Hyperkin SupaRetroN HD release date announced

Today Hyperkin have announced the release date for the SupaRetroN HD:

2lwb61s1d47e.jpg

Here is the info from the press release:
Introducing the SupaRetroN HD: Hyperkin's latest console not only sports a classic retro look - it's packed with tech to make playing your favourite SNES games more enjoyable than ever!

Hyperkin knows how much time, money and effort retro gamers put into building their game collection. The SupaRetroN HD has been built in a way that looks after your favourite SNES cartridges, while making the games themselves visually stunning.

Central to this philosophy is new Pin Perfect™ technology. These new state-of-the-art pins have been engineered in-house by Hyperkin and maintain perfect pin contact, even if you bump or shake the cartridge! The presence of these high quality pins alongside a special cartridge eject button means you can swap cartridges with confidence all day long.

Once slotted in, the SupaRetroN HD's HD output will display your games with incredible clarity - letting you experience those great SNES titles like never before.

2lwb7mo1d47e.jpg 2lwb8f41d47e.jpg 2lwb97k1d47e.jpg 2lwba001d47e.jpg

Full Features List

• Plays both SNES and SFC Cartridges
• HD Audio and Video: Crisp 720p HD
• Two premium controllers - The Scout - with 8ft cables
• Pin Perfect™ high-quality pins your cartridges deserve
• Cartridge Eject Button allows you to swap games quickly and easily
• HD Output and AV Output
• Supports 4:3 and 16:9 aspect ratios
• 6ft Micro-USB charge cable

The SupaRetroN HD will be released on March 9th and is available to pre-order now.

m06888_pkg_1.jpg

:arrow: SupaRetroN HD Official Site
:arrow: Preorder from Funstock.co.uk

invaderyoyo

invader
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, definitely not an expert Johnny. What's bothering me? I mean, what's the difference between this and the Analogue Super Nt? Since the NES Classic, my interest in those kind of retro emulation consoles came to be, but now I feel like the market is oversaturated. I don't know what I should get.

The Super NT copies hardware. It's as close to a real SNES as you can get. SNES mini uses software, so it has to make sacrifices and isn't as accurate. If you don't really care about accuracy and just want to play SNES on your HDTV, go for the SNES mini.

Demonofelru

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Super NT copies hardware. It's as close to a real SNES as you can get. SNES mini uses software, so it has to make sacrifices and isn't as accurate. If you don't really care about accuracy and just want to play SNES on your HDTV, go for the SNES mini.
Although the Super NT is great, and hardware emulation does have some benefits over software emulation, it’s not that simple. Higan is just as accurate as Super NT, if not more in fact Super NT had problems with even some common titles such as Mortal Kombat 2 in early firmwares. Credit to Kevtris who is incredibly talented, and seems to be fixing problems, and fast, but it’s not perfect, and probably never will be 100%. I do honestly expect it to surpass higan in the future due to how amazingly well it is being supported, but that doesn’t mean higan couldn’t also catch back up.

You also previously stated that an SNES needs to be RGB modded, while only some versions such as jrs need that. Yes there is a visual difference between later models and ones that have RGB by default, but from experience the original model still looks fine upscaled with something like the framemeister through RGB. Honestly the best way IMO is still through RGB to a high quality CRT such as a PVM/BVM, although obviously that is personal preference.

Lastly I’d argue if someone TRULY cares about accuracy, one would need an original SNES, since even the official late model SNESes exhibit minor innacuracies due to the transition to a 1 chip design.

invaderyoyo

invader
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Although the Super NT is great, and hardware emulation does have some benefits over software emulation, it’s not that simple. Higan is just as accurate as Super NT, if not more in fact Super NT had problems with even some common titles such as Mortal Kombat 2 in early firmwares. Credit to Kevtris who is incredibly talented, and seems to be fixing problems, and fast, but it’s not perfect, and probably never will be 100%. I do honestly expect it to surpass higan in the future due to how amazingly well it is being supported, but that doesn’t mean higan couldn’t also catch back up.

You also previously stated that an SNES needs to be RGB modded, while only some versions such as jrs need that. Yes there is a visual difference between later models and ones that have RGB by default, but from experience the original model still looks fine upscaled with something like the framemeister through RGB. Honestly the best way IMO is still through RGB to a high quality CRT such as a PVM/BVM, although obviously that is personal preference.

Lastly I’d argue if someone TRULY cares about accuracy, one would need an original SNES, since even the official late model SNESes exhibit minor innacuracies due to the transition to a 1 chip design.
With higan, there's more latency due to OS overhead and there have been bugs in the past as well (they were fixed right away, but the same has been true for the Super NT). Here's an article directly from higan's site comparing the two.
https://byuu.org/articles/fpgas-arent-magic/

The SNES mini is not as accurate as either higan or the Super NT.

I'll agree with you that PVM/BVM's are the best way to go, though. I have a PVM myself, but it's only a 14 incher. It really does look amazing. I've been looking for a 20 inch one, but they're pretty expensive.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: 🫂 +1