Hacking I successfully replaced the G6lite battery

poisonjam105

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, my g6lite battery has been acting up for months. Relatively often, it would lose its charge, and I would lose my data. These past couple days, it had gone completely dead. No charging through USB or DS would help it. Today I decided to take a risk, and try replacing the battery.

I couldn't find a perfect match for the panasonic CL 1220. However, I found a CR 1220 that looked almost exactly the same that I decided to try.

After accidentally breaking the connectors off, and soldering them back into place with the new battery, my g6 is working perfectly again! Safes are backed up every single time without fail so far. I've tried loading and deleting roms and save files as well, and both seem to be working perfectly. The 5 dollar battery and a little elbow grease saved me a hell of a lot of trouble instead of trying to get a replacement from M3 or Hopebuy. If anyone is has any questions or wants to know more, just let me know, and I'd be glad to help.

-Chris

Deaddy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think my G6 battery might be dead, I don't know how to solder. I see that the battery is sandwiched between these two flat thin contact pads, are those soldered to the battery? It seems stuck in there pretty good. I was wondering if there's any way to just slide it out of there and slip a new battery back in.

WhateverDude

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Are you sure? A way to check if your battery is dead is to save a game (any game), turn off your DS (not soft reset!) and turn it back on. If it doesn't say "Processing data..." and it didn't actually save, then your battery is dead. If it's saving normally even when you turn off your DS, then the battery is ok, don't worry.

The battery on the G6 is mainly for keeping the contents of the SRAM there.

rendil

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I've had a dead battery since I bought mine. I got the Chinese version before the English version was available, so I decided to just deal with it rather than shipping back to China and hoping for a replacement. It works fine as long as I always soft-reset before turning it off.

I would appreciate any additional details or advice you can give. You said you accidentally broke the connectors - does that mean you can remove the battery without breaking them?

rendil

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Also, can you give a link to the battery that you purchased? I see a lot of different brands for CR1220's, and want to compare the ones I see to what you got.

Deaddy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Are you sure? A way to check if your battery is dead is to save a game (any game), turn off your DS (not soft reset!) and turn it back on. If it doesn't say "Processing data..." and it didn't actually save, then your battery is dead. If it's saving normally even when you turn off your DS, then the battery is ok, don't worry.

The battery on the G6 is mainly for keeping the contents of the SRAM there.
Well apparently it's not dead, I did a test and it held a game save for over 6 hrs while I slept, and copied it over in the morning when I turned the DS back on. For some reason Pokemon Emerald isn't detecting the realtime clock, as you have seen in the other thread. A dead battery was a theory but apparently its not the case.

It would still be nice to get more info on battery replacement for the future.

MillionsKnives

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I agree about having more information about replacing the battery for my G6 Lite for when it is necessary. I do soft-reset my DS everytime I finish playing a game to write the save to the memory, so it isn't a big deal... but there are sometimes when soft-reset doesn't work with a game and I hate to turn the DS off, on and then off again.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: