Hacking I absolutely CANNOT AFFORD A CYCLO

granville

GBAtemp Goat
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm sorry to post that in caps, but I needed to say that clearly and boldly. I have only $25 (give or take a dollar) to spend on a new slot-1 card. I just can't afford the Cyclo and need a new card badly (my old one broke remember?).

So I'm looking for some help here. I've got a few ideas, but I'm sorry that I had to lower myself to the "what card should I buy" level.

1- Supercard DS-1
2- EDGE
3- Acekard 2
4- Toptoy (going against this one)
5- iTouch DS

I have to buy from DealExtreme as they are the cheapest with free shipping.

I'm moving towards a card without a spring, but I'll still consider one with one.

Please don't say "get a Cyclo". I CANNOT afford one at the moment (probably until Christmas) and I can't wait until then. I'm so poor, it's not funny. The only reason I'm spending money on this card at all is because I'm going MAD without my DS. I'm sorry for creating this topic, but I admit I'm stupid and pathetic. If you help me, feel free to spread my ridicule and shame to everyone you can. I deserve it!
frown.gif

omgroffles

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe the EDGE? From my limited knowledge it seems great despite the tendency for the microsd to not seat flush. But if you're going to get a replacement for Christmas then that shouldn't be too bad, right?

I also heard good things about the Supercard, especially for RTS. I'd mention the Acekard 2 (I'm actually about to order one myself) but it seems if you're going mad over not having a flashcart, then the possibility of it failing and you waiting on a replacement from overseas rules it out.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ferrariman said:
Get a supercard DS 1. It has all the same features, just harder to learn.
Thank you! I knew that, but needed a confirmation. I do realize the Cyclo is best and will try to get one eventually, but this will work for now.

Will the spring in the Supercard DS-1 break easily? I'd prefer not to open the thing up. Bad experiences with the R4...

QUOTEI'd mention the Acekard 2 (I'm actually about to order one myself) but it seems if you're going mad over not having a flashcart, then the possibility of it failing and you waiting on a replacement from overseas rules it out.
The Acekard 2 can die on me?
blink.gif
That's out. I at least want a card that won't die easily. Hard to be picky in my situation, but if there's a better card at a similar price, I'd get it.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Strongbad007 said:
Just sell a kidney or something.
Cyclo's are worth it.
I don't think my mother would like that. Oops. Now you all know. I'm a 19 year old guy who lives with his (single parent) mother. Tear me out if you want.

And I can get $25 (give or take a dollar), but I have to support my mom with all the rest of the income. I've worked for months, but it doesn't seem to help much and she's not grateful. I can't let us sell the house though. She'd have a breakdown (and what do you do in a breakdown? Well, in my mother's situation, BREAK things).

754boy

:D
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
granville said:
Will the spring in the Supercard DS-1 break easily? I'd prefer not to open the thing up. Bad experiences with the R4...

No, the spring will not break. I've had mine since they were first released and the spring is still like new
grog.gif

granville

GBAtemp Goat
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
754boy said:
granville said:

No, the spring will not break. I've had mine since they were first released and the spring is still like new
grog.gif
That's comforting! I saw a review for the DS-1 on Youtube and the guy said his spring broke within the day. Maybe they fixed the spring problems in newer models. I had an R4 and the spring broke. I think I destroyed my DS because I had to open the R4 and rip out the spring.

PizzaPasta

Son of p1ngpong
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
granville said:
Strongbad007 said:
Cyclo's are worth it.
I don't think my mother would like that. Oops. Now you all know. I'm a 19 year old guy who lives with his (single parent) mother. Tear me out if you want.

And I can get $25 (give or take a dollar), but I have to support my mom with all the rest of the income. I've worked for months, but it doesn't seem to help much and she's not grateful. I can't let us sell the house though. She'd have a breakdown (and what do you do in a breakdown? Well, in my mother's situation, BREAK things).

Sounds like you should consider moving out. I know it's not my place to say so and it probably seems like the right thing to do but you shouldn't be supporting your mother. I hope things work out in the future.

omgroffles

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PizzaPasta said:
granville said:
Strongbad007 said:
Cyclo's are worth it.

Sounds like you should consider moving out. I know it's not my place to say so and it probably seems like the right thing to do but you shouldn't be supporting your mother. I hope things work out in the future.

Whoa, different strokes for different folks I guess. My parents don't exactly struggle financially, but I hope to be successful enough to retire them in the future, or at least get them something nice like a house or a car. I'd only be a fraction of what I really owe them though.

Anyway sounds like a good choice on the Supercard OP. Hope it works out for you

granville

GBAtemp Goat
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for your support everyone! I discussed this with my mother and she seems more gentle now. She has agreed to getting the $25 card. We're both struggling financially. She overdrew my bank account to buy food so we're trying to cover that. She works as a customer service rep for companies like Hotels.com and CreditReport.com and I work as a guide for the ChaCha texting service. We're pretty pathetic I guess.

Moving out isn't much of an option for me. I'd be homeless and I've no source of income without computer and internet (I need those to work Chacha).

I'll be able to get a Supercard by the end of the night.

13375p34k3r

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Despite the fact that I love my Ak2 dearly, I can't recommend it to you considering the fact that AK2's are known to break down. So just get a SCDS1, IMO Cyclo's are overated anywayz...

granville

GBAtemp Goat
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I realize that people hate the Supercard DS-1 gui. But that doesn't matter to me. What matters is price and the ability to play games properly. It's nice that it has similar features to the Cyclo too. I don't mind a slow or confusing interface. I'm getting this to play games, not to fiddle with a fancy slow GUI like Windows Vista.

Is the DS-One still getting compatibility updates and such? It isn't in a danger of losing support is it?

granville

GBAtemp Goat
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PharaohsVizier said:
*cough cough* http://dsdatabase.org/forum/viewtopic.php?...w=unread#unread *cough* This should help you set most of the settings instantly, lots of neat tips that'll get your Supercard DS ONE running great in a matter of maybe 5-10 minutes (asides from the time it takes for you to read the wall of text, just read the Supercard stuff).

And For the compatibility, Supercard team is still supporting their oldest slot-2 carts, so I don't foresee any major danger, perhaps some unforeseen accident happens or updates become completely obsolete, asides from that I don't see them dropping support any time soon.
Wow! Just the article I was looking for! Thank you very much! *Saves to hard drive*
biggrin.gif

Even if they stop support, I've a feeling community support will continue. Usually, there's an AR cheat to get non-working games to boot!
yaynds.gif

da_head

A dying dream..
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
don't be ashamed of living with your mom at 19 rofl. i'm 18, i'm living with my parents, and still planning to till i finish university, and secure a job (22 or 23). its a financially smart choice, convenient, comforting, and relaxing environment (though sometimes i wished i lived on rez)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Only if you send him feet