I want to learn Korean

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Langin, Jan 20, 2012.

Jan 20, 2012

I want to learn Korean by Langin at 4:02 PM (498 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. Langin
    OP

Member Langin GBAtemp's kpop addict

Netherlands
    I've been listening to k-pop for while now, and I don't understand what they say -.- I never cared about this before but I want to learn Korean!

If I ever get the chance I may even immigrate to South Korea... That would be so awesome!

But back to my idea, I would love now I want to give my live to learn this complicated language! I am great on school with English, German and Dutch. I think this would fit with those three.

But where to start? I know how to say I really hate it, thanks to a certain song but that's it. I don't understand the you know xD jeongmal sirheo(I know this is VERY wrong but still I know how to pronounce it a bit.)

Can you advice any websites and books? :)

Thanks all,

Langin.

Trying a very few basics like ''I am Alex'' ''I am 16 years old''

2. Hop2089

Member Hop2089 Cute>Hot

United States
    Rosetta Stone will be your best bet especially since you are learning so you can live in South Korea, just remember to keep practicing and after you are fluent you need to find a way to keep your skills up such as reading literature in Korean.

3. Langin
    OP

Netherlands
    Rosetta Stone is pretty expensive, but if I have the money for it(very soonish) I will give it a try! ^^

Thanks hop! :D

4. Arnold Schwarzen

Member Arnold Schwarzen GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    If ya really try you can learn a lot of basic stuff in no time I'm sure. At least you didn't pick Chinese which is probably way harder than Korean and Japanese. I'm half Korean and it was my first language (tho I got to understand English better later on) but I could never read or write it. Even took a Korean class in middle school and was failing until I applied myself and did it, many times with my father and using flash cards every day. So that's really important but can be learned very quick. Pay attention to pronounciation too.

5. Langin
    OP

Netherlands
    Is it okay if I can ask you a few things if I have questions for you? I may come up with questions.

Also how hard is the grammar level when comparing to English? Is it hard or very simple? Dutch is my main language and that's a hard language. And how about the verbs? Like I am, you are. he is.

Nah I really have no interest in Chinese, Japanese is also interesting, but that is for a later stage.

6. chris888222

Member chris888222 GBAtemp's Flygon Fan

Singapore
    This.

Heck I'm a chinese and I hate learning it. I can safely say Japanese is easier because:
    • It isn't tonal, unlike Chinese. (If I'm not wrong Korean isn't tonal as well)
    • You aren't just tied to kanji/hanja (for korean)
    • Probably there are other reasons, but I can't think of any for now.
    The good thing is that if you mastered Chinese, you can tackle kanji (in Japanese) more easily. Still, you can't fully rely on it.

After mastering Mandarin Chinese the other dialects are also fun to learn. Still, learning Mandarin itself is already a dreadful experience.