I absolutely CANNOT AFFORD A CYCLO

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by granville, Sep 7, 2008.

Sep 7, 2008
  1. granville
    OP

Member granville GBAtemp Goat

United States
    I'm sorry to post that in caps, but I needed to say that clearly and boldly. I have only $25 (give or take a dollar) to spend on a new slot-1 card. I just can't afford the Cyclo and need a new card badly (my old one broke remember?).

So I'm looking for some help here. I've got a few ideas, but I'm sorry that I had to lower myself to the "what card should I buy" level.

1- Supercard DS-1
    2- EDGE
    3- Acekard 2
    4- Toptoy (going against this one)
    5- iTouch DS

I have to buy from DealExtreme as they are the cheapest with free shipping.

I'm moving towards a card without a spring, but I'll still consider one with one.

Please don't say "get a Cyclo". I CANNOT afford one at the moment (probably until Christmas) and I can't wait until then. I'm so poor, it's not funny. The only reason I'm spending money on this card at all is because I'm going MAD without my DS. I'm sorry for creating this topic, but I admit I'm stupid and pathetic. If you help me, feel free to spread my ridicule and shame to everyone you can. I deserve it! [​IMG]

2. Ferrariman

Member Ferrariman Hip-Flop and cRap

Canada
    Get a supercard DS 1. It has all the same features, just harder to learn.

3. omgroffles

Newcomer omgroffles Member

United States
    Maybe the EDGE? From my limited knowledge it seems great despite the tendency for the microsd to not seat flush. But if you're going to get a replacement for Christmas then that shouldn't be too bad, right?

I also heard good things about the Supercard, especially for RTS. I'd mention the Acekard 2 (I'm actually about to order one myself) but it seems if you're going mad over not having a flashcart, then the possibility of it failing and you waiting on a replacement from overseas rules it out.

4. granville
    OP

United States
    The Acekard 2 can die on me? [​IMG] That's out. I at least want a card that won't die easily. Hard to be picky in my situation, but if there's a better card at a similar price, I'd get it.

5. pasc

Member pasc GBATemps official GBA Freak

Germany
    hmm... thats quite sad...

maybe do a chip in in your signature or something were ppl can give you money by clicking on it ?

A cheap flashcard ? Look it up in ebay... no wait, tahts a bad idea.

thats the best i found yet.

an I-touch DS for 29.99 http://www.amazon.com/iTouch-Multimedia-Fl...3678&sr=8-5

hope you'll find something.

6. Dwight

Member Dwight Gawb. Gawb Bluth.

United States
    Just sell a kidney or something.
    Cyclo's are worth it.

7. granville
    OP

United States
    I don't think my mother would like that. Oops. Now you all know. I'm a 19 year old guy who lives with his (single parent) mother. Tear me out if you want.

And I can get $25 (give or take a dollar), but I have to support my mom with all the rest of the income. I've worked for months, but it doesn't seem to help much and she's not grateful. I can't let us sell the house though. She'd have a breakdown (and what do you do in a breakdown? Well, in my mother's situation, BREAK things).

8. 754boy

Banned 754boy :D

United States
    No, the spring will not break. I've had mine since they were first released and the spring is still like new [​IMG]

9. granville
    OP

United States
    That's comforting! I saw a review for the DS-1 on Youtube and the guy said his spring broke within the day. Maybe they fixed the spring problems in newer models. I had an R4 and the spring broke. I think I destroyed my DS because I had to open the R4 and rip out the spring.

10. Carnivean

Member Carnivean STARMAN

United Kingdom
    Personally I prefer my SCDS1 to the Cyclo (my one is now in my cousin's DS).

11. granville
    OP

United States
    Thank you everyone! I've decided to get a Supercard DS-1 from DealExtreme.

12. PizzaPasta

Member PizzaPasta Son of p1ngpong

United States

Sounds like you should consider moving out. I know it's not my place to say so and it probably seems like the right thing to do but you shouldn't be supporting your mother. I hope things work out in the future.

13. MichaelVash7886

Newcomer MichaelVash7886 Newbie

United States
    On this same topic, which would be a better choice Super Card or iTouch DS?

14. omgroffles

Newcomer omgroffles Member

United States
    Whoa, different strokes for different folks I guess. My parents don't exactly struggle financially, but I hope to be successful enough to retire them in the future, or at least get them something nice like a house or a car. I'd only be a fraction of what I really owe them though.

Anyway sounds like a good choice on the Supercard OP. Hope it works out for you

15. granville
    OP

United States
    Thanks for your support everyone! I discussed this with my mother and she seems more gentle now. She has agreed to getting the $25 card. We're both struggling financially. She overdrew my bank account to buy food so we're trying to cover that. She works as a customer service rep for companies like Hotels.com and CreditReport.com and I work as a guide for the ChaCha texting service. We're pretty pathetic I guess.

Moving out isn't much of an option for me. I'd be homeless and I've no source of income without computer and internet (I need those to work Chacha).

I'll be able to get a Supercard by the end of the night.

16. 13375p34k3r

Member 13375p34k3r GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Despite the fact that I love my Ak2 dearly, I can't recommend it to you considering the fact that AK2's are known to break down. So just get a SCDS1, IMO Cyclo's are overated anywayz...

17. Tanas

Member Tanas GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    SCDS1 has great features but feels nasty, just ask sidneyyoung he will tell you the same thing, wont you mate?

18. granville
    OP

United States
    I realize that people hate the Supercard DS-1 gui. But that doesn't matter to me. What matters is price and the ability to play games properly. It's nice that it has similar features to the Cyclo too. I don't mind a slow or confusing interface. I'm getting this to play games, not to fiddle with a fancy slow GUI like Windows Vista.

Is the DS-One still getting compatibility updates and such? It isn't in a danger of losing support is it?

19. granville
    OP

United States
    Wow! Just the article I was looking for! Thank you very much! *Saves to hard drive* [​IMG]

Even if they stop support, I've a feeling community support will continue. Usually, there's an AR cheat to get non-working games to boot! [​IMG]

20. da_head

Member da_head A dying dream..

Canada
    don't be ashamed of living with your mom at 19 rofl. i'm 18, i'm living with my parents, and still planning to till i finish university, and secure a job (22 or 23). its a financially smart choice, convenient, comforting, and relaxing environment (though sometimes i wished i lived on rez)