Hacking I want to insert an old save file from a different switch to my actual switch

Kayde_6ix

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Context: I bought a switch and all my save files were on it, after sometime that switch stopped working and died, but before dying I took my save files and copied them with the keys on my pc. After some time I bought a v2 switch and created a new save file for my games. Fast forward to today, I hacked my v2 switch, and want to continue playing where I left it on my old saves.

I don’t know how this works so if there’s something wrong with how I understand this please let me know.

I have my old.sav and my new.sav, old being the one in my pc and new the one on the switch. I want to replace the new save with the old one.

I’m using hactoolnet to encrypt/decrypt my old save file with the prod.keys from the dead switch. In order to achieve what I want I must:

- Use old.prodkeys to decrypt the old.sav
- Encrypt the old folder file with the new switch prodkeys
- Change the name from old.sav to new.sav
- Replace the save file on the sysnand with this file

At this point, should that work?

Other thing I cannot understand very well is what the savemeta folder does, if I do it this way, may I create a conflict on the savemeta folder? Thanks!

Last edited by FAST6191,

duckbill007

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
If you get your saves from Nintendo \save folder on your sd then it is not a game saves. Game saves are on user partition in the nand. If you get them from nand you can restore them as backup using DBI.
Post automatically merged:

And also switch saves are not encrypted, so you do not need to reencrypt them.

Last edited by duckbill007,

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

duckbill007

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I do not understand how do you match extracted files from 00000.... file with game? In case of DBI you just copy all that 0000..... files to DBI's backup folder. then run DBI and restore all that saves. You do not need to run games, create saves first or anything else. Just extract 0000... files and automatically restore them.
It’s a manual process. In the Nand they are given a unique number so you have to reference the name of the one you want to restore.

if DBI is able to automate that step that would be awesome! I will try it out and update my tutorial with the better method.

Kayde_6ix

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
This might help with some general concepts of getting the games saves out and back in to you Nand. You can absolutely use DBI to restore backup game saves in place of JKSV.
Hi thanks for that link! Read it but and sorry if I am mistaken, I do not want to put my save file in my emunand, instead I want to put it on my sysnand, so I do not think jksv or dbi are options to get them back. I most likely didn’t express myself good, I used tegraexplorer to browse through my sysnand, get those saves copied into my microsd card and my keys as you did with lockpick. After that I want to do what I explained or simply rename the old save file to match the 00000… name it has on the sysnand save folder. In case I want to replace my actual sysnand save with the save on my pc, I thought of using tegraexplorer to replace it. Should that work? And since I want to use that save to play online, I am kinda afraid I might get banned (since I do not understand what the savemeta folder is for and scared I have to so something there too in order to avoid a future conflict between the old and new save file replacement), once again sorry if I’m wrong and thanks for the help, I really appreciate it! <3

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi thanks for that link! Read it but and sorry if I am mistaken, I do not want to put my save file in my emunand, instead I want to put it on my sysnand, so I do not think jksv or dbi are options to get them back.
you would have to run CFW on Sysnand to use JKSV or DBI to restore. CFW alone won’t get you banned. If you block connectivity while you use JKSV or DBI it is minimal risk. The risk is still increased though.
I most likely didn’t express myself good, I used tegraexplorer to browse through my sysnand, get those saves copied into my microsd card and my keys as you did with lockpick. After that I want to do what I explained or simply rename the old save file to match the 00000… name it has on the sysnand save folder. In case I want to replace my actual sysnand save with the save on my pc, I thought of using tegraexplorer to replace it. Should that work? And since I want to use that save to play online, I am kinda afraid I might get banned (since I do not understand what the savemeta folder is for and scared I have to so something there too in order to avoid a future conflict between the old and new save file replacement), once again sorry if I’m wrong and thanks for the help, I really appreciate it! <3
This last bit could be problematic. What game are you wanting to restore saves from/to? Several of the Online games are closely watched.

Kayde_6ix

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
you would have to run CFW on Sysnand to use JKSV or DBI to restore. CFW alone won’t get you banned. If you block connectivity while you use JKSV or DBI it is minimal risk. The risk is still increased though.

This last bit could be problematic. What game are you wanting to restore saves from/to? Several of the Online games are closely watched.
Pokemon xD I have not edit the save file in anyway tho.

Kayde_6ix

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile

Ngl im kinda afraid entering the cfw on sysnand, any advice? Should I enter that mode and set airplane instantly or can I enter ofw and cfw to set airplane beforehand?

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ngl im kinda afraid entering the cfw on sysnand, any advice? Should I enter that mode and set airplane instantly or can I enter ofw and cfw to set airplane beforehand?

Yes, there is a greater than zero risk doing It this way. You will have to decide that for yourself.

Block it via atmosphere like so:

https://rentry.org/ExosphereDNSMITM
(in the example you will want to put a q after both entries in exosphere.ini)
blank_prodinfo_sysmmc=1
blank_prodinfo_emummc=1

Kayde_6ix

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
(in the example you will want to put a q after both entries in exosphere.ini)
You mean like this?

[exosphere]
debugmode=1
debugmode_user=0
disable_user_exception_handlers=0
enable_user_pmu_access=0
blank_prodinfo_sysmmc=1
blank_prodinfo_emummc=1
allow_writing_to_cal_sysmmc=0
log_port=0
log_baud_rate=115200
log_inverted=0

Should that be my configuration and I’m “safe” to work with cfw on sysnand?

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You mean like this?

[exosphere]
debugmode=1
debugmode_user=0
disable_user_exception_handlers=0
enable_user_pmu_access=0
blank_prodinfo_sysmmc=1
blank_prodinfo_emummc=1
allow_writing_to_cal_sysmmc=0
log_port=0
log_baud_rate=115200
log_inverted=0

Should that be my configuration and I’m “safe” to work with cfw on sysnand?
Those two entries are correct to mask your Prodinfo for both emunand and Sysnand so your real one will not be shared. Add the default.txt file and dns will not be able to look up *.nintendo.* so it won’t know how to reach the servers anyway. These two steps prevent your from going “Online: while running CFW and thus you will be relatively “safe”

Last edited by binkinator,

Kayde_6ix

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Those two entries are correct to mask your Prodinfo for both emunand and Sysnand so your real one will not be shared. Add the default.txt file and dns will not be able to look up *.nintendo.* so it won’t know how to reach the servers anyway. These two steps prevent your from going “Online: while running CFW and thus you will be relatively “safe”
well then!, I'll try it this afternoon and will reply with how it went, thanks! I feel more confident now doing this ;)
thanks <3

duckbill007

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
DBI is able to automate that step
Use latest version

It will threat raw save file as backup and can restore it to actual save, creating it if needed. All needed ifro read from that raw save. So you can even restore save if you do not have game installed.

Last edited by duckbill007,
  • Love
Reactions: binkinator

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Use latest version

It will threat raw save file as backup and can restore it to actual save, creating it if needed. All needed ifro read from that raw save. So you can even restore save if you do not have game installed.
That’s friggin awesome man. Such a pain in the ass. I already have 516 installed. Just need to create a test scenario on my Switch. I will definitely update the tut with results.

Danook28

Trophies
XP
Country
Oman
I restore game save backup from this wepsite to dead lghit platinum adtion. Use meny up when open the game nothing change at all me be my console cfw firmware 16.0.2 the reson.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: ahh nothing beats a coffee disaronno at work