I'm a slave to windows and I don't like it...

Goku1992A

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe it's just me but I never had a problem with Windows but then again I can't compare it to anything because I always used windows my entire life. An android tablet or ipad doesnt count.

But you have amazing PC specs you should be having no lag or errors.

xdarkmario

Philosopher
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Latest build, all updates installed?
no, i dont update the adobe suite too often. but even when i used to it will be no change. but its like mainly just after effects

if i has to estimate a stability ratio id say

photoshop 89% stable
Audition 100% stable
premiere 65% stable
after effects 43% stable

Last edited by xdarkmario,

jimbo13

Terry Crews #1 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was raised on windows my whole life, Hate apple and OSX (love the look, hate their practices) and yearn for Linux... As much as I like Linux my life revolves around the bug ridden shackles that is windows. when it comes to my pc I do EVERYTHING there is to do with a pc I video, photo and sound edit, 3d animation, AI workloads, learning game development and of course pc gaming. Some of this stuff can only be done in windows. and if your REEEEALY adamant you can get some games/ apps working in linux but lots fall short, theirs also Windows store games/apps ( i have like 2 games from windows store ) and while I don't play a ton of triple A games I know playing that on linux is very hard to do. And another thing is that i hear that Nvidia dosen't work as well as amd gpu in linux (works good but open cl is better supported on radeon...or so im told)
For me windows (especially 10) is a buggy, crashing, hair-pulling experience that frustrates me to no end and I wish i could jump ship but a lot of my productivity apps aren't even on linux not to mention emulators...

I use Windows LTSC, never have an issue. I recently got a new alienware so I decided to try out a mainline release, it sucked was buggy and driving me nuts. Immediately went back to LTSC, stability city.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10LTSC/

WG481

Official Waluigi Propagandist
Trophies
Somewhere. Look hard enough and you could find me.
XP
Country
United States
I use Windows with Linux Subsystem because of the following reasons:
  1. Literally everything I use is developed for Windows. Games, hack utils, software, everything.
  2. I get free Windows Pro because of where I buy my PC's off of.
  3. It's easier than sifting through thousands of distros to find one that suits me (and doesn't have me compile everything.)
  4. I'm a wimp when it comes to Linux because I don't want to destroy my main drive or software with an accident.
  5. Linux's users get annoying sometimes because of how they diss people for using Windows cause I've met some annoying Linux users in my few years on this planet.
  6. The Linux subsystem lets me do the stuff people have made for Linux. It's a minute amount, but enough.

diggeloid

Alex
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I abandoned Windows almost a decade ago and haven't looked back. I don't do video editing, but I do play a bunch of games, do software development and game development.

Windows is a piece of shit and MIcrosoft is an evil company, but those are the types of life lessons that are hard to communicate to people (especially younger people). It's one of those things you need to learn through experience, kind of like when you touch a hot stove and burn your hand: if you've never experienced being burned before, you're not going to take it too seriously when someone tells you not to touch it for the first time.

With that said, moving to Linux isn't exactly easy. That's why people stick with it despite getting fucked over again and again, since they have no where else to go. But if you do manage to make the switch, it is 100% worth it. My usual advice is to install Kubuntu, as the Plasma desktop is more familiar to people coming from Windows, and it's much more powerful and performant than Gnome.

BUT, regardless of whether you stick to Windows or move to Linux, one thing is certain: Don't use Adobe products

Seriously, unless you're currently a professional graphic designer whose employer demands it, do yourself a favor and avoid them. Not only are all their products bloated pieces of shit, they're overpriced pieces of shit that will only get more expensive, more bloated, and more shitty over time.

There are tons of viable alternatives to Adobe's shitty products today. Do your research and avoid getting yourself locked into one of the worst companies out there, especially if you hope to build a career out of it.

xdarkmario

Philosopher
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
:rofl2:
I abandoned Windows almost a decade ago and haven't looked back. I don't do video editing, but I do play a bunch of games, do software development and game development.

Windows is a piece of shit and MIcrosoft is an evil company, but those are the types of life lessons that are hard to communicate to people (especially younger people). It's one of those things you need to learn through experience, kind of like when you touch a hot stove and burn your hand: if you've never experienced being burned before, you're not going to take it too seriously when someone tells you not to touch it for the first time.

With that said, moving to Linux isn't exactly easy. That's why people stick with it despite getting fucked over again and again, since they have no where else to go. But if you do manage to make the switch, it is 100% worth it. My usual advice is to install Kubuntu, as the Plasma desktop is more familiar to people coming from Windows, and it's much more powerful and performant than Gnome.

BUT, regardless of whether you stick to Windows or move to Linux, one thing is certain: Don't use Adobe products

Seriously, unless you're currently a professional graphic designer whose employer demands it, do yourself a favor and avoid them. Not only are all their products bloated pieces of shit, they're overpriced pieces of shit that will only get more expensive, more bloated, and more shitty over time.

There are tons of viable alternatives to Adobe's shitty products today. Do your research and avoid getting yourself locked into one of the worst companies out there, especially if you hope to build a career out of it.
I tried to install kubuntu to the other day along with 4 other distros and I couldn't even setup Nvidia drivers for my 3090. As simple as that I couldn't do it (kept black screening on boot after driver install) if I can't even manage that I'm DEFINITELY not cut out for linux:rofl2:

diggeloid

Alex
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
:rofl2:
I tried to install kubuntu to the other day along with 4 other distros and I couldn't even setup Nvidia drivers for my 3090. As simple as that I couldn't do it (kept black screening on boot after driver install) if I can't even manage that I'm DEFINITELY not cut out for linux:rofl2:

I wouldn't call that simple. That's one of the harder things to do for beginners, since fucking it up means you get a black screen.

For what it's worth though, that's a new ass card you got there so it's possible you just installed the wrong driver version, or Nvidia hadn't shipped the 3090-compatible driver at the time you tried it. If you do decide to try again in the future, this is likely the only command you need:

Code:
sudo apt install nvidia-driver-470

Followed by a reboot.

CORE

3:16
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
POP OS / ArchLinux Learn and Liberate Yourself.

Until then Windows 10 LTST. Windows 10 Debloater. SimpleWall Firewall.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
i am dual booted, but i to A LOT of multitasking, while im rendering im probably playing a game as well or working on another project. i need to be able to go back and forth on the fly. and even though i have great specs virtual machines are not dynamic, once you lock in how much ram and cpu you want to use it will LOCK that off from the host until you close the VM.
Memory ballooning is a thing. You can allocate X GB to a VM but it will only use up as much memory on the host as is in actual use by the VM. Say you allocate 16 GB but the OS and programs on the VM are only using 4 GB, results in only 4 GB of actual memory use. VirtualBox seems to support this, as does KVM.
And CPU actually isn't reserved/"locked off" from the host by default - that is a feature of some enterprise virtualization solutions used in datacenters for VPS servers and the like, which you have to specifically configure, they don't do it by default. Not something say for example VirtualBox can even do. VirtualBox lets you set how many cores are visible to the VM, it doesn't reserve them or in any way guarantee that the VM gets priority. If you run a multithreaded workload on the host it can still utilize the CPU fully.

Many people are happy sticking to Linux and using Wine and/or Proton for gaming and the occasional Windows-only software they can't find a good Linux alternative for. But if that isn't good enough for your needs, there is a second option if you use a VM and you have a dedicated GPU as well as an integrated GPU, or you have an older spare GPU laying around you could use. By using PCIe passthrough you can give the VM exclusive access to the dedicated GPU (and you can do the same with USB devices like mouse & keyboard) resulting in performance near identical to running Windows natively, and perfect compatibility, and you can use Looking Glass to see the video output from the GPU without needing to plug it into your monitor separately and switching the input constantly between the host and VM. You do need a second GPU or at least an integrated GPU that the host OS can use, but it doesn't need to be anything fancy as you aren't gaming on it.

xdarkmario

Philosopher
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't call that simple. That's one of the harder things to do for beginners, since fucking it up means you get a black screen.

For what it's worth though, that's a new ass card you got there so it's possible you just installed the wrong driver version, or Nvidia hadn't shipped the 3090-compatible driver at the time you tried it. If you do decide to try again in the future, this is likely the only command you need:

Code:
sudo apt install nvidia-driver-470

Followed by a reboot.
i did that along with every other command i can google and none worked. linux worked as long as i didnt install any gpu drivers. even if i used the built in GUI to update the drivers i black screened

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
i did that along with every other command i can google and none worked. linux worked as long as i didnt install any gpu drivers. even if i used the built in GUI to update the drivers i black screened
Never been a fan of Kubuntu. Always something weird with it. Manjaro with KDE using proprietary drivers during install, imo. Granted, I'm also not a fan of KDE. :rofl2: Pop OS is a safe bet for beginners as well.

as the Plasma desktop is more familiar to people coming from Windows, and it's much more powerful and performant than Gnome.

I've never understood this disdain toward Gnome. I've tried KDE, and I never liked it. It never felt snappy and tight. Always had a good experience on Gnome.

Last edited by Kioku,

DKAngel

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I was raised on windows my whole life, Hate apple and OSX (love the look, hate their practices) and yearn for Linux... As much as I like Linux my life revolves around the bug ridden shackles that is windows. when it comes to my pc I do EVERYTHING there is to do with a pc I video, photo and sound edit, 3d animation, AI workloads, learning game development and of course pc gaming. Some of this stuff can only be done in windows. and if your REEEEALY adamant you can get some games/ apps working in linux but lots fall short, theirs also Windows store games/apps ( i have like 2 games from windows store ) and while I don't play a ton of triple A games I know playing that on linux is very hard to do. And another thing is that i hear that Nvidia dosen't work as well as amd gpu in linux (works good but open cl is better supported on radeon...or so im told)
For me windows (especially 10) is a buggy, crashing, hair-pulling experience that frustrates me to no end and I wish i could jump ship but a lot of my productivity apps aren't even on linux not to mention emulators...

Bug ridden lol windows really isnt that bad, but best of luck trying to get anything to run bugfree in linux lol.

also why does windows 10 crash for you? most of the time its not actually windows 10 fault it could be your hardware, u could have some dodgey drivers could be anything

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Most of the instability in Windows is due to your motherboard firmware and your installed drivers. If you have 16GB+ of RAM and an NVMe drive, you can usually disable your pagefile too, to prevent yourself getting "pagefault" BSODs. I use Snappy Driver Installer Origin, and it installs not necessarily the *newest* drivers, but the most stable and well-optimized ones. And the only BSOD I've gotten was from using an old version of SoftPerfect RAMdisk, and that was on me. (Keep your GPU drivers updated though, highly recommended)
why the hell whould u disable the pagefile? its recomonded time and time again to leave it alone and pagefault bsod have nothing to do with the pagefile lol "PAGE FAULT IN NONPAGED AREA. This error occurs when Windows is unable to find the file in memory,"

If programs start to use up all your available memory, they'll start crashing instead of being swapped out of the RAM into your page file. ... In summary, there's no good reason to disable the page file — you'll get some hard drive space back, but the potential system instability won't be worth it. the fact u disabled your pagefile is why your system is crashing lol

Last edited by DKAngel,
Reactions: Kwyjor and Kioku

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Bug ridden lol windows really isnt that bad, but best of luck trying to get anything to run bugfree in linux lol.

also why does windows 10 crash for you? most of the time its not actually windows 10 fault it could be your hardware, u could have some dodgey drivers could be anything

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

why the hell whould u disable the pagefile? its recomonded time and time again to leave it alone and pagefault bsod have nothing to do with the pagefile lol "PAGE FAULT IN NONPAGED AREA. This error occurs when Windows is unable to find the file in memory,"
Agreed. Generally speaking.. When a user has an issue within Windows? It's related to a change they made. Not the OS itself... There are the rare occasions where an update can do some damage... But that's just technology... Actually had a buddy who had to redo his W10 install because he was missing some system files after rebooting from an update. Not a fun day.

DKAngel

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Agreed. Generally speaking.. When a user has an issue within Windows? It's related to a change they made. Not the OS itself... There are the rare occasions where an update can do some damage... But that's just technology... Actually had a buddy who had to redo his W10 install because he was missing some system files after rebooting from an update. Not a fun day.
i just dont get why people screw around with it, 99% of the time out of the box if u just update your gfx drivers, windows will take care of itself, when u start disabling things like the pagefile which is important to have when u are using adobe products (adobe needs a scratch disk) that are ram hungry u want things being able to be swapped out of ram, dont bother with shit apps that take care of drivers, just look up your mb stuff yourself lol

Reactions: Kioku

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
i just dont get why people screw around with it, 99% of the time out of the box if u just update your gfx drivers, windows will take care of itself, when u start disabling things like the pagefile which is important to have when u are using adobe products (adobe needs a scratch disk) that are ram hungry u want things being able to be swapped out of ram, dont bother with shit apps that take care of drivers, just look up your mb stuff yourself lol
The first point I can explain why. Windows Updates doesn't always properly install the GPU driver. I reinstalled W10 a few weeks ago due to a mistake I made. I forgot to remove the provided GPU driver for my RTX 3080 and my games would freeze the system. I never let Windows handle hardware updates. Just my personal preference. The rest I agree with.

Unless I misunderstood..

DKAngel

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The first point I can explain why. Windows Updates doesn't always properly install the GPU driver. I reinstalled W10 a few weeks ago due to a mistake I made. I forgot to remove the provided GPU driver for my RTX 3080 and my games would freeze the system. I never let Windows handle hardware updates. Just my personal preference. The rest I agree with.

Unless I misunderstood..
gpu drivers i update myself, and then i just go look up all the chipset drivers which most of the time windows handles well

Reactions: Kioku

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I can't wait to get my hands on SteamOS 3. If I like it enough, I'll probably wipe Win10 entirely and install it on my desktop as well (along with Arch if that has to be installed first or separately).

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Been using Windows since 3.1 and not had too much difficulty with it. I did go straight from 7 to 10 though so I never had to deal with the disaster that was 8.

I do like to keep a laptop around for other OS that I use occasionally like Linux Mint or Win XP.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: never had one before that, and never had one since