Hacking I broke it! blue lights no screen!

TekkamanChronos

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
cosplaykitsune.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
I googled and read the threads on a problem just like mine but it's not turning out well
I followed the guide to update to BS9
Everything was going fine until I got to Section 8
Clean SD card

The card cleaned and the system restart
and then it wont come back on, the powerlight is blue for awhile then it shuts off. oi google and read solutions..
I put various boot.firms in the rooot and it's still not coming on in fact it's shutting down faster!
uggh please tell me I didnt brick this. i cant buy a new 3ds pleasse help meeee >_<

MarKSlasH

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I tried to follow that tutorial and failed, a9hl was installed into nand, when I moved a bin from nand the console stopped turning on (only blue light flash).

Ended up using ntrboot straight and installed b9s.

Later I discovered the sd card was finicky, using other sd card allowed me to ntrboot it, with the card currently installed ntrboot failed too.

Did you installed luma into your nand?

Do you have other sd card to test?

TekkamanChronos

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
What kind of hardware problem?
If I take the card out it does the soft fade off
In fact it was doing a soft fade but once i started putting in different boot.firms from the other threads thats when it just shut off.
Can anyone tell me or show me what their folders look like with it functioning properly
maybe when it did the cleaning it erased something important.

Last edited by TekkamanChronos,

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Strange… if there were no errors while upgrading to B9S and did all the steps including the cleanup part, this makes no sense at all. The Luma version 9.1 boot.firm should be installed to your NAND and the thing should even boot without any SD.

While not impossible, a hardware fault with loose/torn ribbons seems not very likely (unless you dropped the console while doing A9LH → B9S process).

If B9S was installed successfully, the only file you really need to boot up the device again, is the latest boot.firm and nothing else; no complex structure, folders… Backup your data from the SD and reformat it (FAT32). Just put boot.firm from the latest release on it and nothing else.

And for the sake of completeness also try arm9loaderhax.bin from the last supported Luma release. Just to make sure that you are not still on A9LH.

Reactions: TekkamanChronos

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Okay, I'll try that right now
Yeah I didn't drop it at all, it sat nice and safe on my desk during the upgrade. So i dont think the cables are all jacked up either.

just to be sure where would I put arm9loaderhax.bin?
Juts to the root of the card like boot.firm:
SD:/boot.firm
SD:/arm9loaderhax.bin

Reactions: TekkamanChronos

TekkamanChronos

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
I'm so sorry for the long reply time.
I did as you said i cleared the card, and reformatted it
i placed the files on the card and nothing changed it still lights up blue then turns off.
It did create an empty luma folder but other than that nothing else has changed.

I don't know if this is a hint to anything but if i press the B button the system instantly shuts off.

TekkamanChronos

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
-__- okay so i followed it and nothing.
I'm still getting a bluelight and the screen won't turn on
i saw some youtube videos and it's doing the same thing, just when i add the files it doesn;t change.
I opened it up and checked my cables and even swapped out parts, everything should be working on the hardware side. Is there anything else i can do?
Please i dont want to buy another 3ds this one is my baby and we've been through so much.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
-__- okay so i followed it and nothing.
I'm still getting a bluelight and the screen won't turn on
i saw some youtube videos and it's doing the same thing, just when i add the files it doesn;t change.
I opened it up and checked my cables and even swapped out parts, everything should be working on the hardware side. Is there anything else i can do?
Please i dont want to buy another 3ds this one is my baby and we've been through so much.

Which exact model 3DS/2DS system do you have?
  • o3DS / o3DSXL / o2DS / n3DS / n3DSXL / n2DSXL

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I was helping another n3DSXL user who is having similiar boot issues. The first suspect is a failed SD card reader.
Replace that part and try again. Read post here.

Edit - Oh and check the sleep mode switch with a strong magnet sweep.

If you're able to find/buy a used, cheap, & functional n3DSXL, you can swap places with their motherboards to quickly diagnosis what is wrong with yours.
* Assuming this is a underlying hardware issue pandering as a software bug.

Another weird thing to look out for especially on n3DSXL model, is the once mysterious Black Screens of Death caused by a faulty camera module.
This may or may apply to you but is worth mentioning in the off chance it's this:

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As luck would have it i did order a broken 3ds to swap parts from,
I replaced the SD card reader, the 3ds stayed on longer but it shut off
I rolled the magnet over the section with no change.
the magnet i used is the one that came with the R4i Gold 3DS Plus

- No 3(DS) game cart or flashcart inserted in the n3DSXL, yes?
- You still have both arm9loaderhax.bin and boot.firm on the SD card, right?
- Let's check your camera module anyhow by unplugging its flex cable. It's like the one part that can be disconnected from the n3DSXL that' let it boot. See picture here.

- Since you have R4i Gold 3DS Plus, try the NTRboot method, but this time have GodMode9.firm renamed as boot.firm on the root of the SD card inserted in the n3DSXL. If you're somehow able to access GodMode9, attempt repairs with CTRTransfer.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: oof