Hacking Homebrew I know absolutely NOTHING about psp

xcalibur

Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear
Trophies
XP
Country
There is a few other things I want to mention which you might have overlooked.

First of all, after you finish with the downgrading process, you can just format your memory stick to make it normal again.
Secondly, you have to return you battery to normal after finishing the downgrade or else it will always boot in service mode and that means you can't play any games. You should have an option before turning your battery into a Pandora battery to make a Dump of the battery's flash file so you can restore it later by running Pandora's battery creator and pressing L+R.
Also, after you finish with this process you will end up with a 1.5 FW PSP and you shouldn't leave it that way. You should upgrade from that 1.5 FW to 3.71 M33-4. Sadly its not as easy as just running a updater but I have a good link for you here.

And thats it. I hope everything goes well and you'll be having fun on your downgraded PSP.

I don't think those things apply to him. He has a slim PSP, so he can't downgrade to 1.5. The Newbieinstaller he'll be using will install 3.71 M33-2 or something I believe.
Also he's using a Datel Tool battery, so he won't need to restore anything, just insert his old battery again.

I didn't know that. Just trying to pass on what I learned 's all...

123noob321

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thank you so very much you have been very very helpful to me
laugh.gif
  although it seems each answered question springs another, i am pretyy sure this last question covers everything...dun dun dun DUUUNN

i saw on a site i was looking at a link that said something along the lines of "convert your psp isos to make them playable on your psp" i have to convert them after i download them? with what tools? and how does trimming work? (more than one question im so sorry)

this thread could probably help out alot of noobs that wer just as clueless as i was!
lecture.gif

Its not trimming just like in NDS roms but its actually opening the ISO and removing unnecessary files.
This is done using UMDGen. It allows you to open up an ISO and remove files which you won't need like the UPDATE folder and some sounds, videos etc. all to reduce the final size of the ISO. Then you can compress it into a CSO which saves A LOT more space.

ISO's are automatically playable but take up a lot of space.

First of all, after you finish with the downgrading process, you can just format your memory stick to make it normal again.
Secondly, you have to return you battery to normal after finishing the downgrade or else it will always boot in service mode and that means you can't play any games. You should have an option before turning your battery into a Pandora battery to make a Dump of the battery's flash file so you can restore it later by running Pandora's battery creator and pressing L+R.
Also, after you finish with this process you will end up with a 1.5 FW PSP and you shouldn't leave it that way. You should upgrade from that 1.5 FW to 3.71 M33-4. Sadly its not as easy as just running a updater but I have a good link for you here.

And thats it. I hope everything goes well and you'll be having fun on your downgraded PSP.
ok so i dont worry about that stuff then..
unsure.gif
still xcalibur thank you for that imformation about trimming
smile.gif
i guess thats way too complicated for me so i'll just have to play them untrimmed..i think that would be the best in my case..
unsure.gif
but yeah i dont actually own a psp slim or datel battery yet but that is what i will be buying..
yaypsp.gif

and of coarse that memory stick
nyanya.gif

monkey- as far as putting the firmware updates in the game folder and loading it up..what battery should i have inserted in there at that time, the tool battery?and after i load it once i can delete the file, correct? just making 100% sure.. i can use the same datel phat tool battery with 2 different slims, and it'll be fine..?

once again, thank you so much i really do appreciate it and i know i ask aLOT of questions but you weren't impatient or anything with me thank you
biggrin.gif

123noob321

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I don't think those things apply to him. He has a slim PSP, so he can't downgrade to 1.5. The Newbieinstaller he'll be using will install 3.71 M33-2 or something I believe.
Also he's using a Datel Tool battery, so he won't need to restore anything, just insert his old battery again.

its alright, i learned that i cannot simply reformat my card to make it like-new....but...wait a min..then what do i do?
wacko.gif

Monkey01

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands

That's cool,
yaypsp.gif
just mentioned it so he didn't get confused about things he doesn't have to worry about.
unsure.gif
smile.gif
 i guess thats way too complicated for me so i'll just have to play them untrimmed..i think that would be the best in my case..
unsure.gif
 but yeah i dont actually own a psp slim or datel battery yet but that is what i will be buying..
yaypsp.gif

nyanya.gif

monkey- as far as putting the firmware updates in the game folder and loading it up..what battery should i have inserted in there at that time, the tool battery?and after i load it once i can delete the file, correct? just making 100% sure.. i can use the same datel phat tool battery with 2 different slims, and it'll be fine..?

once again, thank you so much i really do appreciate it and i know i ask aLOT of questions but you weren't impatient or anything with me thank you
biggrin.gif

Just making a cso is not that complicated, just go to the Batch Image Converter tab, drag an iso to there, choose convert to CSO and set the conversion level to something funny. For the file deleting you must know what not to delete however...
The tool battery is only required to put the custom firmware on it when you have on official firmware on it. If you insert the tool battery it won't boot up your psp firmware, just the pandora thingy from your memory stick. If you have the custom firmware on it and want to update to a newer version you just use the real battery and go to games.
The tool battery is not needed anymore until you accidentally upgrade to an official firmware, or screw things up some other way.

QUOTE(123noob321 @ Dec 24 2007, 12:27 AM)its alright, i learned that i cannot simply reformat my card to make it like-new....but...wait a min..then what do i do?
wacko.gif
He said you can. Best is to just use the PSP system settings menu and format there, then it'll make all the required folders right away.

123noob321

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

That's cool,
yaypsp.gif
just mentioned it so he didn't get confused about things he doesn't have to worry about.
unsure.gif
smile.gif
unsure.gif
yaypsp.gif

nyanya.gif

biggrin.gif

Just making a cso is not that complicated, just go to the Batch Image Converter tab, drag an iso to there, choose convert to CSO and set the conversion level to something funny. For the file deleting you must know what not to delete however...
The tool battery is only required to put the custom firmware on it when you have on official firmware on it. If you insert the tool battery it won't boot up your psp firmware, just the pandora thingy from your memory stick. If you have the custom firmware on it and want to update to a newer version you just use the real battery and go to games.
The tool battery is not needed anymore until you accidentally upgrade to an official firmware, or screw things up some other way.

its alright, i learned that i cannot simply reformat my card to make it like-new....but...wait a min..then what do i do?
wacko.gif
He said you can. Best is to just use the PSP system settings menu and format there, then it'll make all the required folders right away.
oh i must have misread..but i am perfectly ok just using the iso untrimmed? or do i have to convert it to cso?

123noob321

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i suppose i'll be ordering that memory card along with the tool battery..thank you very much everyone, and this time...there are no questions left.
laugh.gif

xcalibur

Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear
Trophies
XP
Country
oh i must have misread..but i am perfectly ok just using the iso untrimmed? or do i have to convert it to cso?

Untouched iso's work fine, just put them in the ISO folder and choose them from the games menu.

SOmetimes if the compression level is too high it gives you slowdown in games though
frown.gif
Not so much as in loading times but actual gameplay...
If you have too much trouble then recompress the original ISO to something lower.

123noob321

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Untouched iso's work fine, just put them in the ISO folder and choose them from the games menu.

SOmetimes if the compression level is too high it gives you slowdown in games though
frown.gif
If you have too much trouble then recompress the original ISO to something lower.
how?
unsure.gif
do games not run full-speed using this method? with the memory stick and whatnot? i really dont want to play laggy games
wacko.gif

Monkey01

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands

frown.gif

True, but the iso's you download are not compressed, so if you don't compress them, it shouldn't give problems with it anyway.
QUOTE(123noob321 @ Dec 24 2007, 05:44 PM)
how?
unsure.gif
 do games not run full-speed using this method? with the memory stick and whatnot? i really dont want to play laggy games
wacko.gif
If you just use the iso's downloaded they should actually load faster then umd's I've heard.. Wouldn't know myself, don't have any.
shy.gif

123noob321

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hmm so there is only a problem if you trim something you shouldn't by accident..well, thats cool my big thing was i didnt want to have to carry around the disc with me when im out and about cause i would probably scratch them :'(

i think im buying the set at walmart where you choose a game...im getting vice city!
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

EDIT: are psps region free? like can i buy a usa psp and still play games form jap or eur?

myuusmeow

Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
hmm so there is only a problem if you trim something you shouldn't by accident..well, thats cool my big thing was i didnt want to have to carry around the disc with me when im out and about cause i would probably scratch them :'(

i think im buying the set at walmart where you choose a game...im getting vice city!
laugh.gif
Â
laugh.gif

EDIT: are psps region free? like can i buy a usa psp and still play games form jap or eur?
Yes. Well I know ISOs/CSOs are because on my US PSP Slim I'm playing Ridge Racer 2 which was only released in Europe.

Monkey01

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands

For games, the PSP is region free. For UMD movies, the PSP is not officially region free. You can fake regions though with a custom firmware, if you're that person that buys UMD movies.
unsure.gif

WHY do i need a new battery??!!!!
Because the quote is from here and you just hardmodded the battery to not boot up the PSP normally, but only in service mode. You then need a new battery that boots up the PSP normally...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    sigh
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @a_username_that_isnt_cool, could you change your username?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i guess not...
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yawn
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    anybody here?
  • P @ PKNate:
    nope
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fun fact: 7 years by lukas graham, supermassive black hole by muse, and megalomania all have the same bpm
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    girls just wanna have fun and renai circulation also share the same tempo as the few i said before
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, megalomania the live a live song?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    wait no, megalovania*
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    my bad
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I don't forgive you
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    The nerve of that guy, gosh.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah expecting me to forgive gtfo
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    But how could the Dr have known you didn't want to be circumcized?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He didn't you just wanted your dick to be fondled
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Watching dune 2 it's eh
    Dune one sucked
    The original with Patrick Stewart was Great
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A sexual psycopath that love pain where have I heard that before
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    In your high school diary?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No but your wife let's me read her diary the word psychopath comes up more than sexual
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: No but your wife let's me read her diary the word psychopath comes up more than sexual +1