Hacking I stripped a screw trying to open my DS Lite

joelozy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A couple weeks ago, my DS buttons broke. So I went onto DealExtreme and ordered replacement pads and a screwdriver. I got all of the screws off, except for one triwing one. I kept on trying, and I messed up the screw. And worse, the volume button fell inside of the DS, so I can't close it up anymore. How much will sending it into Nintendo cost?

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
joelozy said:
A couple weeks ago, my DS buttons broke. So I went onto DealExtreme and ordered replacement pads and a screwdriver. I got all of the screws off, except for one triwing one. I kept on trying, and I messed up the screw. And worse, the volume button fell inside of the DS, so I can't close it up anymore. How much will sending it into Nintendo cost?
You voided the warranty when you tried to open. Sending it back would only get you laughed at by Nintendo.

joelozy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
_Chaz_ said:
joelozy said:
You voided the warranty when you tried to open. Sending it back would only get you laughed at by Nintendo.

I have no warranty. I got this in 2006.

XXLANCEXX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do What i did....buy a extra shell for like 10 bucks and when you get that shell. use a soldering iron and melt the area on where that screw was and replace the DS Lite with the new shell w/o sending it to Ninty

joelozy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
XXLANCEXX said:
Do What i did....buy a extra shell for like 10 bucks and when you get that shell. use a soldering iron and melt the area on where that screw was and replace the DS Lite with the new shell w/o sending it to Ninty

OK, that seems way too hard and complicated. I think I should just put the screws back on, and say that I dropped my DS, and it popped open. Will they buy it?

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
joelozy said:
XXLANCEXX said:

OK, that seems way too hard and complicated. I think I should just put the screws back on, and say that I dropped my DS, and it popped open. Will they buy it?

Not at all.

And since it's past warranty, they wouldn't do anything anyway.

XXLANCEXX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok since it popped open buy a new shell....i reccomend the electric blue case....Dark Blue not colbat
smile.gif

joelozy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
_Chaz_ said:
joelozy said:
XXLANCEXX said:

Not at all.

And since it's past warranty, they wouldn't do anything anyway.

So they don't have like a "I'll replace your product with a refurb one for 1/2 the price" thing like Apple does? That sucks. One screw, and It looks like I have a bricked DS. Or maybe I still can get it out. The screw that I messed up is the one right below the R button. How do I remove it?

EDIT: No, it didn't pop open. Well not completely. The screw is still stuck there. But the rest of it came right open.

Panzer Tacticer

veteran human
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sooooooo assuming you are still stuck and wondering what to do, here is what you do.

Go to the local hardware store, and ask the chap if he can help you drill out a VERY small screw with the correct size drill bit.

If you can locate a model shop, even better. Best of all worlds, a model railroader (they specialize in drilling very small holes into metal). You can also check into the R/C hobby scene (same skill set).

Once the screw is drilled out, you are no longer stuck with getting the screw out. You will need a new screw though.

joelozy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's a tri-wing screw. And it's recessed in the DS. A rubber band wouldn't work because of how recessed it is. And another problem- I can't turn on the DS, I put the battery back in. Guess I'll wait for the 3DS.

joelozy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just checked eBay, and DS Lites are still like $120 bucks. That sucks.

EDIT: Do you think a repair shop could easily fix it?

joelozy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
imshortandrad said:
You're screwed.

GET IT? IT'S PUNNY.

Thanks for your help... I tried to enter my serial number on nuntendo for repair, and it doesn't work. For some reason, my DS was never registered. I don't want to call Nintendo, because I would have to lie over the phone, and I'm no good at that. Stupid screw.

BakuFunn

Flameproof.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Just call Nintendo and ask for repairs... You'll have to pay for it because you're not under warranty, but it's better than paying for a new DS. Say you dropped it, and everything's messed up. Pretend to be an idiot. that helps a lot.

You could always try to go the way of other professionals to remove the screw and finish replacing the case, but if you're lazy, just send it into Nintendo.

EDIT:
Dangy said:
joelozy said:
Can we stay on topic here?

Your question has already been answered, there is no topic to stay on.

COMMENCE PUNS. :3
Then don't post here. Go back to the Testing Area.

EDIT2: Edge of the Forum. My bad.

joelozy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BakuFunn said:
Just call Nintendo and ask for repairs... You'll have to pay for it because you're not under warranty, but it's better than paying for a new DS. Say you dropped it, and everything's messed up. Pretend to be an idiot. that helps a lot.

You could always try to go the way of other professionals to remove the screw and finish replacing the case, but if you're lazy, just send it into Nintendo.

I was going to say that I dropped it in an earlier post. How much would it cost for Nintendo to replace it? And what other professionals could help (where do I find them?)

PS: Go pun somewhere else.

EDIT: 18 people are reading this, but no one is posting.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto