Hacking I Bricked my Wii

j0nnywolf

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Please skip further down if you just want the relevant details without my boring story.

I wouldn't say I'm too knowledgeable about how this stuff works but I've spent a good deal of time with it. I hacked my Wii awhile back, and than I did it a few times more for some friends.

Now I've bricked mine, and I don't remember all the specifics about how it was originally hacked. all the other ones I did were more recent. For example, Mine I originally hacked with the twilight hack downgraded to 3.2U firmware. The others are 4.2 and I used bannerbomb.

Anyway, I was having a weird problem. I had used the wii just three weeks ago, everything worked no problem, and its been packed up in my bag since. I tried to use it this weekend and several programs weren't starting up, including WiiFlow and NeoGamma. I wanted to try and reinstall the wads for these, but when I tried to install any wads or to reinstall any Cios, I couldn't.

In short, any time I selected IOS249 in any installer or any time I tried to start up certain programs, the same thing happened. My Wiimote would lose contact with the system and the system would become non responsive, i.e. I'd have to shut it off.

I noticed that this did not happen if I selected another IOS to install to, and I remembered seeing people on forums sometimes say that they'd installed their Cios on a different IOS instead of 249. I was at a friends place for the weekend and did not have easy access to the internet, So, impulsively, I installed a CIOS without really looking into it at all. I thought I remembered people saying they used ios36, but obviously I was wrong and I really ####ed #### up by installing onto that.

So I guess the problem I was having before is irrelevant now, though I'm still pretty curious what went wrong as I did not take the Wii out of its bag between the time that I know it worked, and when it didn't.

Here are the specifics as far as I know them

Skip here for the relevant details if you don't want to hear my stupid story.

- Hacked system awhile back with twilight hack.

- I had downgraded to 3.2U at the time of hacking. [I think from 3.3]

- Bricked the system by installing a CIOS [17] onto IOS36, basically because I'm a complete idiot. (explained above. Please don't chew me out for this, I'm already quite embarrassed)

- As far as recovery options go, I don't think I ever installed preloader onto this system, but I'm fairly certain I did use Starfall. I don't know if that left access to any recovery menu, and if it did, I don't know how to reach it. I tried holding reset on power up as well as holding various gamecube controller buttons with it hooked into the 1st and 4th player slot.

- in regard to the brick itself, the system will power on physically, but I don't seem to be getting any signal to the TV at all. I would have guessed the TV would at least show a solid black screen, but it just tells me no signal. maybe this is normal for Wii bricks. Also, my controllers don't pick up the system either. I assume that's to be expected, but I noted it as I do not know which parts of the wiimote functionality are designated to hardware and to software.

Anyway. I'm posting to ask if this is recoverable or not. and if yes, can someone point me in the direction of the information I need. also if yes, what can be salvaged? as in my game saves and the the hacks and other things I've installed on the system.

And last thing, although its probably irrelevant at this point, I'd still like to know what went wrong with my system before I proceeded to brick it, if anyone here knows.

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
There's no reason you should be calling yourself an idiot -_-'
Bricks happen, mistakes happen, that's how it is.

Either way, the cIOS install didn't brick your wii. Did you do anything else?

edit: hehe, we registered the same day
laugh.gif

j0nnywolf

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didnt really do anything else. Except try to run my normal programs that werent starting [wiiflow] and trying to use Istallers that would freeze up when I selected ios249. Otherwaise only the instilation I mentioned above. And my brick situation happened as an immediate result.

EDIT: yeah, but I feel really stupid. I normally reasearch things before I do anything potentially dangerous, and I just got cocky and did this without even knowing If had any kind of a back up.

Despite all the warnings littered about every tutorial and thread.

j0nnywolf

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure If I have bootmii. If it wasn't given standard with the homebrew channel installer befrore with the twilight hack like it is with the installer most people use now with bannerbomb than I probobly dont have it. If it is on my system, how would I access it??

j0nnywolf

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I should add that I had originally taken out the health screen, so its hard to gauge if I would see that now, followed by a black screen, or I would still just have a black screen like I do now.

SenorClean

Trophies
XP
Country
Try savemiifrii - if it boots you should be able to do something to recover.. like, install a mod chip, autoboot SSBB, run homebrew from smashstack
wink.gif

techboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
I'm not sure If I have bootmii.
You probably don't have it. If bootmii was installed as boot2, you'd know. Try this: remove the SD card, then turn on the wii. If bootmii is installed, the disc slot will flash several times shortly after turning it on.

Also, can the wii be turned on using the remotes? If not, the bluetooth module might be bad.

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gordinio said:
A cIOS shouldn't brick the Wii. You must have done something else. Have you tried to run SaveMiFrii? Do you have BootMii?

It sounds like he installed CIOS rev 17 in the IOS 36 slot replacing IOS 36... if I am not mistaking...

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
techboy said:
Still, that shouldn't brick his wii. SM 3.2 runs on IOS30.

If he did actually manage to do that (which is not easy...), he'd only need to reinstall IOS36.

Agreed, unless the Wii has a some safety checks and a 'corrupted' IOS 36 prevents the system from booting up to 'minimalize' harm done. I have actually never worked with a wii before, I am just typing things that seem logical. =P

techboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
No such checks exist. Wiis lack a LOT of error checking, hence the reason they're so easy to brick from things like bad banners.

Also, remember that N designed the platform with user modification out of mind.

j0nnywolf

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It seems I dont have bootmii as there are no such flashes on ppwer up. I can power up the system with the wiimote, so its not the bluetooth. I'll look into savemiifrii. I've never heard of it before. Would I be able to access it without bootmii or preloader?

j0nnywolf

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanks for all the replies.

I'm actually having a hard time prying open a controller. I dont have any good screwdivers.

I may just go to town with my hammer.

I'll post back with the results.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Just a second...
j0nnywolf said:
I should add that I had originally taken out the health screen...
Did you happen to have done that with preloader or priiloader?

Try turning on the wii while holding down the reset button. If you're lucky, the preloader/priiloader menu will pop up. From there, you can launch the homebrew channel and reinstall IOS36 from there.

j0nnywolf

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, I did it with starfall.

Although I've put preloader on the systems I hacked for my freinds, I did not use it when I hacked mine. and I dont know if starfall left a similar recovery menu.

madtamski

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hmmmm, if memory serves me correctly starfall had an option which allowed you boot copied disks.

Google wii-system-menu-update-USA-v289 (since your wii is usa), burn it to dvd and try booting your wii with the disk in.

Good luck.

techboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It will need a chip unless he has CORP.

Also, the wii must at least boot to recovery with savemiifrii, menu must be 3.1 or older, and updates can't be blocked with starfall for that disc to be of any use.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse