I think My school is using scare tactics to stop us from vaping

Discussion in 'The Edge of the Forum' started by Dominator211, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Dominator211
    OP

Dominator211 JFK's Jelly Donut

Oct 15, 2016
    United States
    Upstate, New York
    I myslef dont pers9nally vape vut many of the people in my school do. This morning in one of the bathrooms we found these things hanging from the ceiling. There have been several guesses as to what these are. Ranging from smoke detectors, to bluetooth receivers that send a signal to the office when smoke is detected. Upon closer inspection there seems to be nothing electronic with these things and just seem to be regular plastic. I took some pictures and i am genuinely curios as to what these things are. What do you guys think?
    20190107_102038. 20190107_102224. 20190107_102043. 20190107_102042.

2. Noctosphere

Noctosphere Adoptive father of my kitty named Zelda

Banned
    GBAtemp Patron
    Noctosphere is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 30, 2013
    Canada
    Back with kitty Zelda forever :D
    i know what this is...
    it's nothing important...

3. VinsCool

VinsCool Cattus Incerta Tacitusque

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    Pick it up and bring it home, see what happens the next day.
    If you get suspected, make sure to have hidden it in your best friend's locker.

4. Dominator211
    OP

Oct 15, 2016
    United States
    Upstate, New York
    I'm asking about what it is not how to deal with it

5. VinsCool

VinsCool Cattus Incerta Tacitusque

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    Pick it up, and inspect it closely at home, when no one could bother you.
    That's what I said.

If they hanged it there with such a slim string, you may as well snip it off from there and play with it.

Subtle Demise likes this.
  6. Noctosphere

Banned
    GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Dec 30, 2013
    Canada
    I agree, I think it's just a cat toy

7. TapNorX

TapNorX Member

Newcomer
    Jun 6, 2016
    Gambia, The
    I’m not an expert but for me it looks like some kind of air quality tester. Maybe to check if types germs can be found. Do schoolmates had diarrhea lately?

8. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    No marks, no apparent power source, no apparent comms package, very home made and hand labelled. Does appear to be open to the elements at one point; the red thing reminds me of some gaseous capture/exchange gear I have seen in the past

Usual suspects are traffic monitoring

But again between the size, lack of apparent electronics (you can power such things with a battery but no sense if there is available power elsewhere), location (nothing to be gained from suspending them in the ceiling like that) that one is out.

The open bit and what might be paper inside makes me wonder if it is a chemical trap of some form. It could be bacteria harvesting but I doubt a school would allow that for their normal students these days (not that I know upstate New York regs but most things I see tend to not allow such fun), and a swab would do better anyway. Faecal coliform and potentially airborne stuff might be an option here but it would be an odd one. Is this in the science block/area? If so it might be something of a teacher organised experiment as they are lest bound by regs as far as sample collecting goes, or they might be doing their own thing.

Smoke detection like that is one thing, though most such things in a modern school would be wired into something. Electronic cigarette exhalations would be tricky to measure with such a device ( https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4565991/ covers composition) and the sorts of gear most schools play with and techniques they teach kids. Equally while you can lean on kids with evidence that would never stand up in court and they will often break I don't see it as especially useful for some kind of forensics, not to mention a nice smoke alarm a like with some official looking stuff on would do far better.
    Could be ozone, sulphur or chlorine levels if someone used different styles of bleach.

9. Dominator211
    OP

Oct 15, 2016
    United States
    Upstate, New York
    I have come to the conclusion that is a science project base around air quality. I have one in my bag and I plan to examine it when I get home

Sinon likes this.
  10. Noctosphere

Banned
    GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Dec 30, 2013
    Canada
    THIEF

Sinon likes this.
  11. Dominator211
    OP

Oct 15, 2016
    United States
    Upstate, New York
    this poor kid didnt get his data im gonn atry and find out who was behind it tmrw thanks guys!!!!

12. H1B1Esquire

H1B1Esquire RxTools, the ultimate CFW machine.

Nov 2, 2016
    United States
    Earth, bro-dude.
    Clearly, this is by the Illuminati--they want your sweet, sweet farts, or at least that's what they hope.

Just remember: no matter how many sweet farts are left, if you steal or destroy school property, you're going to get some shit.

Subtle Demise likes this.