I decided to go on the cheap, and I need some advice.

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Games & Content' started by redrampager, Jan 20, 2009.

1. redrampager
    OP

Newcomer redrampager Member

United States
    I decided to take the 360 head on with very little knowledge about how it works. Maybe a mistake, but these things are how we learn what to do and what not to.

So. I bought a RROD 360 Premium off of ebay for 60-something. Not important. What IS important is that it came without the RCA video/audio cables, a power supply, and a hard drive. The first two of these I've already bought and they're on their way... they will help me with fixing the RROD (no I will not be doing the towel "trick")

How important is the hard drive in backing up and playing backup games on a 360? How necessary is it?

2. War

Member War Take it easy~

Japan
    Not really "necessary", but it is recommended. You won't be able to save your games, get DLC, install to hard drive... in fact, I don't even think you'll be able to get the NXE.

3. redrampager
    OP

United States
    But I can get the processor cleaned, thermal compound applied, and drive flashed without the hard drive? So I can hold off on the HDD for a little bit?

4. Hardcore Gamer

Member Hardcore Gamer GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    You don't need a hard drive, a memory unit will do. A 64mb memory card used to be ok, they come with an arcade, but the new NXE is 100mb so you need at least a 128mb card to get that, if you only have a 64mb card you'll just keep the old dash.

Your profile is about 2mb, save games about 1mb so getting on live without a hard drive isn't a problem.

I bought a rrod and fixed it but I got a hard drive and 3 months live from microsoft for £20 by going here http://www.xboxstorageupgrade.com/ , basically it's for people who bought an Arcade with a 64mb memory card, MS are giving them one cheap as an apology, I think in the USA they are giving away 512mb memory cards but I doubt it will work for you as it's for arcade user only I think.

5. Hardcore Gamer

United Kingdom
    Yes, you can play games without one, you just won't be able to save your game.

6. redrampager
    OP

United States
    Sounds good. I'll work up the fundage while I'm in the process of hacking it. Thanks a million!! [​IMG]

Now let the topic die. XD

7. playallday

Member playallday Group: GBAtemp Ghost

Canada
    I just went to that link but I'm a little stuck! My Arcade 360 has RRoD so I can't load up the dashboard! I can't get to mine Console ID! What can I do??

8. Hardcore Gamer

United Kingdom

9. Prime

Member Prime GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Hardcore Gamer: Don't suggest doing the tower "trick". It is a lot of BS. It does more harm to the consoles.

10. playallday

Member playallday Group: GBAtemp Ghost

Canada
    I have not tried the towel trick. Doesn't sound like a good idea to me but I'll try it later, I'm not planning on fixing the 360 anyways, I just want a cheap hard drive.

I'll get my error code tomorrow and post it here.

11. Hardcore Gamer

United Kingdom
    Ok, I should have said use at your own risk. I'll add that I got my rrod xbox for nothing so didn't care, if it didn't work it was getting thrown out anyway but I read up on the rrod and a lot of people were doing the towel trick and getting their xbox working for a few weeks. There's hundreds of youtube vids and thousands of web posts, I didn't read of one person permanently damaging their xbox.

It got mine working enough so that I could see what was wrong. My xbox, when working, would freeze the screen after a few minutes of play which meant that the gpu wasn't working properly. It turned out that the heatsink wasn't sitting right because if I pressed down on the heatsink while running a game, it wouldn't freeze. When I took my finger off, it froze. The towel trick helped me troubleshoot, I didn't do it as a permanent fix.

If your xbox is under warranty or you know someone who can fix them then I suggest doing that. If you're going to fix it yourself then how else will you get it to turn on? It's broke anyway, it's not working. It's a big paperweight.

Also, the xbox has a built in overheating detector and turns itself off when the cpu gets too hot. It will turn itself off after about 20 minutes with towels wrapped around it or it being in a plastic bag. All PC's have this too.