Idea for possible exploit

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by jimmyj, Jul 30, 2017.

1. jimmyj
    OP

jimmyj Official founder of altariaism. Copyright jimmyj

May 26, 2017
    Italy
    Hyrule
    about a few weeks ago I was playing with my cousin at mario kart 7 and the copy I had was from free shop because I left my legit cart at home, any way I was also using cheats to prank my cousin and just today that got me thinking: since the copy of mario kart was not signed and still worked + cheats could there be a way to inject some userland homebrew trough download play? So basically to make the second system make it think it's going to play mario kart and downloads the data from the second hacked 3ds but in reality it's receiving code to run homebrew. This is just an idea don't go thermo nuclear on me I'm not a genius this is just an idea.

2. McHaggis

McHaggis Fackin' Troller

Oct 24, 2008
    IIRC download play apps are signed with a different key so there's no known way to send homebrew through download play. The cheats worked because your 3DS was the host. I'm not saying it's outside the realms of possibility, but I don't know of anyone looking at this for attack vectors (and naturally it's more difficult as you need multiple 3DS consoles to do it).

3. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    It'd require someone to find an exploit in a download play app. Look at the recent DS Download Station exploit for an example, it doesn't exploit download play itself but it exploits DS Download Station's ability to send games to a DS Download Station client on another DS/DSi/3DS (which itself can be downloaded through Download Play), something like this could be possible for 3DS too although I'm not sure how much point there would be to it since you still couldn't use it to install CFW on the 3DS, it'd be limited to basic user mode homebrew.

4. jimmyj
    OP

May 26, 2017
    Italy
    Hyrule

5. NexoCube

NexoCube stop using piracy :(

Nov 3, 2015
    France
    Stack Pointer
    It's actually a good idea ! I have no clue if it is possible or not, but that's cool

6. DinohScene

DinohScene Temp's most beloved homosexual

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    Pretty sure this has already been investigated.

Zidapi likes this.
  7. Giodude

Giodude GBAtemp's official rock

GBAtemp Patron
    Giodude is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    May 17, 2015
    United States
    New York
    This idea has been brought up multiple times before. Many people have had these ideas. In this scene, there isn't a lack of ideas but rather a lack of ways or people to put that idea into motion. I applaud your understanding, and it's great that you understand enough about the 3ds to realize that this is somewhat viable, but threads like these are common and a waste of space. I tried to put that as nicely and understanding as I could.

Zidapi likes this.
  8. DarkFlare69

DarkFlare69 GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 8, 2014
    United States
    Ohio
    For Mario Kart 7, if you use custom tracks, the download play system will also see the custom tracks. Since the second 3DS is getting custom content from the first, my idea a long time ago was to somehow get the second 3DS to think it's reading a track or character or something but actually put an exploit into it. I'm not an expert either at finding exploits or how exactly they work but here's my idea since this thread already exists

Orangy57 and Giodude like this.
  9. NexoCube

Nov 3, 2015
    France
    Stack Pointer
    You need the 3DS to execute your code though

10. DarkFlare69

Dec 8, 2014
    United States
    Ohio
    you need a hacked one and then it gets the custom tracks onto the non-hacked one

11. NexoCube

Nov 3, 2015
    France
    Stack Pointer
    i know, but even if you put your exploit into it, you need the 3DS to execute your code

12. DarkFlare69

Dec 8, 2014
    United States
    Ohio
    unless it can be used to install another exploit (for example if homemenu hax was still around)

13. jimmyj
    OP

May 26, 2017
    Italy
    Hyrule
    That's basically what I said. Make it think it's loading content but it's loading homebrew