Hacking I found a bug in the disk channel!! i think...

Dark_anth

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was messing around with the new HBC and i desided to play my "backup" of mario kart. then i chanded my mind and i exited to the system menu. i looked at the disk channel and sure enough super monkey ball was supposidly still in my wii. it showed the banner and played the music. i tried to boot up the backup with the disk channel but only got an error. mybe this can be exploited some how.... and idea why this would happen and what we could do with this?

malverns

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
g00s3y said:
maybe you could use it to play super monkey kart? lol

lol thats pretty funny...

Anyway, this bug has been found and will be implemented into the next Wiigater/waninkoko backup launcer (the gamma release) and you will be able to launch backups from the disc channel...

It will be released REALLLLLLL soon and the games will have much better compatibility and will run faster!

Dark_anth

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
malverns said:
g00s3y said:

Anyway, this bug has been found and will be implemented into the next Wiigater/waninkoko backup launcer (the gamma release) and you will be able to launch backups from the disc channel...

It will be released REALLLLLLL soon and the games will have much better compatibility and will run faster!
haha oh. well btw the only reason i have super munkey ball was because i was at my friends house and we stole it from koles. why? you might ask... its because it was from koles. lol
couple of Qs
1) when was this bug found?
2) when will the new loader be relesed?
3)why does it do that?
2) how can you change it to read the banner of the backup?

charlieawesome

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Dark_anth said:
malverns said:
g00s3y said:

haha oh. well btw the only reason i have super munkey ball was because i was at my friends house and we stole it from koles. why? you might ask... its because it was from koles. lol
couple of Qs
1) when was this bug found?
2) when will the new loader be relesed?
3)why does it do that?
2) how can you change it to read the banner of the backup?

by koles do you mean Coles the supermarket?

Luriden

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dark_anth said:
malverns said:
g00s3y said:

What you got against monkeys? And balls?

In all honesty that game sucked ass.

alex

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Same thing happened earlier with me. I had PKMN Battle Revolution(original), I was dumping it. But then I took it out and put in a backup disc to play on the backup loader. I exited the Wii HTTPdumper, and out the HBC, and I saw PKMN Battle Revolution there. I tried to play, but gave an error.
frown.gif
The banner loaded and everything :/ THAT'S FREAKY!

Sonicandtails

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
This "bug" is old and has happened with the Wii since release. For instance, it happened with my legal copy of SSBB and my legal copy of Rock Band, as well as my legal copy of Wii Sports. Nothing here is going to be exploited, do the scene a favor and keep your mouths closed, speculation gives the morons hope, hope drives rumors, rumors drive beliefs, and the next thing you know, you see gaming news sites with "RUMOR - GIANT WII EXPLOIT POSSIBLY FOUND, INVOLVES DISC CHANNEL".

Apex

Trophies
XP
Country
Dark_anth said:
couple of Qs
The only reason I have Super Monkey Ball, is because I like Super Monkey Ball, a lot. Thanks for making it seem as if I like something that isn't cool. Sorry for being off topic.

junk_man32

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sonicandtails said:
This "bug" is old and has happened with the Wii since release. For instance, it happened with my legal copy of SSBB and my legal copy of Rock Band, as well as my legal copy of Wii Sports. Nothing here is going to be exploited, do the scene a favor and keep your mouths closed, speculation gives the morons hope, hope drives rumors, rumors drive beliefs, and the next thing you know, you see gaming news sites with "RUMOR - GIANT WII EXPLOIT POSSIBLY FOUND, INVOLVES DISC CHANNEL".
hey why dont you calm down there a bit....

junk_man32

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sonicandtails said:
hey why dont you calm down there a bit....

Beware

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
junk_man32 said:
woop srry for double post

If you were actually sorry, you wouldn't have made a THIRD post. There's an EDIT button for a reason.

EDIT: See? I just added this after I submitted the original post.

And Sonicandtails has a perfectly legitimate point. Some kid reports a "bug" and rumors start swirling (outside of the scene, since they've known these bugs for a long time) and then people come around asking for exploits and bitching when there isn't one. It's ridiculous. The bug is old and I do NOT believe it will be used in the next backup loader.

denzil

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dark_anth said:
i looked at the disk channel and sure enough super monkey ball was supposidly still in my wii. it showed the banner and played the music.
When a game disk is inserted, the disk's banner is copied to the Wii's NAND memory and played from there. If the Wii somehow misses that the disk has been ejected/changed, it will still play the banner in the disk channel.

QUOTEi tried to boot up the backup with the disk channel but only got an error.
Of course. There's nothing happening out of the ordinary, other than that the disk isn't in the drive anymore. It won't allow you to boot backups any more than any regular banner or disk launch process would. It is more of a "glitch" than a "bug", and has nothing to do with what the backup launchers are doing to the system menu to convince it to accept backups.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: The candy man can