I think my PS2 laser is dying

Discussion in 'Sony PlayStation 1 & 2' started by jumpman17, May 18, 2007.

May 18, 2007

I think my PS2 laser is dying by jumpman17 at 4:10 AM (1,072 Views / 0 Likes) 8 replies

1. jumpman17
    OP

Former Staff jumpman17 He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!

United States
    I've been playing PS2 pretty much non-stop this last week now that college is out for the summer. However, I think the laser is dying. Along with the modchip I bought, I also got another chip that is supposed to stop the laser from dying by stopping it when damage is close. Every once in a while after a long play session, and my sister tries to play a game, she can't load any games for awhile (or vice versa if she played first) which I assume is the work of the second chip I bought.

Tonight is the worst it's been though. I was only able to play for about 30 minutes and then the game locked up before I could save. I tried to restart the game but it would just lock up on the title screen. So I let it sit for about 20 minutes and then tried again and beat the boss the game locked up on before and then saved, and played for another 5 minutes for a total of about 20 minutes this time and then the game locked up and the same problem as before with rebooting.

Is my laser dying? Or am I just not giving it enough time in between gaming sessions to revitalize? If it is dying, can I buy another laser to replace the old one? Please don't say my PS2 is on it's deathbed. There are so many games I haven't played yet. :'(

2. lagman

Former Staff lagman I wish I was green.

Mexico
    mmmm, kinda bad night, huh? [​IMG]
    Why don't you get a HDD loader? It will give you a better game experience.

3. jumpman17
    OP

United States
    I have a PS2 slim, I don't know very much about the HDD thingys but I didn't think they were compatable with the slim models.

4. fischju_original

Banned fischju_original I used to be a jerk before i got banned

United States
    Arent those like, $20? I got an xbox laser for $14 from ebay that worked perfectly

5. lagman

Former Staff lagman I wish I was green.

Mexico
    It seems so: [​IMG]http://www.hdadvance.com/usb_extreme_whatis.htm

6. jimmy j

Member jimmy j Awesome for hire.

United Kingdom
    will that work with an unmodded ps2?

7. jumpman17
    OP

United States
    Well, it seems I can buy a new laser for $20 from divineo so that can always be my last resort if needed.

8. iza

Member iza gbatemp, the new crack

United States
    does your make any unusual sounds? maybe thats what's happening to mine.... i'll pop in GoW2 and at first it booted fine, and the game play lagged. but a couple saves later, it froze and makes a pretty loud sound repetitivly, but the disc is undmged.

9. jumpman17
    OP

United States
    Nope, no weird sounds. Just plays fine until it has to load a new area or if its a cutscene, it will start jumping, and then eventually lock up and repeat that half second of audio just played over and over and over.