i know nothing about ps3 so got gew Q's

Discussion in 'Sony PlayStation 1 & 2' started by iban88, Apr 7, 2010.

Apr 7, 2010
  1. iban88
    OP

Member iban88 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    need some questions answered. =)
    does it go online wireless?
    what ps3 do i want to buy so it can also play playstation 2 games?
    is online laggy or very little? i know its about connection and i tend to have a good one but still wondering.
    does it run on battery's or have a charger?

what else is good about ps3??
    thanks [​IMG]

2. Snorlax

Member Snorlax POSTMODERNISM

Australia
    1. Yes, it has a built in WiFi adapter.
    2. One of the old 60GB models.
    3. With online, well, you get what you pay for. It's nothing compared to XBox Live, but it does its job. It's slow to initialize, but connections are usually fine.
    4. The controllers? They run off rechargable batteries which are recharged via a usb cable connected to any usb power source.

3. TanookiSuit

Member TanookiSuit Game Reviewer/Writer -- formerly Vampire Hunter D

United States
    Yes it has wifi and wired built on unlike 360 which is $99 for the wifi.

Depending which model of PS3 you get it can or can't play PS2 games, but all PS1 work.

Online has never lagged for me, but I bet it would entirely be based on your local connection/potential interference. I use the wifi and it's never given me crap.

Controllers have built in batteries and a usb cable comes with the system, if it gets low temporarily use it as a wired pad, or just jack it into the PS3 or any USB using device to recharge the controller.

Blu-ray, one of the best players quality wise on the market. As I said to start, wifi out of box and not ripping you off like MS with the $99 adapter. Beyond that, depends on your tastes in games but if you use the wikipedia you can search games and exclusive to system and there's a lot and much of high quality. Outside of that, PSN unlike XBL is entirely free, no paying extra to use online parts of games so you can get your full value of your game without buying access to all of it. System also can be linked to a PSP in various ways if you like that, and even the PSN has PS1 games you can get and they'll work across both systems including porting over saves which is handy.

Down side, if you get a slim or my model the last of the big ones the 80GB no PS2 support and the flap on the front for the PS1/2 and mem stick pro slots is sealed off.

4. iban88
    OP

United States
    whats the point of different GB space?? thanks for the info you all gave me. [​IMG]

5. TanookiSuit

Member TanookiSuit Game Reviewer/Writer -- formerly Vampire Hunter D

United States
    More storage for info just like any harddrive. Just figure saves, install data, audio, video, pictures, whatever you decide to do with it within the specs of the hardware as it's not hacked like other systems fortunately.

6. Snorlax

Member Snorlax POSTMODERNISM

Australia
    You can still plug in a portable hard-drive though. :] Storage is never really a problem with the PS3.

7. iban88
    OP

United States
    i see. so should i buy the biggest size ps3? there are ps3 games you can only get by download through PSN right? like MVC2. im guessing they can take up a chunk of space.

8. luke_c

Member luke_c Big Boss

United Kingdom
    PSN games can take up anywhere up to 2GB I would say (Full games like Burnout Paradise took up 4GB) It's best to get a 60GB Phat model that can play PS2 games and put in a new hard drive

9. alphanemisis

Member alphanemisis GBAtemp Regular

United States
    i have the slim 80gb version... its supposed to support video playback of certian format.... but it wont even detect my seagate go 500gb... someone help! ( and now that i have it i am disappointed that there are other ps3 that play ps2 disks....

10. Apex

Member Apex GBAtemp Fan

Japan
    Playstation does not host the online servers, game companies do, and most of the time they just connect players to a host, and you use the host's internet, so connections will vary.

11. BORTZ

Global Moderator BORTZ wtf, nintendo

United States
    "We want to make our own shitty titles! "

12. alphanemisis

Member alphanemisis GBAtemp Regular

United States
    is there a way to playback dvd video (videots folder) from hard drive? mp4 or psp compatable backup?