ROM Hack I'm making a FFIV translation patch...

monopoman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Umm Belmont that patch seems to actually leave less translated then the previous one.

I unzipped everything then took a fresh copy of the rom and tried patching multiple times.

Appreciate the quick work so far but just wondering if thats a bad download link or what?

Edit:

Looks like the problem just might be the first download link i tried the 3rd one it seems like its .99 so far.

pinky

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yup, the batch is calling for trans.patch when the file in the archive is patch.trans.. rename the file for english goodness
biggrin.gif

sudeki300

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
first of all i would like to say thanks to all the people that have taken time out and made this project turn into something that alot of people are going to enjoy.its amazing how quickly this has been done.i myself am waiting for the final release when everything has been fully translated and that is my question.is the story going to be translated i have seen some post where people are saying that it might not be done at all.please can you let me know if there is going to be a light at the end of the tunnel.thanks..................sudeki300

Raganook

Raganook
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
first of all i would like to say thanks to all the people that have taken time out and made this project turn into something that alot of people are going to enjoy.its amazing how quickly this has been done.i myself am waiting for the final release when everything has been fully translated and that is my question.is the story going to be translated i have seen some post where people are saying that it might not be done at all.please can you let me know if there is going to be a light at the end of the tunnel.thanks..................sudeki300

*chugs anti-freeze*
cry.gif

m3rox

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for making this translation patch guys, much appreciated. I've now beaten the Antlion using this patch. One question though, why is Phoenix Down, listed as Fenixdown?

m3rox

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

94dan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

metroplex2k7

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
stop whining and being so picky. it doesnt matter how its spelled as long as you know what it is. they took the time and effort to do this project. be happy.

Raganook

Raganook
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Its all about space management. We only have a certain number of characters we can fit. There are a lot of ways to shorten the word to fit, but if you can figure it out we have done our job
tongue.gif

Sometimes it was really tough. Like "Decapitation" in two letters. We did our best.

FranckKnight

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Oh, don't take me wrong Belmont. I appreciate the work you're doing, I was hypothetically speaking. Of course, it's not 'easy' to hack and change pointers and such. I didn't mean it as such. It would be alot easier if you could just take the word bank and replace it by a new one without changing anything. I might have been misread on that, but I blame myself from not being any more clear.

What I meant is that when we were doing NES and SNES translations, there was no decompression or else there was some VERY talented people finding ways to hack and change the pointers. I did a translation for FF5 from English to French back in those days, and one of our coders apparently had such a tool as they just asked us to translate the text dump line by line, no matter the amount of letters used.

On the other hand, when I was trying to translate Lufia at one time, I had the space limit to work with, and even then I could only translate the intro text as the game seemed to use a 'word bank', basically each word was given a number, and the text only pulled the word from that bank.

So basically the ROM would read like this :
Sinistral love island Selan magic you defeat

And then the actual text would be something like this :
I [2] [6], [4].
I shall [7], [1]s.

They called that some sort of text compression. I still ahve no idea if they actually counted word blocks between spaces, or called on actual position pointers, so I never messed with it to see if I could change the lenght of those words.

What I meant is that it would be much simpler if you could just change the word bank without conern about the spaces and other things. I gave DQ4 as an example as the text is already in, because it's not activated either. If you switch it to other languages there's a ton of things missing, such as checks for genders and numbers in the party or current leader, and items had no capitals as I would have expected normally.

The example was given that the script to actually convert those control codes into text is possibly into the cart but not 'turned on'. If they are smart they would make most games like this today, with the idea that it could be translated into other languages, so they should be leaving themselves some 'backdoors' open for an easier translation later, instead of composing with either space constrictions (Fenix Down, remember?), text compression (like my Lufia example), or any other kind of work around I don't remember of.

BelmontSlayer

Pokémon Master
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
Oh, don't take me wrong Belmont. I appreciate the work you're doing, I was hypothetically speaking.
Ah, sorry then. I didn't see your post coming off as hypothetical.

So basically the ROM would read like this :
Sinistral love island Selan magic you defeat

And then the actual text would be something like this :
I [2] [6], [4].
I shall [7], [1]s.
That's actually just another form of pointers. They store all the common words in one file (aka word bank) and then use the pointers to point to the individual words. Sadly, FFIV doesn't use that system and rather the pointers are in seperate locations and point to the individal words and phrases. I've been unable to locate the pointers, but if I could then the character limit would be a thing of the past.

QUOTE(FranckKnight @ Jan 2 2008, 03:43 PM)
If they are smart they would make most games like this today, with the idea that it could be translated into other languages, so they should be leaving themselves some 'backdoors' open for an easier translation later, instead of composing with either space constrictions (Fenix Down, remember?), text compression (like my Lufia example), or any other kind of work around I don't remember of.
...but they don't. As space isn't really an issue anymore (few DS games max out the cart) very few devs use word banks. Most use compression (on the individual files) and then just change the source code when it's localized. I'd love it if more devs used word banks, but they're just not practical anymore.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Elite Beat Agents
  • mthrnite @ mthrnite:
    hell yeah
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @mthrnite, Cheetah Girls, the sequel to Action 52's Cheetah Men.
    +2
    Pokemon Black I played that one a lot
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Honestly never messed with Pokémon on ds much
  • mthrnite @ mthrnite:
    I played pokemon once, was bored, never tried again
    Oh Dragon Quest IX
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Spent like 5 hours on switch one never touched it again
    Sentinel of the stary skies
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ds is 20 years old this year
    So MJ no longer wants to play with it?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He put it down when the 3ds came out
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, RIP Felix does great videos on the PS3 yellow-light-of-death.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    Eventhough the New 3DS XL is more powerful, I still feel like the DS Lite was a more polished system. It's a real shame that it never got an XL variant keeping the GBA slot. You'd have to go on AliExpress and buy an ML shell to give a DS phat the unofficial "DS Lite" treatment, and that's the best we'll ever get I'm afraid.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    The phat model had amazingly loud speakers tho.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Jayro, I don't see whats so special about the DS ML, its just a DS lite in a phat shell. At least the phat model had louder speakers, whereas the lite has a much better screen.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    They probably said "Hey, why not we combine the two together and make a 'new' DS to sell".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a DS Lite in a slightly bigger DS Lite shell.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not a Nintendo / iQue official product, it's a 3rd party custom.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nothing special about it other than it's more comfortable than the Lite
    for people with beefy hands.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I have yaoi anime hands, very lorge but slender.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I'm Slenderman.
    Jayro @ Jayro: I'm Slenderman.