Gaming I have a vista, want to install seven

nryn99

desu~
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
i want to install windows seven to my laptop and i don't have and extra disk.
if i install seven over vista, will my files be deleted or will it still be there?
or do i need to move my files to another disk? and install seven?

sorry if this was a simple question, i'm just want to be sure about what i'll be doing. real life don't have save points.

EDIT: ahh, thanks omgdaniel and Originality for clarifying some things. i won't be installing it immediately though(still downloading parts and school wifi is slow) so if any of you still have useful info i ask you to tell me please.

omgdaniel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Windows 7 can be 'upgraded' from Windows Vista. It's supposed to not lose all your data, but can't really trust that. I'd backup everything and then upgrade it, if you lost anything, at least you have a backup. Oh and I forgot, you can't use an OEM copy to upgrade.

nryn99

desu~
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
@omgdaniel in this topic what is OEM? i'm a pirate BTW. i have a no key needed seven installer and my current vista 64 bit ultimate is a pirated copy dvd.

omgdaniel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OEM is basically the a copy that is given to system builders and manufacturers. It's a full version, but not a retail version. If you're just going to download Windows 7, then just back everything up. It probably is an OEM copy and even if not, better to regardless.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
OEM = Original Equipment Manufacturer. Basically it's the version given to system builders at discount.

When installing Windows 7, you have 2 options. Custom Install will put your current Windows, Program Files and Users folders into a Windows.old folder (you can still access it). Upgrade will upgrade Vista to the equivolent version in Windows 7 (Vista Home Premium x86 will become 7 Home Premium x86, or Vista Ultimate x64 will become 7 Ultimate x64). You cannot upgrade Vista Home Premium x86 to 7 Ultimate x64, or visa versa. There is no need to format the drive to install Windows anymore (although you still can), so you shouldn't lose any files in the process no matter how you install it.

Pirating shouldn't have anything to do with the installation/updating process.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Glad he is OK and complaining is cool :)