I'm gunna publish a book.

tshu

On epic journey, brb.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm going to try publishing a book of drawings and things. Through cafepress, it's a tad expensive, but it seems pretty good. (Anyone know of any other self-publishing services on the net or anything that let's you publish-on-demand?)

I uploaded a few pages and the cover to preview. I think I'm going to name the book "roll up your pants son. we've got work to do." just because it seems fitting enough. Anyone got any tips or anything? Has anyone ever done anything like this before?

ChowMein

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Just so you know, I've never published a book myself.

Anyways, do you have a theme for the book? Is it a satire/comedy/reflection/memoir? The preview pages themselves are rather hard to follow - personally I'd probably look at the inside and wonder WTF? For instance, page 2 is quite witty but then all of a sudden on page 3, an entirely different theme is expressed. And the drawing quality vastly fluctuates; once again page 2 compared to page 6 has an entirely different feeling.

My advice would be to figure out who you want the book to be geared towards (art students? philosophers? blue-collar workers?) and center your work around that. As well, if you think the work is good enough (and it should be if you personally want it out on bookshelves) you should try and get it professionally published - their advertising, marketing and knowledge of the literary world is a huge asset to any starting writer.

Best of luck.

tshu

On epic journey, brb.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks for the input. But I don't consider myself a "starting writer" or a "writer" at all. I see what you mean about the theme thing, and I'm going to think about dividing the book into "chapters" with various themes or types of drawings. But basically I'm going for a book of random drawings with no real story to tell as a whole.

[M]artin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looks great from the pages you have already, sorta reminds me of awesome randomness a la Strongbad Emails[ish]...
happy.gif

[What happened to pages 4 and 5? It jumps from page 3 to 6]

mthrnite

So it goes.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
Please let me know how it goes with Cafe Press..
I was just 10 minutes ago telling my son (4yr old) that we should make a book.
He draws (I'll show you sometime) on a magnadoodle, really cool pics.
I was considering iPhoto book publishing, just to test out the concept.
Anyway, I'm very interested how it goes. No time to look at your preview now, but will when I have a spare second.

tshu

On epic journey, brb.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks for the links, nintendofreak. And mthrnite, let me know if you try iPhoto book publishing.

Myke

so tasty!
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
good luck. I know this may sound lame, but internet publishers are bullsh*t. you should really make the book then send it out to various publishers, if you want to be seen. Took me two years before a publisher picked up my sketchbook and printed it but it was worth it.

mthrnite

So it goes.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
While you're at it, why not wish good luck to Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin, due to land on the moon 38 years ago.
laugh.gif

This is one small step for man, one giant bump for mankind.

(as an aside, Myke does do really cool stuff!)

rest0re

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
i like your drawings.. maybe you should better go ask from some local printer. they would scan your drawings right so they would look allright. digital printing press is cheaper and you can get very good results. so id go digital and try for 100-500 copies first maybe?

Mehdi

Lemonade by Psyfira
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
I like your drawings soo much... man you should become a cartoonist XD. Like make your own cartoons with satire and such... Id watch it!

Site & Scene News

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: DAYTONAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!