mpg187

OP
Trophies
Website
operation420.net
XP
Country
Canada
My 360 has lights 1,3,4 on (See image). I hear that 99% of the time it's over heating, but my 360 doesn't feel hot or smell burnt or anything. My 360 has a good colling system and shoulnd't have red rings, is there another possible reason why? Is this fixable? EDIT: It's modified and not in the case it came with so I cannot send it back

3331163666_0f1801e6b0.jpg

R2DJ

Trophies
XP
Country
I haven't gotten the red rings (but my friend's one did and it was spectacular, knocks on wood) but from what people here said to me, the best option is to send it back to Microsoft but there is no need to worry since customer service is very excellent.

This happens to most 360's because of a design flaw. It may bug you but MS can easily fix it. The only problem you will have is for example, when you imported Rock Band 1 tracks, you will have to do the importing again since the imported songs are for one console only. It's a different case for every other files in your HDD (save files, DLC, etc.)

I won't recommend those X-clamp mods or towel tricks unless your warranty is out.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
mpg187 said:
My 360 has lights 1,3,4 on (See image). I hear that 99% of the time it's over heating, but my 360 doesn't feel hot or smell burnt or anything. My 360 has a good colling system and shoulnd't have red rings, is there another possible reason why? Is this fixable?
That's because it's fake. Cooling has nothing to do with the RROD.

Yep, just use one of those methods floating over the interwebs. I recommend the Cent Fix.

D

Deleted User

Send it back to microsoft they will fix it for you they did with my dads

Gobnoblin

Trophies
XP
Country
if warranty is up do teh diy fix.. tis super easy with great tutorial and list of everything yo need to get from home depot or lowes or whatever hardware store you have access to.. otherwise send it in for fix

Maz7006

iSEXu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
raulpica said:
mpg187 said:
My 360 has lights 1,3,4 on (See image). I hear that 99% of the time it's over heating, but my 360 doesn't feel hot or smell burnt or anything. My 360 has a good colling system and shoulnd't have red rings, is there another possible reason why? Is this fixable?
That's because it's fake. Cooling has nothing to do with the RROD.

Yep, just use one of those methods floating over the interwebs. I recommend the Cent Fix.

Exactly, raulpica has said this a million times, the problem comes when the system itself cools down, keeping it cool doesnt help... at all, the only thing you could do is basically keep it well ventilated... and yes its really random, i have one of my boxes for 2 years... still going strong.

omgpwn666

Guy gamer and proud!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Buy a new one,its the best thing to do since the newer ones don't red ring of death anymore.
Code:
http://technologizer.com/2009/02/17/red-ring-of-death-nightmares-are-over-says-microsoft/
They just E74,which is very rare,Ive had 1 red ring of death ever,all I did was unplugged the wire for 10 minutes and it fixed,but it was because there was dust covering the fans in the power supply.
laugh.gif

Kamiyama

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
omgpwn666 said:
Ive had 1 red ring of death ever,all I did was unplugged the wire for 10 minutes and it fixed

I had same thing. I'm just too scared to play with it because of it. I only play one hour in a day.

Julian Sidewind

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
My friend got a rrod with his xbox and his was modded. He sent it back and got another and microsoft didnt catch him, also, even if your warranty is up microsoft will take it back and replace it. If someone chipped it nicely, they would have left the warranty sticker on so i would check for that.

GameWinner

Take your heart
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
go on youtube and find the video of how to fix it.it is split into 2 parts,its how i fixed mine
since then i have not have any problems yet....

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
mpg187 said:
It's modified and not in the case it came with so I cannot send it back

Anyways, if it's not overheating then what's the problem?
The board bends a lot because of the X-Clamps during use. With heating, the board becames more subject to flextion. When cooling down, solderings under the BGA will break down from thermal excursion.

dfgas

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That is very very bad to do to your 360. You are heating up the gpu which is very very bad. My suggestion would be the xclamp mod and then put tin foil all around your gpu (smaller heat sink) with the heatsink on and put a heat gun on it. look up reflowing. I did this to mine and it has lasted alot longer than the towel trick or what you did. I didn't even think of it at first when i did it that it was very very bad for the cpu

sweenish

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the penny fix is practically permanent, and it's easy. i just did it two days ago, in fact.

i hear the x-clamp fix is also permanent, but it just doesn't seem necessary.

dfgas

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have been told by people that fix/hack 360s that the penny fix is short term just like the towel. but the towel trick is bad.

mpg187

OP
Trophies
Website
operation420.net
XP
Country
Canada
I never used a towel, I just ran it with no fans. But ya I did heat it.

I know a friend who fixed his with reflow. Is there a good chance it'll fix mine?

PS What's the penny method?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SpookyBaker @ SpookyBaker: @K3Nv2