ROM Hack I'd like a crash course in C++...

Inunah

The Female Mistaken for a Male.
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
inuscreepystuff.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
Anyone have an extremely simplified way to learn C++? I read lesson 1 (Not exactly lesson 1, but still..) on some site every day for 3 weeks, but I could never understand it enough to go to the next lesson because it was too detailed (even though they were saying it all in simple terms)...

So far, my understanding of C++ is that a wizard did it. After 3 weeks of furiously studying the damn thing in an attempt to understand it.

So I'll need it more simplified than the stuff on this...

And I say crash course because I'm tired of attempting to learn things and not understanding ONE FUCKING THING after weeks of study and just want to learn it as fast as possible now.

I'm probably gonna get hit for this. *Prepares a shield*

EDIT: I remember learning some HTML in a matter of an hour just by getting a premade HTML page and having an HTML cheat sheet out, maybe something similar could be done with C++?

ecko

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
imo, the best way to learn a new language is by making (useless) programs

an example would be "hello world"
or maybe a program that writes 1 to 10 each on a newline.

then work your way up.
for example, a program which increases a number exponentially till 1024.

just throwing some ideas around
biggrin.gif

xakota

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Take a class, seriously. I was the same way with Java. I tried reading online tutorials and I just could not get it no matter what I did. I just started a Java class at college and I've started making (As the member above me said, useless) programs, and I understand it perfectly. I don't think I could have learned it any other way.

boogerlu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Download a PDF textbook on C++.
You can Google a bunch of them. And be sure to download a compiler and a C++ illustrator program(they are free) to practice programming.

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ecko said:
imo, the best way to learn a new language is by making (useless) programs

an example would be "hello world"
or maybe a program that writes 1 to 10 each on a newline.

then work your way up.
for example, a program which increases a number exponentially till 1024.

just throwing some ideas around
biggrin.gif

Wow I just forgot how to declare the main function of a C++ program XD

Been so long... I use java now.

wheatshelf

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
html is a mark up language. it's cake.

three weeks of C++ is nothing. it is a full-bodied, robust language. would you be comfortable speaking russian in 3 weeks? do what ecko says and start making a million worthless programs. you'll get it, over some time.

xdarkx

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
boogerlu said:
Download a PDF textbook on C++.
You can Google a bunch of them. And be sure to download a compiler and a C++ illustrator program(they are free) to practice programming.

A C++ illustrator program is ...?

On topic:
If you are trying to find a shortcut to learn C++, then I can tell you there isn't. HTML is easy because you mostly need to know what each tag does and how to use them properly. C++ nowhere near as simple as HTML, so you will need to get yourself a C++ book and learn from there. As for creating a C++ program, all you need is a compiler and a text editor. IDE is nice to have, but it isn't required.

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Well, I recommend The Book C++ primer plus by Steven Prata... It is VERY detailed as in: Explains every little thing on really good levels, comparing with real life objects and such.
smile.gif

Here you can see the first intro pages which holds your hand into the world of programming and also some appendix pages at the end describing different bases (hexadecimal, decimal, binary)
smile.gif

http://www.amazon.com/Primer-Plus-5th-Step...ader_0672326973

Masked Ranger

Trophies
XP
Country
I want to say this quote is stolen from a Pascal book. "Pascal is like having a water pistol pointed at everyone, while C is like having a .357 Magnum pointed at your head."

Inunah

OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
Well, I can't take any C++ courses since I haven't found a college in the area that has any of that.

I read Chapter 0. I went to Chapter 1. I didn't understand Chapter 1. I went back to Chapter 0. I kept reading it over and over. I never understood.

I can't buy books because I'm so poor I can't afford $1.

I don't understand why there would be 1-10 on each line.

I can't start making a million worthless programs until I figure out how to use C++.

Argh, C looks like the scripting language for RMVX. I tried to learn that once but it was so complicated all I managed was learning what a script looked like and that it required { and }.

Tried looking at howstuffworks.... But I'm stuck. It's too complicated. I don't understand how to use half the shit.

And I don't like PDF files because half the time they refuse to open on my comp.

...Sorry it took me so long to respond. I was trying to system restore a computer that kept restarting endlessly for the rest of the night.

Tricky Upgrade

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Mozambique
Inunah said:
Well, I can't take any C++ courses since I haven't found a college in the area that has any of that.

I read Chapter 0. I went to Chapter 1. I didn't understand Chapter 1. I went back to Chapter 0. I kept reading it over and over. I never understood.

I can't start making a million worthless programs until I figure out how to use C++.

Argh, C looks like the scripting language for RMVX. I tried to learn that once but it was so complicated all I managed was learning what a script looked like and that it required { and }.

Tried looking at howstuffworks.... But I'm stuck. It's too complicated. I don't understand how to use half the shit.

And I don't like PDF files because half the time they refuse to open on my comp.

...Sorry it took me so long to respond. I was trying to system restore a computer that kept restarting endlessly for the rest of the night.

If you find C++ hard to learn, maybe you should give up on it and try learning another language, like C# or JAVA.

Inunah

OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
Tricky Upgrade said:
Inunah said:

If you find C++ hard to learn, maybe you should give up on it and try learning another language, like C# or JAVA.
Are either of those any easier and could be used to make .nds homebrew?

Tricky Upgrade

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Mozambique
Inunah said:
Tricky Upgrade said:
Inunah said:

Well... they are easier to learn, if you dedicate yourself. I thought you could only make nds homebrews with C, isn't it?

Inunah

OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
Tricky Upgrade said:
Inunah said:
Tricky Upgrade said:
Inunah said:

Well... they are easier to learn, if you dedicate yourself. I thought you could only make nds homebrews with C, isn't it?
Shit, dedication don't do nothin' for me. I almost didn't graduate, even though I was dedicating myself to schoolwork.

Berthenk

Epitome of Awesomeness
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Why are you jumping in on C++ without prior coding experience? That hour spent looking at HTML wasn't the best thing you could do.
Try some HTML tutorials, like the one at HTML Dog, then move on to JavaScript.
After that, try that C++ tutorial again. If you still don't get it, try falling back to JavaScript or have a look at another language.

Inunah

OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
Berthenk said:
Why are you jumping in on C++ without prior coding experience? That hour spent looking at HTML wasn't the best thing you could do.
Try some HTML tutorials, like the one at HTML Dog, then move on to JavaScript.
After that, try that C++ tutorial again. If you still don't get it, try falling back to JavaScript or have a look at another language.
That hour spent on HTML has taught me enough HTML to move along.
tongue.gif

I don't like Javascript.
tongue.gif
It's too complicated for what it's worth.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: aeiou