Hitto

MKDS Tournament Winner
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
I don't get it, if you can install linux on a PS3, then... Aren't Cedega and wine and dosbox ALREADY ported to it?
What ELSE is this guy gonna sell? Flash games?

KizunaIatari

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I don't know what to believe anymore...
wacko.gif

WK416

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Err... Am I not reading this correct, but all I see is the company using the PS3 as a monitor and the PC do all the actual work.
That's exactly what I read too. If the PC you're using as the host isn't very powerful anyway, then this doesn't solve anything. The reason most console gamers don't pursue PC gaming is because of how expensive upgrading parts is in the first place!

Elritha

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
thebigboss14 said:
it could be possible I think the PS3 should fully supported it there's not much difference and it would be useful also but not for some shooting games.

There is a huge difference between the cell architecture and that of a PC processor. You would have a better chance of anything like that happening on an xbox 360 as some of the hardware resembles that of a pc more, and it also has directx.

I imagine it'd be possible emulate older non-3d games at some stage.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Just an idea - could you install Linux (I know this bit is possible
wink.gif
) and then use Wine to run PC Games? I guess you probably wouldn't be able to run the newest games, but some older ones should surely work. With a USB keyboard and mouse, or the PS3 controller mapped to keyboard and mouse buttons.

Da-Bomb1

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
kobykaan said:
Edhel said:
I don't have a PS3, though I thought I heard with linux on the PS3 they handicapped the 3d acceleration.

yeah its limited it cannot use the full potential/power of the PS3
frown.gif
Linux is open source, and the GPU is based on a now relatively old nVidia GPU...has nobody managed to get around that, or is it a hardware specification that intentionally limits it?

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SifJar said:
Just an idea - could you install Linux (I know this bit is possible
wink.gif
) and then use Wine to run PC Games? I guess you probably wouldn't be able to run the newest games, but some older ones should surely work. With a USB keyboard and mouse, or the PS3 controller mapped to keyboard and mouse buttons.
Wine Is Not an Emulator

It's simply a compatibility layer to run Windows binaries under Linux. Theres no way to get it working under anything except x86/x64 systems.

That being said, Sony has crippled graphic acceleration under Linux. But it can still run Quake 2 for example http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2En3SCxlJM but Quake 2 was ported to the cell architecture.

Basically, there wont ever be a way to run PC games on a PS3

SilverRyouken

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
actually if u install a linux distribution on the ps3 like ubuntu(which is quite easy to do) and use StreamMyGame it is possible to stream pc games to your ps3 and play them using a usb mouse and keyboard. premium and unlimited members can even use their sixaxis controllers at a cheap yearly price. however i dont really see any point to this other than having it on a bigger screen than your monitor. will the ps3 ever be able to play pc games directly? most likely not.

if u are interested there's a brief tutorial and demo here!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Goku likes to flip the bean to get others healthy