Hardware i think my xbox is scratching my discs...

chavosaur

Chavo
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So i know how to take care of my stuff. Im 17, buy my own games, i put em into plastic sleeves to prevent any damage to them.
Yet somehow, my discs get scratched up. A LOT.
See, i started noticing all these scratches on my brand new discs that I was taking extremely good care of. My father bought mw3 brand new, and we always keep it in a plastic sleeve to prevent any damage from removing it from the game case.

Now i have an old white 360 (back from when the 360 first released) and it still runs fine. But im almost positive that its the culprit in my scratched discs. to fully test this, i bought a dvd brand new for 5$ from walmart. Put it in, let the xbox run for about an hour or so, ook the disc back out and i noticed a few scratches that werent there when i bout the disc.

So now my problem is, is there anyway to fix this? Anything I can do? Im pretty sure my warranty is long Expired...
And has anyone heard of cases like this before? I have searched a little but not seen any word of this happening to anyone else.

Lucifer666

all the world needs is me
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If you have any experience with opening up consoles you might want to take out the disc drive and see if you can find any obvious cause.
Other than that I don't really have any experience with this (or any Xbox-related issue) at all, so I'm sorry. I wish I could be of more use.

Fudge

Remember that death is not the end, but only a tra
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Lay it on its side, my 360 doesn't have this problem but I would assume if it was layed flat it wouldn't scratch the discs as much. Of course doing HDD installs isn't a bad idea if possible.

Reactions: 1 person

Black-Ice

Founder of the Church of Renamon
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Lay it on its side and keep it from moving.
But I would suggest getting it looked at as that problem may carry on.
I think mine may do it too, but the scratches are so small and insignificant its not worth the worry

chavosaur

Chavo
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My xbox has always layed on its side so I dont think that is the problem. But thank you, i appreciate the help from both of you.
I really dont want to open up the console though, i am not experienced and am very worried of damaging somthing

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
as others have stated, while the xbox 360 claims the option of standing it vertical it's never "a good idea" to do so (with any electronics really) because drives generally aren't designed to be used in that way. puts extra strain on the device.

edit: lol started typing before your post...

chavosaur

Chavo
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Haha its fine. See i wouldnt mind that if it was slightly scratching my discs, but for games that i use frequently, they get scratched so bad that they soon become unusable.
And my hard drive is not big enough to download all my games either, i already have mw3, black ops, and Gears of war 3 downloaded, which all of additiional map packs to acommpany them. And minecraft of course :P

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
If it bothers you so much, open your 360 and take out your drive then buy a new one. You can flash most (or maybe all?) Phat drives, too, so you could make backups of your games (or download them, whatever) if you want as well.

Reactions: 1 person

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Yes.
All Phatty drives are flashable.

It will require some tools tho but you can prolly snag it off off ebay for dirt cheap.

edit:
If you have a compatible SATA chipset then you won't need anything other then a long SATA cable and Jungleflasher.

Jungleflasher comes with a detailed manual on how to flash it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-