Hacking I borked it (New 3DS, 2.1.0 sleep-mode semi-brick)

Darrow2

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi guys, in a stroke of brilliance I partially bricked my 3DS. Rather than trying to fix it on my own, I thought I'd wisely seek your counsel before I make things worse. Here is what I know:

I followed the steps of this guide: https://3ds.guide/homebrew-launcher-(soundhax)
I got as far the end of the second page where I am flashing my device’s CTRNAND partition to 2.1.0, and then I stupidly tried to turn it off and set sleep-mode by accident.

Currently I am able to boot up the DS if I remove my SD card, as soon as it is reinserted it crashes. I found this guide, that I'm tentatively planning to use: https://3ds.guide/troubleshooting.html

It says "you should clear Home Menu’s extdata by navigating to the following folder on your SD card: /Nintendo 3DS/(32 Character ID)/(32 Character ID)/extdata/00000000/"

I'm just confirming this is what I should try to do next, and I'm on the right path, before I proceed any further. Thanks guys.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: RIP Akira Toriyama
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
It's dead forever. Throw it away and buy a new new3DS.
what region are you? us?
If the OP put the system into sleep mode, it's completely dead. There is no way to recover this brick, not even with a NAND backup.

Wait, how can you boot into DS-Mode? If you put the system into sleep mode, it should be dead right now.

Last edited by The Catboy,

Tomy Sakazaki

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
Hi guys, in a stroke of brilliance I partially bricked my 3DS. Rather than trying to fix it on my own, I thought I'd wisely seek your counsel before I make things worse. Here is what I know:

I followed the steps of this guide: https://3ds.guide/homebrew-launcher-(soundhax)
I got as far the end of the second page where I am flashing my device’s CTRNAND partition to 2.1.0, and then I stupidly tried to turn it off and set sleep-mode by accident.

Currently I am able to boot up the DS if I remove my SD card, as soon as it is reinserted it crashes. I found this guide, that I'm tentatively planning to use: https://3ds.guide/troubleshooting.html

It says "you should clear Home Menu’s extdata by navigating to the following folder on your SD card: /Nintendo 3DS/(32 Character ID)/(32 Character ID)/extdata/00000000/"

I'm just confirming this is what I should try to do next, and I'm on the right path, before I proceed any further. Thanks guys.
Trying this won't give any problem (it's only the data created for home menu themes) but as Crystal said, you probably have an irrecoverable brick =(

PabloMK7

Red Yoshi! ^ω^
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Wait, how can you boot into DS-Mode? If you put the system into sleep mode, it should be dead right now.
The full brick only happens after the console has been in sleep mode for a while, or at random.
If the OP had an unrecoverable brick, he wouldn't be able to power on the console lol.
OP, tell us your region.

Last edited by PabloMK7,
D

Deleted-379826

The full brick only happens after the console has been in sleep mode for a while, or at random.
If the OP had an unrecoverable brick, he wouldn't be able to power on the console lol.
OP, tell us your region.
Yes, you would. If you brick it's normal to be able to boot up the console, just that you'd be met with a black screen.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: RIP Akira Toriyama
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
*breath in, breath out*
This information somehow bothers me, I guess because it goes against everything I have been told about this kind of brick. Since I am no help here, I will just watch this thread and hopefully learn from it.

Purple_Heart

GBATemp´s weirdest Individual
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
my 3ds was in sleepmode too, all i did was following this on the guide
Black screen on SysNAND boot

but i dont know if this would work for you OP

Darrow2

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My region is US, thanks for the help. I'll try to do the Black screen on SysNAND boot, Sora recommended. Will update with results.

Last edited by Darrow2,

SomeGamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
*breath in, breath out*
This information somehow bothers me, I guess because it goes against everything I have been told about this kind of brick. Since I am no help here, I will just watch this thread and hopefully learn from it.
I can confirm what Pablo said. Before this kind of brick was known, I put my N3DS to sleep mode on 2.1.0 multiple times and it's still in perfect condition.

Darrow2

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, progress! I followed the troubleshooting guide and deleted the folder suggested. Now the DS boots with the sd card inserted, but it crashes when I attempt to access the Homebrew Channel via SoundHax. Any suggestions?

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I can confirm what Pablo said. Before this kind of brick was known, I put my N3DS to sleep mode on 2.1.0 multiple times and it's still in perfect condition.
I have no idea why you would even do that, as every serious guide will tell you in huge red letters that putting a N3DS 2.1 to sleep will cause a brick you can't fix.

You can
not
fix.

Stop trying anything, OP. It's gone.

SomeGamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
I have no idea why you would even do that, as every serious guide will tell you in huge red letters that putting a N3DS 2.1 to sleep will cause a brick you can't fix.
I did A9LH when I had to manually hex edit my NAND dump. Pretty sure no guide was aware of this brick back then.

Darrow2

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

You can
not
fix.

Stop trying anything, OP. It's gone.

Well, that's rather pessimistic. Can anybody else confirm if this is a lost cause? As I mentioned earlier, I can now access the DS menu with the sd card inserted, but it crashes when I try to bring up the Homebrew Channel via Soundhax.

Shady Guy Jose

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Ok, progress! I followed the troubleshooting guide and deleted the folder suggested. Now the DS boots with the sd card inserted, but it crashes when I attempt to access the Homebrew Channel via SoundHax. Any suggestions?
Maybe installing A9LH through the browser? After that, a NAND dump would be restorable. Don't try it before additional confirmation, though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over