Hacking I want to trade in my CFW 2DS at Gamestop to get a New 2DS XL, but...

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Before you do the system transfer, you might want to quickly install all of the signed tickets from the roughly 40 or so pre-installed titles (i.e. tickets the belong to "legit CIA files") that have been released to date. If you do this before the system transfer, then you will be able to download these games for free from the normal eShop on the N2DSXL after the system transfer.
No, that doesn't work. I tried that when legit cias were first a thing.

Reactions: Cuphat

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, that doesn't work. I tried that when legit cias were first a thing.
I've tried it, and it does work. The titles used will display "redownload game" in the eShop on the target 3DS. I also know that NNID has nothing to do with it, because one wasn't used on the source nor target 3DS.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
I've tried it, and it does work. The titles used will display "redownload game" in the eShop on the target 3DS. I also know that NNID has nothing to do with it, because one wasn't used on the source nor target 3DS.
It really doesn't, I promise. As well as system transferring a system with legit cias, I also tried a system with actual pre-installed software and no NNID (never had one). When I restored the NAND backup on the source, the game came back, but when I visited the eShop they disappeared. Nintendo has some sort of thing that tracks which console is allowed to have which software.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It really doesn't, I promise. As well as system transferring a system with legit cias, I also tried a system with actual pre-installed software and no NNID (never had one). When I restored the NAND backup on the source, the game came back, but when I visited the eShop they disappeared. Nintendo has some sort of thing that tracks which console is allowed to have which software.
Here's what I did that worked:
  • On a CFW 2DS, I installed a bunch of signed tickets (no CIA files) from titles with preinstalls. There was no NNID.
  • I system transferred to a N3DSXL. It was OFW and has never been modified in any way.
  • In the eShop on the N3DSXL, those games were available for redownload. I tested an actual download with Animal Crossing.
If Nintendo tracked things the way you're guessing, it would be impossible to system transfer actual preinstalled titles to another 3DS, but that's not the case either.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Here's what I did that worked:
  • On a CFW 2DS, I installed a bunch of signed tickets (no CIA files) from titles with preinstalls. There was no NNID.
  • I system transferred to a N3DSXL. It was OFW and has never been modified in any way.
  • In the eShop on the N3DSXL, those games were available for redownload. I tested an actual download with Animal Crossing.
If Nintendo tracked things the way you're guessing, it would be impossible to system transfer actual preinstalled titles to another 3DS, but that's not the case either.
I wish I could test but I don't have any OFW consoles :-/ I am 100% sure that it will not work though. The tickets that transfer are ones that the servers say should transfer, not ones just locally on the console. If I obtain an OFW 11.4+ console I will test it and take a video.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wish I could test but I don't have any OFW consoles :-/ I am 100% sure that it will not work though. The tickets that transfer are ones that the servers say should transfer, not ones just locally on the console. If I obtain an OFW 11.4+ console I will test it and take a video.
Hypothetically, how would their servers distinguish between a signed ticket that should be transferred and a signed ticket that shouldn't be transferred?

Edit: I found a thread you started on the topic back in 2015, which makes me doubt my results. The next time I see this N3DSXL (it belongs to a friend), I will examine it.

Last edited by Lacius,

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
Sell it on eBay. Someone will appreciate the work put into the system and you'll receive a lot more back and in cash.
Hardly. First and foremost, eBay doesn't allow the sale of stuff like modded consoles that allow the use of pirated content. Sellers get in trouble for this constantly. Secondly, only a chump would pay extra for a custom firmwared 3DS since it's almost entirely free and risk free to do it one's self, and most everyone that keeps up with this crap knows that. Honestly, the only time I'd pay more than the retail price of a 3DS would be if it had one of the capture card hardmods.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Hardly. First and foremost, eBay doesn't allow the sale of stuff like modded consoles that allow the use of pirated content. Sellers get in trouble for this constantly. Secondly, only a chump would pay extra for a custom firmwared 3DS since it's almost entirely free and risk free to do it one's self, and most everyone that keeps up with this crap knows that. Honestly, the only time I'd pay more than the retail price of a 3DS would be if it had one of the capture card hardmods.
There are plenty of people who don't keep up with the scene who will pay more for modded consoles. I have been selling them on and off since Palantine CFW (I always state in my ads I'm happy to help people set it up for free, but most would rather buy one already done).

Reactions: Joom

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Wait, does the N2DSXL come on the latest firmware? If so, I am screwed.
It comes with a special version of 11.4 with N2DS specific support (ie not forcing you to flip up the nonexisting 3D intensity control)

11.5 is effectively 11.4-N2DS ported to all consoles (though you would still need to update both consoles to 11.5 for the transfer)

paperhammer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
no
It comes with a special version of 11.4 with N2DS specific support (ie not forcing you to flip up the nonexisting 3D intensity control)

11.5 is effectively 11.4-N2DS ported to all consoles (though you would still need to update both consoles to 11.5 for the transfer)
noice

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I'd consider Chromebooks an Android PC. +1