Hacking I need some things cleared up before I purchase

HeatMan Advance

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, I read and compared everything I can find about the R4 and DS Extreme. I haven't even bought a DS yet and this is my first flash kit since the GBA. After reading all the FAQs and reviews I just need to know what I do and don't need to purchase.

I chose the R4 since it's cheaper and sounds like the most reliable. What I don't understand is the use of SD cards.

Are they needed or optional storage for saves? I'm guessing needed, but do they come with the card? I'm wondering if the reason the Extreme cost so much more is because it maybe comes with a SD card, I really get lost at this point. The one on the front page says 16gb. Is that much space needed to hold DS games? What would be the average amount of games held on one cart, or how many games can be saved to one card?

I saw some sd cards on other sites but they were everything from $8 to $45. I really have a lot more questions but I feel getting these out of the way would clear a lot up.

blade85

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the sd cards are for the storage, the R4 reads off the microsd card

The DS-X costs so much because the memory is internal memory, so it doesnt need a microsd card. When it says 16 Gb, it is actually only 2 GB, theres a difference between the Gb and GB, 1GB is 8x the amount of 1Gb

The amount of games saved depends on the size of the game itself. They usually are around 10 megabytes, more or less.

And read the stickies next time

HeatMan Advance

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And read the stickies next time

Thanks, but I did read the stickies. They only explain the card itself not how they incorporate the sd card. It never mentioned whether I would have to purchase one separately or if they are built in. It was all written with the assumption that people already understand the usage of an SD card.

QUOTEactually most of the new games are arround 64 Megabytes and 128 megabytes... 10 mb are like the first ones xD

So what size card are you currently using or would recomend?

HeatMan Advance

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, great. I plan to buy this since it seems to be the most recommended -

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820134215

Unless there's an issue with the card I missed then I think I'll purchase it tomorrow. Thanks for the assist.
yaynds.gif

HeatMan Advance

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good looking out. I see you saved me some money here.
grog.gif

So this should be it, right? The R4 comes with everything else I need, correct?

HeatMan Advance

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm glad I waited before buying. I knew you guys would know the best way to go about this.

BTW- Is that you eating that sneaker? I hope that's made of cake
happy.gif

HeatMan Advance

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Two weeks? Hmm...

I can live with it I guess. It's free shipping and I still have to buy a black DS lite to play it on. It also gives me plenty of time to catch up with the rest of you guys when it comes to knowing all about using a DS with these cards for emulation, music, movies and all the other extras.

dsbomb

Trophies
Website
dsbomb.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
Get one memory card to get yourself by for now, then watch sites like techbargains.com, slickdeals.net. They periodically showcase microSD cards for $5-10, some with rebates, some without. I just got a couple Japan Kingstons from Fry's for $9.99, no rebates.

My M3Simply arrived so quickly, my microSDs hadn't arrived yet. So I had to go to Wal-Mart and picked up a 512MB for $30. It was promptly returned once the shipment arrived though...

HeatMan Advance

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Crap. My R4 order is in the 2nd stage of process now which is good. My problem is the DS I ordered minutes after from Amazon. It's been delayed until, I kid you not, June 7th.

It's the Onyx DS Lite. I had two-day free plus tax free delivery, now the same site has dealers selling them from $155- $275. Is there a sudden shortage? I can't find any Onyx DS Lites anywhere now, in-store or online.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: How you doin xdq?