I want to make a game

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It would be cool to get a talented group of people together who are willing to make a game for free even as a hobby for now. Hmmm I wonder where I can find people with that kind of interest...

Seriously, would anyone be interested in starting a project? We could say we came from the underground, came from the temp!

Being capable of graphic design (and thusly I assume a bit of everything from vector to pixel work) you have a slight edge but you will mostly find people that are very jaded (not without reason either) and have met hundreds of people wanting to make their own game. Everybody has ideas (and ideas are worth precisely fuck all) and the "if I just had the time" type thing. If you are struggling with a particular aspect of making your game then that is an entirely different matter.

If you are looking to further your work skillset and make a game at the same time that focuses things a bit ("I want to make a game" is about as broad as "I want to write a book, I want to create a story, I want to make some music, I want to make a picture...." in that there are thousands of options for each). It varies a tad depending upon what particular field you find yourself in and I am not sure what the current and future hotness is in graphics world right now. Naturally web stuff features heavily in it and there is a lot you can do with games in web stuff (HTML5 and opengl are coming up, javascript interpreters allow for a lot, flash does very well for itself, java well java underpins much of android so take that as you will and that is before we get into the more esoteric stuff like ajax, server side scripting and node.js. Similarly if you do not know web stuff as far as basic CSS and maybe XML then go do that instead of this for the time being as being able to tart up a website is a far more saleable skill than being able to make a good version of pong.

Back on topic though I am not sure what to suggest here -- different programming languages do for different things and among programmers there is something of a truism in the phrase "you program very well in your first programming language" (after that you tend to use the constructs and style of the original language even if you are using a different one entirely). I have the little guide I wrote for ROM hacking uses but it is mainly for ROM hacking http://gbatemp.net/threads/rom-hacking-programming-languages-and-programming-tools-also-asm.324116/ and I am inclined to say you can not go wrong with python (it can program pretty much anything fairly well, it does not have too many oddities from an academic programming point of view, it does basic maths/data fiddling extremely well, it is the glue that holds most other programming languages together and it is on about every platform that matters with a lot of offshoots into other things).
My suggested book on it is http://greenteapress.com/thinkpython/thinkpython.html though http://programming-motherfucker.com/ and http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=6B940F08B9773B9F are things I will also link and say have a look at those too.

On game makers.. they certainly have their uses and I will not begrudge the current set their existence but for me they are roughly equivalent to remixing music in that most people just shit all over something but you will occasionally get something that really works but is quite different or improves upon the original. In most cases those that can do that already know proper music creation though.

Reactions: R4Liam

R4Liam

Artsy Dude
OP
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
Being capable of graphic design (and thusly I assume a bit of everything from vector to pixel work) you have a slight edge but you will mostly find people that are very jaded (not without reason either) and have met hundreds of people wanting to make their own game. Everybody has ideas (and ideas are worth precisely fuck all) and the "if I just had the time" type thing. If you are struggling with a particular aspect of making your game then that is an entirely different matter.

If you are looking to further your work skillset and make a game at the same time that focuses things a bit ("I want to make a game" is about as broad as "I want to write a book, I want to create a story, I want to make some music, I want to make a picture...." in that there are thousands of options for each). It varies a tad depending upon what particular field you find yourself in and I am not sure what the current and future hotness is in graphics world right now. Naturally web stuff features heavily in it and there is a lot you can do with games in web stuff (HTML5 and opengl are coming up, javascript interpreters allow for a lot, flash does very well for itself, java well java underpins much of android so take that as you will and that is before we get into the more esoteric stuff like ajax, server side scripting and node.js. Similarly if you do not know web stuff as far as basic CSS and maybe XML then go do that instead of this for the time being as being able to tart up a website is a far more saleable skill than being able to make a good version of pong.

Back on topic though I am not sure what to suggest here -- different programming languages do for different things and among programmers there is something of a truism in the phrase "you program very well in your first programming language" (after that you tend to use the constructs and style of the original language even if you are using a different one entirely). I have the little guide I wrote for ROM hacking uses but it is mainly for ROM hacking http://gbatemp.net/threads/rom-hacking-programming-languages-and-programming-tools-also-asm.324116/ and I am inclined to say you can not go wrong with python (it can program pretty much anything fairly well, it does not have too many oddities from an academic programming point of view, it does basic maths/data fiddling extremely well, it is the glue that holds most other programming languages together and it is on about every platform that matters with a lot of offshoots into other things).
My suggested book on it is http://greenteapress.com/thinkpython/thinkpython.html though http://programming-motherfucker.com/ and http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=6B940F08B9773B9F are things I will also link and say have a look at those too.

On game makers.. they certainly have their uses and I will not begrudge the current set their existence but for me they are roughly equivalent to remixing music in that most people just shit all over something but you will occasionally get something that really works but is quite different or improves upon the original. In most cases those that can do that already know proper music creation though.

And there's the box of frogs :S

I am aware of the broadness of the topic and that I come across a bit naïve to think I can step in and make a game, but I really want to add game making to my portfolio and I know I will enjoy doing it. I am going to get learning. I really like the idea of collaborating with people from here to make games. I have been part of this scene for a few years now and have grown to love it. There are many talented people here who I'm sure could learn more from such an experience. I want to do the same :) Thank you for the link I will check them out.

And I agree with that "you program very well in your first programming language" concept. After all, they are languages and my English is better than GCSE-taught French :) With this graphic design course I'm doing at University, I have been learning many skills including tarting up websites (I like that phrase :P) I just want to broaden my skills.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Learn action script; start developing for OUYA :P
OUYA? Oh nou... ;O;

Honestly though, if he feels like developing for Android then he should just develop for clean Android rather than focusing specifically on the OUYA which has a very small target audience. Moreover, coding for the OUYA (with all OUYA-specific gimmicks in mind) would require the... purchase of an OUYA. Since nobody in their right mind has one, I'm assuming the OP doesn't as well. :P

Reactions: R4Liam

R4Liam

Artsy Dude
OP
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
OUYA? Oh nou... ;O;

Honestly though, if he feels like developing for Android then he should just develop for clean Android rather than focusing specifically on the OUYA which has a very small target audience. Moreover, coding for the OUYA (with all OUYA-specific gimmicks in mind) would require the... purchase of an OUYA. Since nobody in their right mind has one, I'm assuming the OP doesn't as well. :P

As great as OUYA is (it marks the start of the android console takeover), I think I will make a game for a more popular platform to begin with.

Aeter

A walking contradiction
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Like Fast said if you want to learn a language that is not too hard, but very powerful and easy to learn, go with Python.
You can also develop games with Python using pygame.

calmwaters

Cat's best friend
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How would you like to make a Ben 10 RPG with all ten aliens from the original show? That'd be good experience; creating creature sketches, coding moves, etc. I'd be up for that. :) I'm not good with Python, but my VB teacher says that Python is very similar to VB. It doesn't have to be anything fancy; you're not shooting for an Elder Scrolls game or a Call of Duty title, hopefully. Try something simple like Chrono Trigger mixed with some sort of primitive game: like what you'd find on the N64... or go for something like Chrono Cross in 3D. I want to make a game too: they're just too complicated for one person. And too much work.

Ericthegreat

Not New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I know. As ridiculous as it might sound I want to try. So bottom line is: is it possible to make a video game without spending any money? And I mean no money whatsoever, the only thing being spent is time. Can anyone suggest a program or technique or skill for doing such a thing? I think I would make it for PC.

I have no idea what kind of box of frogs I've just opened...
Depends on game, but yea you can code and use free assets :

http://opengameart.org/ (some good audio here too)

http://archive3d.net/

http://www.soundjay.com/

BUT I gotta say, I agree with gahars but instead you could "magically" end up with a free pro version (hey the free version is actully pretty good now) of unity 3d. Just seek out the persians, they have all the "magic" you could ever need.

Also any coding experience is great unity uses C# android uses java, C++ is also very good.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
HTML5 is HTML5 and it's "just going to work", avoiding many platform-specific limitations which is pretty sweet.
Unfortunately, that's not how it is at all. From Cookie Clicker not working on many mobile devices to all the "chrome experiments" and "html5 experiments" and such running only in the (at the time) latest versions of (still currently) only a few certain browsers... there's plenty of examples that this is just wishful thinking by devs and people pushing the tech.

HTML5 isn't hardware-limited, but it is HEAVILY software/interpreter-limited.

DarkWork0

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Stencyl is another free to use coding program, what's cool about it: it's a mostly drag and drop coding. It uses puzzle pieces that have most of the coding used, you can even make your own for things such as animations and A* pathing(tower defense pathing for the creeps) They also have quite a bit of free tutorial games you can download from their in app stores, along with free resources.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Unfortunately, that's not how it is at all. From Cookie Clicker not working on many mobile devices to all the "chrome experiments" and "html5 experiments" and such running only in the (at the time) latest versions of (still currently) only a few certain browsers... there's plenty of examples that this is just wishful thinking by devs and people pushing the tech.

HTML5 isn't hardware-limited, but it is HEAVILY software/interpreter-limited.

That's only because it's not fully implemented and the standard is somewhat fluid, but this situation will change soon enough. ;) I still think it's a pretty good tool for upstarting game dev's who don't really know what they're doing yet and just want to doodle.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I'd suggest Game Maker too, I used it a lot from 2001 and forward (to 2005~2006), but time and inspiration ran dry eventually. Last time I used it was two or three years ago, in a Game Design course at Uni. I don't know how the new one works, and with the trial and all... but yeah, It's a great tool for beginners to desgin and play around with ideas at least. (Hotline Miami is (was) made with Game Maker btw)

EDIT:
Wooow, there's a free version, that's good. standard costs €40, Pro costs €80, and then a lot of plugins and stuff... the master collection (with all plugins) has a nice package deal of only €600... (instead of the €1020 it would've been if bought one by one). Back in my days, game maker was 100% free T____T
I... think I remember you from ZFGC? Issac Amisov as a purposeful misspelling of Isaac Asimov? o_o

Regardless, I was really big into saving all of my setup files back then. If you ever want to reinstall them for nostalgia's sake, I've got both v5.3a and v6.1 setups here:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/59972490/GBAandDS/gmaker5.3A.exe
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/59972490/GBAandDS/gmaker6.1setup.exe

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I... think I remember you from ZFGC? Issac Amisov as a purposeful misspelling of Isaac Asimov? o_o

Regardless, I was really big into saving all of my setup files back then. If you ever want to reinstall them for nostalgia's sake, I've got both v5.3a and v6.1 setups here:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/59972490/GBAandDS/gmaker5.3A.exe
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/59972490/GBAandDS/gmaker6.1setup.exe

Wow, thank you! This is great! And I'd recommend the OP trying these out for starters. :)

But sorry man, even though that's an awesome name, it wasn't me. My purposeful misspelling was of a entirely different kind :) (Long story short: LunarSilverStarStoryCompleteRules -> shortened to LSSSCrules -> Shortened to lsssc on IRC -> gbatemp IRC member thinking I misspelled Isaac from Golden Sun, but he misspelled it himself as "issac"... so yeah)

Isaac

American
Trophies
Here? Right here? What about, say... over there?
XP
Country
United States
Related
Like Fast said if you want to learn a language that is not too hard, but very powerful and easy to learn, go with Python.
You can also develop games with Python using pygame.
I am currently in the process of learning python. I can link you to a decent guide if you choose this route

Unrelated:
Wow, thank you! This is great! And I'd recommend the OP trying these out for starters. :)

But sorry man, even though that's an awesome name, it wasn't me. My purposeful misspelling was of a entirely different kind :) (Long story short: LunarSilverStarStoryCompleteRules -> shortened to LSSSCrules -> Shortened to lsssc on IRC -> gbatemp IRC member thinking I misspelled Isaac from Golden Sun, but he misspelled it himself as "issac"... so yeah)
He is no real Isaac :angry:

Aeter

A walking contradiction
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Related

I am currently in the process of learning python. I can link you to a decent guide if you choose this route

http://python.org has a lot of useful information.
I suggest you start at the beginners page here.

There is also a very good free book about Python called Dive Into Python which you can get here.
There is also a Dive Into Python 3 book available at: www.diveintopython3.net, which covers Python 3, if you decided to go for Python 3 instead of Python 2.

If you have any further questions just ask.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Though there are a few highly skilled types that could knock out a passable version of a classic game in a short period of time (done often enough but more commonly done to get used to a new programming language/style/IDE or a new system) the vast majority of all game related projects, whether you be largely unskilled in the relevant areas or skilled in the areas and wishing to use that skill, take a lot of time to do.

A this point I would try to focus things a bit and try to write a design brief covering what it is about and try to hammer out some of the mechanics and what goes into them.

broie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I know this Isn't my thread but it got me thinking and I didn't see the point in making my own one cause its pretty much on topic.

Anyway my question, would it actually be possible to create a game with software like say gamemaker or rpg maker with little to no programming skills? like say for example a basic Jrpg or platformer.

I know it wouldn't be exactly be a masterclass of gaming but would it be viable to achieve?

Have to do a project for college this year and I think one of the said ideas might be good for it, as long as it required little or no programming of course :P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    this is my first aurora tbh
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i mean, multiple have happened in my lifetime, but it's always been too cloudy
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    IT'S LIKE THAT ALMOST EVERY FUCKING METEOR SHOWER TOO
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You need to setup a time lapse camera, be neat
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I actually use a pic of it on my pc desktop cause its cool looking
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Apparently the pro versión of pizza boy is back aswell
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Gonna download the update
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Only 2 antiviruses detected the APK as a virus on virustotal so it Must be safe
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Cuz false positive
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Wait
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Eh nvm
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sadly, the clouds are setting in now

hey BigOnYa the clouds are coming from the south, maybe check again
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good night it's 11 pm
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    night
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @BakerMan Nuh I'm in for the night playing Fallout 4, ill look tomorrow night
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ok had let dog out, and yea still can't see it, oh well. Maybe tom night.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ballocks these drives aren't allowing raid
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That sucks, well you will get double the space then atleast.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy needs to come back
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Did you try Raid 10?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I did raid69
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The physical disk keeps disabling in bios
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    hey ken did you see the aurora tonight?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    also sorry it was too cloudy, that sucks