if you RGH or Jtag .. you won't even need a drive then because you should install all your games on a hdd instead, faster and much more reliable than aging xbox 360 dvd discs. So , unless you plan on modding the console , stop wasting your time because you won't achieve anything.

DinohScene likes this.
  5. lisreal2401

lisreal2401 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 4, 2013
    United States
    In fairness - this is actually possible with a specific DVD drive but yeah, you gotta find that DVD key and get a proper BenQ or Liteon to swap with (when you flash, don't spoof OSIG)

MrMcTiller and DinohScene like this.
  6. contezero

contezero GBAtemp Regular

Jul 25, 2016
    Italy
    Where did you see Xkeys for 20 bucks? I see only the lcd panel for that price.

MrMcTiller likes this.
Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted