Hacking [ideas?] Bricked n3DS XL

CrispyYoshi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Isn't a busted native_firm what usually causes the brick?
Hardbrick, yes. Softbrick, not necessarily.

However, now that you mention it, it's probably possible to recover a working native_firm, update to a clean 11.0 to fix all your other NAND sectors via recovery menu, then re-downgrade your 11.0 NATIVE_FIRM.

remix2k

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hardbrick, yes. Softbrick, not necessarily.

However, now that you mention it, it's probably possible to recover a working native_firm, update to a clean 11.0 to fix all your other NAND sectors via recovery menu, then re-downgrade your 11.0 NATIVE_FIRM.

That was my goal but since my recovery_firm seems to be busted as well.

I was trying to fix native_firm, then upgrade to 11.0, then downgrade back to 9.2

D

Deleted User

botched otp wouldnt turn on at all. this sounds like the person had tried to downgrade and failed

Meant the process in general (OTP). I've had a couple people bring me units from a super old guide that had you use CN + cart (before OTPHelper was a thing) [using a cart on a N3DS to get to 9.0 would cause that error]

remix2k

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Meant the process in general (OTP). I've had a couple people bring me units from a super old guide that had you use CN + cart (before OTPHelper was a thing) [using a cart on a N3DS to get to 9.0 would cause that error]

You're thinking that someone downgraded it to 2.1 to get the OTP and then upgraded back to 9.x using a cart instead of flashing back the n3DS firmware backup?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I'm not really sure honestly. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to try, though!

I know you can't flash back the full NAND backup of a different new 3DS but do you know if I could inject a full, good native_firm from another n3DS into this system's NAND backup?

CrispyYoshi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know you can't flash back the full NAND backup of a different new 3DS but do you know if I could inject a full, good native_firm from another n3DS into this system's NAND backup?
Actually, that's essentially what you are doing with the known 11.0 downgrading method! We have the keys to replace NATIVE_FIRM in the NAND, but I'm not so sure about Recovery_Firm. I'd definitely try and see if it's possible, though, because I don't think it would hurt to try!

Last edited by CrispyYoshi,

CrispyYoshi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok then I'll give it a shot when I have some time.
I tried reading up a bit. It seems that SAFE_FIRM is what we're really talking about, and it truly is separate from NATIVE_FIRM.

In the event that 3DS is bricked by instances other than NATIVE_FIRM itself, I doubt fixing NATIVE_FIRM will unbrick the system, but at this point I don't think we have any idea what's currently on that 3DS/how it was bricked/what version it was on before downgrading.

If patching NATIVE_FIRM doesn't work (which might or might not be possible depending on which system files are corrupt), then we'll have to find a way to decrypt and inject a working SAFE_FIRM, which I am not sure is publicly possible. (Injecting it back into the NAND, anyway. I'm sure it's possible to dump from a working 3DS)

A_Bricked_Guy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
However, I wouldn't take my input as a "Yes, this works," because I can't confirm it myself either. (I think I remember asking about this in the original 10.4 thread revealing the hardmod downgrade method, but I can't remember their reply. If you sift through that large thread, you might find your answer!)

I'm that guy who asked if this was possible in that thread and researched in other places too, but mine was bricked by installing O3DS cia files on a N3DS (ikr? I was so stupid back then), well, they told me that it was not possible to fix this in my case due to O3DS and N3DS Native Firm's structure being different and it's not possible to get xorpads between each other. But yours shows a screen, and at least the boot partition seems to be not so fk'd up as mine. I saw a guy with a problem which seems to be the same as yours on a spanish forum (elotrolado.net) who managed to fix his N3DS by changing the Native_firm and then he was able to boot into recovery.

And in the end if everything went as expected, through recovery you will be able to update all the way to 11.0 and then downgrade with the hardmod you used to fix the native firm and enjoy a very cheap cfw'd N3DS

Reactions: CrispyYoshi

CrispyYoshi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm that guy who asked if this was possible in that thread and researched in other places too, but mine was bricked by installing O3DS cia files on a N3DS (ikr? I was so stupid back then), well, they told me that it was not possible to fix this in my case due to O3DS and N3DS Native Firm's structure being different and it's not possible to get xorpads between each other. But yours shows a screen, and at least the boot partition seems to be not so fk'd up as mine. I saw a guy with a problem which seems to be the same as yours on a spanish forum (elotrolado.net) who managed to fix his N3DS by changing the Native_firm and then he was able to boot into recovery.

And in the end if everything went as expected, through recovery you will be able to update all the way to 11.0 and then downgrade with the hardmod you used to fix the native firm and enjoy a very cheap cfw'd N3DS
Very true! The fact that this 3DS manages to get far enough to display the "Error has occurred" message shows this 3DS has some potential to recover! I really hope OP is able to unbrick this 3DS by restoring only NATIVE_FIRM!

Reactions: Harvest God

remix2k

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried reading up a bit. It seems that SAFE_FIRM is what we're really talking about, and it truly is separate from NATIVE_FIRM.

In the event that 3DS is bricked by instances other than NATIVE_FIRM itself, I doubt fixing NATIVE_FIRM will unbrick the system, but at this point I don't think we have any idea what's currently on that 3DS/how it was bricked/what version it was on before downgrading.

If patching NATIVE_FIRM doesn't work (which might or might not be possible depending on which system files are corrupt), then we'll have to find a way to decrypt and inject a working SAFE_FIRM, which I am not sure is publicly possible. (Injecting it back into the NAND, anyway. I'm sure it's possible to dump from a working 3DS)

Thanks for do a little research :)
I guess I'll start by trying the native_firm patching first and if that fails then we can try something else.
The only reason I want to try and recover this board is for fun. I don't care if we try something risky on this one :)

CrispyYoshi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for do a little research :)
I guess I'll start by trying the native_firm patching first and if that fails then we can try something else.
The only reason I want to try and recover this board is for fun. I don't care if we try something risky on this one :)
I don't really think you can do anything risky to an already-bricked system! If you're hardmodding it, you'll be able to make a NAND backup, and can play with it as many times as you'd like!

Who knows? Maybe one day, we'll be able to decrypt/reencrypt the entire NAND and share our NANDs like the Wii!

remix2k

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Thanks for all the imput guys!
That's the reason I'm optimistic that we might fix this (the fact that it shows the error screen).

Stay tuned and I'll update the post with results when I have some.

Reactions: CrispyYoshi

A_Bricked_Guy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Very true! The fact that this 3DS manages to get far enough to display the "Error has occurred" message shows this 3DS has some potential to recover! I really hope OP is able to unbrick this 3DS by restoring only NATIVE_FIRM!

I really hope so, mine didn't have not even a single chance to work due to how hard I fk'd it up, but luckily i got nintendo to repair mine under warranty. After screwing up mine I was 2 months wondering and researching the same as op is thinking to do, but mine couldn't be fixed with it, but from what I learnt on my research back then, your chances of success are high!

Last edited by A_Bricked_Guy,
Reactions: remix2k

remix2k

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I really hope so, mine didn't have not even a single chance to work due to how hard I fk'd it up, but luckily i got nintendo to repair mine under warranty. After screwing up mine I was 2 months wondering and researching the same as op is thinking to do, but mine couldn't be fixed with it, but from what I learnt on my research back then, your chances of success are high!

:)

remix2k

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well the n3DS XL doesn't seem to like the USB SD card reader I have.
It worked fine in the past with my o3DS XL and a o3DS.
I get the blue bootrom screens but Windows sees the USB reader as an empty device and it doesn't recognize the nand.
Guess I'll have to order one recommended in a few of the hard mod posts.

GothicIII

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Yeah, new3ds are a real pain to find a card reader for. Much harder than O3DS. It's easier to order a supported one.

BTW. After reading I also think that the guy wrote an O3DS firmware onto it. It's the only thing you can mess up real quick + the symptoms are exactly those what other ppl posted after they wrote the wrong firmware files/updated through card.

If SAFE_FIRM is untouched and points to FIRM to load the chances are real good for you:)
It's a shame that we can't patch the firmware without xorpads (what otp helper does to boot 2.1fw) else you would have another way to restore this brick.

Keep us updated!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: iH