Hacking iEvo legal?

Schicksalsheld

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hello, mine iEvo was seized by our local customs office, and i get an letter from an laywer which is the local agent of Nintendo of America, the letter says, "Gamecopy Adapters" (yes, an horrible name for flashcards) are illegal because,
1. it circumvents an effective copy protection
2. it contains an digital copy of the nintendo logo which is protected throug the trademark.

Does the CycloDS iEvolution contain anything at the shipping state? (i've ordered from 0shippingzone)?

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
eosia said:
it's ilegal because it runs comercial roms
Well not totally true.

It's not really "illegal" to own the card, it's more of a grey area to own any flashcard because they can't prove that you are using it for illegal purposes.

Now that's all I know about for US laws, I don't know about German laws

Sausage Head

Lord Sausage LXIX
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
It's an unauthorized cartridge so I guess they are right about it being illegal.
No flashcart, even if it doesn't play commercial ROMs, is licensed, thus making it illegal in some countries.

edit: thanks to the below reply i now know the word for it:
it depends on the law of some countries.

doyama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Schicksalsheld said:
Hello, mine iEvo was seized by our local customs office, and i get an letter from an laywer which is the local agent of Nintendo of America, the letter says, "Gamecopy Adapters" (yes, an horrible name for flashcards) are illegal because,
1. it circumvents an effective copy protection
2. it contains an digital copy of the nintendo logo which is protected throug the trademark.

Does the CycloDS iEvolution contain anything at the shipping state? (i've ordered from 0shippingzone)?

Usually the carts ship blank to avoid this issue. But the reality is that it's up to you to prove that. It's the same thing with the PS Jalibreak, there really wasn't anything illegal on the chips. But since no one really wanted to spend the zillions of dollars to prove that, they were seized and there was little you could do about it.

The point is that they are illegal until someone proves they are not. Since no one has come forth to do so, you're screwed.

Recorderdude

Musician, Animator, Buffoon.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Shit, germany again? First Graf_Chokolo, now seizing a FLASHCART? Thems german police must be reeeal easy to buy.

Srsly though, if they bring up any lawsuits, find a good lawyer, or you're screwed. If they don't, you're lucky. Make sure you don't buy any more pirating hardware until nintendo stops selling DSes/DSis (think about it, after nintendo stopped selling GBAs they didn't go after anyone who bought GBA flashcarts. It probably applies the same way here)

I think you have to download the ROMs yourself for the bootloader, so technically it comes blank.

Still, Nintendo can always claim since the cart CAN be used to play backups, it WILL be used to play backups, though it would probably be dismissed. So unless you're buying an Iplayer they could always say that.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was under the impression that the design of the DS cartridge was patented by Nintendo, therefore making all flashcarts illegal.

And, I'm completely talking out of my ass here, but doesn't the iEvo have copyrighted code in it to allow DSi mode access?

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
_Chaz_ said:
And, I'm completely talking out of my ass here, but doesn't the iEvo have copyrighted code in it to allow DSi mode access?
It's "legal" Because it doesn't ship with those codes, you need to get those yourself. It's shipped to you completely clean

impizkit

Lazy Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
_Chaz_ said:
I was under the impression that the design of the DS cartridge was patented by Nintendo, therefore making all flashcarts illegal.

It comes completely blank. You have to insert the code with the two roms to get it to work.

OmegaVesko

Trophies
XP
Country
_Chaz_ said:

The Action Replay DSi uses a similar code (G&W collection header, IIRC), but it's sold at retail stores.

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
OmegaVesko said:
_Chaz_ said:

The Action Replay DSi uses a similar code (G&W collection header, IIRC), but it's sold at retail stores.

Does the ARi card let you run homebrew like previous versions did?

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
spinal_cord said:
Does the ARi card let you run homebrew like previous versions did?

AFAIK there are two versions of the Action Replay DSi on the market. One that supports only cheats and one that supports homebrew as well.

Schicksalsheld

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Yes i own the version that let me run Code, but i need an posibillity to run code in ds i mode =(

And theoretically 90% of all Datel Products are illegal, because it's produced with reverse engineered informations....

Hmmm tommorow i will write the lawyer an email and ask him why the Cyclo DS iEvolution is illegal,
and @ all, if you compare the iEvo with an original cartridge, you determine that the iEvo is similiar but not exact the same, the iEdge has an microSD Slots, 3 notches on the side and the angel on the plastic near the pins is lower than the angel on the original cartridge, except this, on many positions, the size is different as the size from the original...

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Schicksalsheld said:
And theoretically 90% of all Datel Products are illegal, because it's produced with reverse engineered informations....

No, reverse engineering is completly fine. Even Windows has been reverse engineered.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-