Hardware I need your help with something (LCD related)

NoNAND

Give me back my legions!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Hi there folks!
I have thus Nintendo Switch that sort of works.
It displays just fine on the dock but no image, just black screen on handheld modem the touch input and audio output seem to work however.
This post is a follow-up of this thread I made a few months earlier regarding the same issue.
My Switch works just fine on the dock but doesn't display image or backlight on handheld mode as I said.
Someone said that the LCD connector socket could have gotten bent or damaged. That could have happened indeed but I noticed something different today
As I was playing some pokemon sword on my Switch whilst docked I noticed that the screen adhesive had melted and the digitiser slowly coming apart. I took a plastic pry tool and gently pried it off. As lifted the LCD display I noticed that there was this small tiny ribbon cable not connected or attached to anything
Is this the backlight ribbon cable?
Could my friend who swapped the shell just had forgot to put that ribbon cable back in and I was worried for nothing?
Here's a picture to give you a more clear sight of what's going on.
IMG_20200317_155520.jpg

By the way guys, I ordered some adhesive strips and some adhesive glue for my Nintendo Switch
My question is. Do I need to apply both the stickers and the glue or just one of them is enough?
I also have a spare digitiser should I use the old one or replace it with the new digitiser?

GrimDim

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Is that the backlight? :rofl: Should be in the lower left corner when you look at the switch from the back. Check if the socket for it is empty when you open up the switch.
It sure looks like it. Here is where it should go:
nintendo-switch-motherboard.png

Last edited by GrimDim,

NoNAND

Give me back my legions!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Is that the backlight? :rofl: Should be in the lower left corner when you look at the switch from the back. Check if the socket for it is empty when you open up the switch.
It sure looks like it. Here is where it should go:
View attachment 199845
Hmmm... That seems like a long way. The cable seems too short to reach that far
Oh nevermind
I forgot that when you flip it around its on the opposite side.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

@GrimDim sorry pal. I'm a noob when it comes to hardware stuff

@Lacius would you mind stepping in and shedding some light on this matter.
Your wisdom is greatly needed and appreciated

GrimDim

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hmmm... That seems like a long way. The cable seems too short to reach that far
Oh nevermind
I forgot that when you flip it around its on the opposite side.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

@GrimDim sorry pal. I'm a noob when it comes to hardware stuff

@Lacius would you mind stepping in and shedding some light on this matter.
Your wisdom is greatly needed and appreciated
No worries! Why don't you remove the back and take a look? It's pretty straightforward, do you have the required bits/screwdrivers?
---
From what you said and the pic I'm 99.9% sure that's the backlight. There are 3 ribbon cables going to the front display assembly. Two for the screen: a wide one for the display and a thin one for the backlight, plus another wide one for the digitizer.
61FfLxvONdL._AC_SL1050_.jpg

Last edited by GrimDim,
Reactions: NoNAND

NoNAND

Give me back my legions!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
No worries! Why don't you remove the back and take a look? It's pretty straightforward, do you have the required bits/screwdrivers?
---
From what you said and the pic I'm 99.9% sure that's the backlight. There are 3 ribbon cables going to the front display assembly. Two for the screen: a wide one for the display and a thin one for the backlight, plus another wide one for the digitizer.
View attachment 199847
Thanks! Yes I'm aware of the three ribbon cables
Unfortunately no I don't have the needed screwdrivers to pull that off
I've ordered a special Nintendo screwdrivers kit with pry tools and everything needed to get the job done
Let's wait for my package to be delivered to me
Fingers crossed

By the way
In case a screw gets stripped
What can I do with it afterwards?

GrimDim

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Thanks! Yes I'm aware of the three ribbon cables
Unfortunately no I don't have the needed screwdrivers to pull that off
I've ordered a special Nintendo screwdrivers kit with pry tools and everything needed to get the job done
Let's wait for my package to be delivered to me
Fingers crossed
Nice, I'm sure you will do well! You'll only need two bits, a Phillips 00 & Y00 (or Y000, initially the screwhead grooves can be a little too tight).

By the way
In case a screw gets stripped
What can I do with it afterwards?
If you strip a screwhead (but still manage to get it out), don't put it back in, you can get replacement screws on ebay for example. But as long as you're delicate when unscrewing stuff you should be fine :) (and don't overtighten when screwing back in)

Last edited by GrimDim,

tomsek68

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
It is surely the backlight. While the switch is on, shine a bright light on the LCD (in a dark environment). If the other ribbon is connected correctly, the contents should show up on the screen.
Make sure you don't damage the backlight connector as it is really fragile.

NoNAND

Give me back my legions!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
It is surely the backlight. While the switch is on, shine a bright light on the LCD (in a dark environment). If the other ribbon is connected correctly, the contents should show up on the screen.
Waaaaiht a second
Using a flashlight to check whether the screen works or not in the dark. That reminds of the Gameboy advance days in which we had to play in the dark through the help of a flashlight

By the way. Thanks. That's a really nice idea!

Reactions: tomsek68

NoNAND

Give me back my legions!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Uhm excuse me again.
So I happen to have autorcm enabled on my swi5 ever since long long ago. Do you know of any payload that I can inject which can disable autorcm?
Like I just need a payload that i will have to inject and automatically remove autorcm. Is there such payload
Haven't been around the switch scene lately.

GrimDim

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Uhm excuse me again.
So I happen to have autorcm enabled on my swi5 ever since long long ago. Do you know of any payload that I can inject which can disable autorcm?
Like I just need a payload that i will have to inject and automatically remove autorcm. Is there such payload
Haven't been around the switch scene lately.
I'm not aware of such a payload, but what you could do is use bricmii even without a screen, since it only requires simple button manipulation:

Inject the payload -> wait a bit to make sure it's loaded -> tap volume up (+) -> tap the power button.
This should remove autorcm.

Last edited by GrimDim,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Waaaaiht a second
Using a flashlight to check whether the screen works or not in the dark. That reminds of the Gameboy advance days in which we had to play in the dark through the help of a flashlight

By the way. Thanks. That's a really nice idea!
Did you try it? I'm curious. Seen it work for other people.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway

tomsek68

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
  • If you can, slide the cable in #2.
  • If you can't, don't mess with it, put it in #1. Most times you can easily "fish out" the ribbon. (obviously be careful, the board and the ribbon are _fragile_)
  • ...Or just stick the LCD back as it is. This way you will need to remove the motherboard too, then pick the ribbon from the hole. While assembling, make sure you don't left the wifi/bt aux connectors under the board. They are really sneaky. Don't force the board in either way. If you need help, look at Ifixit's teardown or ask.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sjy9nc5QwBY