ROM Hack I need help in editing sprites in certain games.

NewZealandSolid

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hi,

So I wanted to edit the main character sprite (in the overworld & elsewhere) in "Harvest Moon: Sunshine Islands", "HM: Grand Bazaar" & "HM: The Tale of Two Towns". The (U) versions to be more precise.

I looked up some tutorials on how to rip sprites, view them etc. , but they didn't really help me since I couldn't apply anything I learned from these tuts to these games. I still don't know how to simply change the main character sprites. And I mean really simple stuff like changing the hair color or at max editing the hairstyle.

Sorry if there's already a thread like this, but I didn't find one. Any help is appreciated.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The games in question

The talking head stuff is sprites/2d but in game that looks like 3d models (general animation, the rather angular nature of things, the backgrounds being 3d... all give it away). 3d models draw from some of the same concepts as sprites but they are not the same thing.

To that end you are more likely to want to do texture hacking or model hacking (not all models use textures). It has been a while since I looked at the DS harvest moon games (Rune factory is where it is at) but I do not recall them being anything especially custom in the world of DS 3d. The standard DS 3d format (which is far more commonly used than any sprite/2d formats seen on the DS) is called NSBMD, the texture format is NSBTX. Many games will have the extension too but not all of them. With no$gba debug being free there are some better options for 3d debugging these days. I cover more of it in the hacking docs stuck in this forum ( http://gbatemp.net/threads/gbatemp-rom-hacking-documentation-project-new-2014-edition-out.73394/ ).

NewZealandSolid

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Thanks for the help ! :)

I'll try Model hacking then. I had the suspicion of the "sprites" being 3D, but I am used to 2D sprites in 3D environments, so I didn't think too much about it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: This parrot is no more it has ceased to be!