I need someone to compile a program from source.

spoonm

Can count to 3.
Trophies
Website
spoonm.org
XP
Country
Brazil
The project you linked is using CMake instead of a regular GNU/Make makefile.

That's cool. Some projects don't even include makefiles. If you're familiar with the command line, these steps should be enough:
  • cd to the root of the repository. (To get it off github, git clone https://github.com/FGRE/nptools, then navigate to nptools/)
  • Use mkdir to create a build directory. (mkdir build)
  • cd to build.
  • Run cmake .. to get CMake to read CMakeLists.txt files and handle the rest of the compilation process.
Install CMake and have its process in your PATH environment variable. If you don't want to have it there permanently, run set PATH=%PATH%;C:\Path\To\CMake in the command prompt instance you're running.

I have never used CMake, so I can't help you with troubleshooting, in case you do encounter problems. Keep in mind GNU/Make and CMake are not compiler alternatives(don't quote me on that for CMake), but rather tools to assist the compilation process. Makefiles are there to simplify life, compiling is done purely by running make filename, where filename follows a recipe.

I'd advise you to read tutorials on how to use CMake.

For some reason, the CODE tags aren't working...

EDIT: Just realized you wanted someone to compile it for you. I'd do it, but I really can't be bothered to install CMake and use it just for that. You should use the opportunity to get familiar with CMake and other build utilities, like GNU/Make. On Windows, I used MinGW's mingw32-make, since I had been using it for gcc(GNU C Compiler), from GCC(GNU Compiler Collection, heh).

You can install GCC through mingw-get, which you install in order to install MinGW's packages, upon its own installation. Be sure to mark g++(GNU C++ Compiler) for instalation, if you want to compile C++ projects(like the one you linked).

Again, I never used CMake. Sorry, pal. Pressure the developers to include a binary release with the GitHub releases, maybe they'll do it.

Last edited by spoonm,
Reactions: Lycan911

Lycan911

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The project you linked is using CMake instead of a regular GNU/Make makefile.

That's cool. Some projects don't even include makefiles. If you're familiar with the command line, these steps should be enough:
  • cd to the root of the repository. (To get it off github, git clone https://github.com/FGRE/nptools, then navigate to nptools/)
  • Use mkdir to create a build directory. (mkdir build)
  • cd to build.
  • Run cmake .. to get CMake to read CMakeLists.txt files and handle the rest of the compilation process.
Install CMake and have its process in your PATH environment variable. If you don't want to have it there permanently, run set PATH=%PATH%;C:\Path\To\CMake in the command prompt instance you're running.

I have never used CMake, so I can't help you with troubleshooting, in case you do encounter problems. Keep in mind GNU/Make and CMake are not compiler alternatives(don't quote me on that for CMake), but rather tools to assist the compilation process. Makefiles are there to simplify life, compiling is done purely by running make filename, where filename follows a recipe.

I'd advise you to read tutorials on how to use CMake.

For some reason, the CODE tags aren't working...

EDIT: Just realized you wanted someone to compile it for you. I'd do it, but I really can't be bothered to install CMake and use it just for that. You should use the opportunity to get familiar with CMake and other build utilities, like GNU/Make. On Windows, I used MinGW's mingw32-make, since I had been using it for gcc(GNU C Compiler), from GCC(GNU Compiler Collection, heh).

You can install GCC through mingw-get, which you install in order to install MinGW's packages, upon its own installation. Be sure to mark g++(GNU C++ Compiler) for instalation, if you want to compile C++ projects(like the one you linked).

Again, I never used CMake. Sorry, pal. Pressure the developers to include a binary release with the GitHub releases, maybe they'll do it.
Thanks for your reply. I'm a complete noob when it comes to programming and compiling, which is why I made this thread. I'll try asking the person who made this project to release a compiled program, gonna post back when/if he does so.

spoonm

Can count to 3.
Trophies
Website
spoonm.org
XP
Country
Brazil
Thanks for your reply. I'm a complete noob when it comes to programming and compiling, which is why I made this thread. I'll try asking the person who made this project to release a compiled program, gonna post back when/if he does so.

If he doesn't want to, let me know and I'll compile it for you. I can compile it on Windows 7, but not Windows 10, since I don't personally have a machine running that OS.

EDIT: Had some time to spare. Wasted a lot of it. Set CMake's CMAKE_C_COMPILER to gcc and CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER to g++, but the compilers failed the compiling test. At the moment, I gave up trying CMake and looked at the makefile history for nptools. There was a .sh file used for compiling that consisted of single g++ lines.

For that, though, I needed libnpa. Hooray, libnpa is by FGRE, but boohoo, they're using CMake there too. But wait, they had a g++ line for it some time ago. Oh no, that requires the Boost library. "How do I install Boost to MinGW?" led me to a lot of tutorials on compiling with nmake, bjam, etc.

So I lost my cool and now I have to shower and go to school. Found a MinGW installation with boost included, but since the g++ lines used for compiling those projects are super outdated, I didn't want to try that.

Oh well, guess I'll need to git gud if no one else shows up.

Last edited by spoonm,
Reactions: Lycan911

Lycan911

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The person who made the program still didn't answer my email, so I'm guessing he either dropped the project or just couldn't be bothered with it :/

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, People who create revival services for the Wii end up in disaster, same goes for Pretendo lol.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, atleast wiimmfii went fine although people only use it for Mario kart Wii
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    At least if they ban you for cheating, get another Wii. They're cheap as chips.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Remember when RiiShop was a thing?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    not really
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It got shutdown because somebody "accidentally" leaked the database for the amount of people using the beta.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    RiiShop is the laziest way of downloading Wii games. Did somebody not think of this through?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    although i ended up accidentally changing my nand with no way of going back bc i didn't know you needed a gamecube controller to restore it (i have a wii minus/1.1, which doesn't have gamecube controller support)
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, I think you're talking about the recovery mode that the SaveMii used, and also was to restore softbricked systems.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    If your NAND was hardbricked, then just buy another Wii. Or go with the dirty NAND flasher method.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    and if i find the sd card i have my NAND backed up on, i can not only restore the NAND if i solder the right part in, but i can also put my NAND on dolphin, then i can play dolphin online, like PMEX Remix or MKWii Riibalanced
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Brb
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, Oh yeah, that was a thing too. Dolphin does support Wiimmfi.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    yeah you just need to put your NAND backup with wiimmfi on it
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ngl i feel like if a bunch of my friends have wiis and know how to get wiimmfi and back up their NAND, then we could do a PMEX Remix tournament
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    maybe even add UMVC3/DBFZ and make it a biathlon/triathlon
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Too bad Excite Truck wasn't multi player :(
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Loved that game lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, sorry for the stupid suggestion I had in that thread
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its fine
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    what thread?
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxR2jow50Bs