PS1/2 I think my PS2 laser is dying

jumpman17

He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I've been playing PS2 pretty much non-stop this last week now that college is out for the summer. However, I think the laser is dying. Along with the modchip I bought, I also got another chip that is supposed to stop the laser from dying by stopping it when damage is close. Every once in a while after a long play session, and my sister tries to play a game, she can't load any games for awhile (or vice versa if she played first) which I assume is the work of the second chip I bought.

Tonight is the worst it's been though. I was only able to play for about 30 minutes and then the game locked up before I could save. I tried to restart the game but it would just lock up on the title screen. So I let it sit for about 20 minutes and then tried again and beat the boss the game locked up on before and then saved, and played for another 5 minutes for a total of about 20 minutes this time and then the game locked up and the same problem as before with rebooting.

Is my laser dying? Or am I just not giving it enough time in between gaming sessions to revitalize? If it is dying, can I buy another laser to replace the old one? Please don't say my PS2 is on it's deathbed. There are so many games I haven't played yet. :'(

lagman

I wish I was green.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Mexico
mmmm, kinda bad night, huh?
frown.gif

Why don't you get a HDD loader? It will give you a better game experience.

lagman

I wish I was green.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Mexico

jumpman17

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well, it seems I can buy a new laser for $20 from divineo so that can always be my last resort if needed.

iza

gbatemp, the new crack
Trophies
Website
myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
does your make any unusual sounds? maybe thats what's happening to mine.... i'll pop in GoW2 and at first it booted fine, and the game play lagged. but a couple saves later, it froze and makes a pretty loud sound repetitivly, but the disc is undmged.

jumpman17

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
does your make any unusual sounds? maybe thats what's happening to mine.... i'll pop in GoW2 and at first it booted fine, and the game play lagged. but a couple saves later, it froze and makes a pretty loud sound repetitivly, but the disc is undmged.

Nope, no weird sounds. Just plays fine until it has to load a new area or if its a cutscene, it will start jumping, and then eventually lock up and repeat that half second of audio just played over and over and over.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @salazarcosplay, I heard herbert stopped appearing on the show