Seems people start brick their 3DS with the hope of Downgrading *devil*

oumoumad

Trophies
XP
Country
France
SoonTM? :D Gateway Soon ! :D

Seems people start brick their 3DS with the hope of Downgrading *devil*

Hykem gave his word that we will have all what he got before February, since this month is the only month where he has free time, he hopes to give maintenance and support during this month even after the release.
so it's not Gateway soon ^^

Enaske

Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah just noticed the Drama in Homebrew Talk. Don't like Hackers who post Stuff on Twitter etc. and not release anything. They always say " Look it is easy working but we not show how" that actually don't know care one. Sony / Nintendo are aware that such stuff work so post such things on FB / Twitter just want make sure they get some "fame".

vasalpa

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Yeah just noticed the Drama in Homebrew Talk. Don't like Hackers who post Stuff on Twitter etc. and not release anything. They always say " Look it is easy working but we not show how" that actually don't know care one. Sony / Nintendo are aware that such stuff work so post such things on FB / Twitter just want make sure they get some "fame".
I am reading this thread since yesterday and I have to say I am REALLY dissappointed. I was always supporting hackers but I don't like the ones who want the fame and then they keep the exploit for them. What if Geohot back in the PS3Scene kept everything for himself and acted like a child? Maybe the PS3 would not be hacked then. And he was in court with Sony (he risked his safety), that is the kind of hackers that I admire. Since yesterday all I see is drama (from hackers) and trolling (from many non-hackers or even hackers). Hykem said in the end that everything is ok but before that he acted so wrong. He wanted to ragequit? Really? I bought my Wii U two weeks ago (I have a thread somewhere over here) and I knew it would be on 5.5 but I thought it was ok cause we all waited for Christmas IOSU. Really I would be grateful and thankful if someone releases either an exploit for 5.5 or IOSU but I am really dissapointed by this kind of behavior. To make things clear I am more dissapointed in other hackers than Hykem who at least cleared things up and thank that he will keep working on this. PS: Haven't wrote a single thing in this thread sorry for the long post!

oumoumad

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hykem said in the end that everything is ok but before that he acted so wrong. He wanted to ragequit?

He didn't want to ragequit, he simply thought since others have already achieved same thing and he assumed they would release even before him, he decided to work on something else, cause logically it's unproductive to work on the same thing others are doing, for the sake of the community it's a waste of time. And you would only understand that if you saw how much time and work he already invested in this thing. People thought he quit and decided to not release anything, and yes that's because of his easily interpretable wording. But that was wrong, he never said he's not releasing anything, nor did he rage quit. But he did make a mistake of jumping the gun and make such assumption publicly.

Hykem has been the most reasonable/generous towards the community, he started working on IOSU while almost no hacker had interest in going that far back then, he has been filling the wiiubrew wiki with info on IOSU daily, he even showed people how to look for volnurabilities in IOSU.
The reason other hackers came in talking about IOSU is because Hykem went that road, the reason they decided to show off is because of hykem's hype. In fact he already said once we start developping an IOSU exploit other teams will get in the scene. Since those members were known in the 3Ds scene for solid homebrew environment, he thought the community will be in a better hands with them than him. That's the idea, Hykem has always been thinking only about the community, I don't see any other goal he would have.
Just see all his posts and you would tell ;). example :
the goal is to release everything at once, giving people more than enough time to prepare themselves. It wouldn't be fair to release the exploit only for up to 5.3.2 and leave 5.4.0/5.5.0 users in the dust.

vasalpa

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
He didn't want to ragequit, he simply thought since others have already achieved same thing and he assumed they would release even before him, he decided to work on something else, cause logically it's unproductive to work on the same thing others are doing, for the sake of the community it's a waste of time. And you would only understand that if you saw how much time and work he already invested in this thing. People thought he quit and decided to not release anything, and yes that's because of his easily interpretable wording. But that was wrong, he never said he's not releasing anything, nor did he rage quit. But he did make a mistake of jumping the gun and make such assumption publicly.

Hykem has been the most reasonable/generous towards the community, he started working on IOSU while almost no hacker had interest in going that far back then, he has been filling the wiiubrew wiki with info on IOSU daily, he even showed people how to look for volnurabilities in IOSU.
The reason other hackers came in talking about IOSU is because Hykem went that road, the reason they decided to show off is because of hykem's hype. In fact he already said once we start developping an IOSU exploit other teams will get in the scene. Since those members were known in the 3Ds scene for solid homebrew environment, he thought the community will be in a better hands with them than him. That's the idea, Hykem has always been thinking only about the community, I don't see any other goal he would have.
Just see all his posts and you would tell ;). example :
Ok thanks for the clear up! Yes that was wrong in my opinion (making assumptions too early), but of course I support him and his work. I mostly didn't like the image twitter thing from the other hackers which, as turned out, did only bad than good (correct me if I am wrong). I think it is childish to kind of mock people who are hyped about anything really. And cause of that, this thread and the "hacking and homebrew" one blew up!

EclipseSin

Ignorant Wizard
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@oumoumad I agree for the most part.
he decided to work on something else, cause logically it's unproductive to work on the same thing others are doing, for the sake of the community it's a waste of time.

That's not always true. The way they are doing something could be different and have alternate side effects of it's use. For example, using loadiine prevents pygecko from working together on current versions. An exploit used could cause the same type problems for the system's titles itself, such as the wii u not returning to home menu in some games through loadiine.

Though it's likely loadiine+pygecko combo in this example case cause of things they both use, I don't see a reason two different exploits can't result in different features/behaviors because of how they are used or loaded. And even if not, there is no reason one person's interpretation/software can't be better than another's. IOS's on the Wii are a perfect example I think. I've gone through many many cIOS since wad installer 1.0, from many different devs, and in the end, I've come to use 3 cIOS and no cMIOS. Such is the evolution of software, I guess. But I think you get what I mean.

After putting all that time in, I'd (personally) be making sure that I still finish mine, just in case it provides something another option doesn't, such as speed or other optimizations.

Last edited by EclipseSin,

oumoumad

Trophies
XP
Country
France
@oumoumad I agree for the most part.

That's not always true. The way they are doing something could be different and have alternate side effects of it's use. For example, using loadiine prevents pygecko from working together on current versions. An exploit used could cause the same type problems for the system's titles itself, such as the wii u not returning to home menu in some games through loadiine.

Though it's likely loadiine+pygecko combo in this example case cause of things they both use, I don't see a reason two different exploits can't result in different features/behaviors because of how they are used or loaded. And even if not, there is no reason one person's interpretation/software can't be better than another's. IOS's on the Wii are a perfect example I think. I've gone through many many cIOS since wad installer 1.0, from many different devs, and in the end, I've come to use 3 cIOS and no cMIOS. Such is the evolution of software, I guess. But I think you get what I mean.

After putting all that time in, I'd (personally) be making sure that I still finish mine, just in case it provides something another option doesn't, such as speed or other optimizations.

Yeh Definitely, having multiple people work on same project gives better result even when they take different approaches, but you can't deny that something requiring that much of time and effort, having two persons doing it from the beggining without telling the other can be a big waste of time, since one might be searching for something for months while the other has already found it, he could have used that time doing something else.
Yes it's good to have multiple people working on a project, but if it's open source or when information are shared between them, it would be more productive for the community.

Last edited by oumoumad,
Reactions: memomo

EclipseSin

Ignorant Wizard
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeh Definitely, having multiple people work on same project gives better result even when they take different approaches, but you can't deny that something requiring that much of time and effort, having two persons doing it from the beggining without telling the other can be a big waste of time, since one might be searching for something for months while the other has already found it, he could have used that time doing something else.
Yes it's good to have multiple people working on a project, but if it's open source or when information are shared between them, it would be more productive for the community.
True, but that isn't really the case here I think? From what we know, the work is already done (or mostly done on his end), so it wouldn't be from the beginning. He is working on some boot time exploit now anyway right, and that's not what the other thing was from my understanding?

Not disagreeing on the other points though cause those are totally accurate. :) But clear up my knowledge if you can, maybe I'm missing something here. :P

oumoumad

Trophies
XP
Country
France
True, but that isn't really the case here I think? From what we know, the work is already done (or mostly done on his end), so it wouldn't be from the beginning. He is working on some boot time exploit now anyway right, and that's not what the other thing was from my understanding?

Not disagreeing on the other points though cause those are totally accurate. :) But clear up my knowledge if you can, maybe I'm missing something here. :P

Yeah it isn't the case with what's happening now ofcourse ^^.
But if what Hykem assumed before was true, then yeah it would be the case, I mean it would mean another person was searching on IOSU persuing the same bug trying to dump same keys, decrypt same stuff etc... while one of them might have already finished that.
I'm not even talking about the end product the laymen would receive, I'm merely talking about the research happening behind, for the sake of the community, the hackers should be open to each other in telling their progress, yes that's an idealist idea that would be complicated to have in such hacking scenes.
But anyway, Hykem said : "heir work is not for release and uses a totally different exploit path then mine. This means they will be able to stockpile their exploit while I release mine. Problem solved."
So that clears it all already ^^.

75mak

Trophies
XP
Country
Those other guys can stockpile their exploit. The argument that they don't support piracy so they won't release doesn't really hold up.

First thing piracy is already here on with loadiine, it by limited to certain firmware and SD card but it already here.

Secondly, the 3ds scene is going into overdrive right now because of exploit these guys found and released pretty quickly after the Berlin conference. And these exploits while not being directly linked to piracy, its the obvious path for around 90% who use them.

So, in a way its good if more devs are on this.

The biggest problem is egos and backstabbing that goes on behind the scenes. People want the fame but don't want to credit those who gave them hints etc. Then other people egos get bruised etc.

oumoumad

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Those other guys can stockpile their exploit. The argument that they don't support piracy so they won't release doesn't really hold up.

First thing piracy is already here on with loadiine, it by limited to certain firmware and SD card but it already here.

Secondly, the 3ds scene is going into overdrive right now because of exploit these guys found and released pretty quickly after the Berlin conference. And these exploits while not being directly linked to piracy, its the obvious path for around 90% who use them.

So, in a way its good if more devs are on this.

The biggest problem is egos and backstabbing that goes on behind the scenes. People want the fame but don't want to credit those who gave them hints etc. Then other people egos get bruised etc.

I would understand public figures not want to be hold for the responsibility of piracy, but at the same time they still want to show their achievements in hacking, so such conferences are good idea, they show what's needed to make the exploit, and others will make them, and they won't feel responsible for what is made through those exploits.

The point is, these hackers who are known publicly are stuck between two things, "I enjoy hacking console and I want to show off what I spent days/weeks/even months on searching", "but I don't want to be known as this dude who's opening warez for people, I want to be respected morally and technically".

At least they showed what's needed for the exploit in the conference, Fail0verFlow didn't even do that ^^.

But yeah, I don't like all those videos, posts showing off hax to people online without even sharing the information on how they got there, let alone release the exploit.

lembi2001

Trophies
XP
Country
around Christmas™
next week™
before February™
maybe others will release it quicker than me™

This.
Not a great behavior.

In all fairness Hykem has never provided a solid release date. He has already stated that he WANTED to release at christmas but there was an issue that prevented him from doing so. The before February release has been given out to allow him to work on a potential permanent exploit. All these people complaining about something not being delivered when it "was promised" are deluding themselves. It is up to Hykem to release what he has when he is comfortable doing so.

I will say it again, If he released something that wasn't stable and it borked your console you would be whining about that instead. Why not just wait and appreciate the fruits of his labours when they are ready to be picked.

DarkKaine

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Also hoping for Smash Bros. mods to make their triumphant return :) Brawl mods were amazing, hopefully Wii U mods can come close or the same!
Introducing Project B, a mod for Tr4sh where you get magnet hands that can grab ledges from 700 miles away, inescapable bs grab-release combos, broken tier meta knight status returns and so do the glorious tripping mechanics and artificial input lag. I'd rather see a hack for MK8 which has an actual good battle mode with the old tracks I know and love.

soniczx123

Trophies
XP
Country
Introducing Project B, a mod for Tr4sh where you get magnet hands that can grab ledges from 700 miles away, inescapable bs grab-release combos, broken tier meta knight status returns and so do the glorious tripping mechanics and artificial input lag. I'd rather see a hack for MK8 which has an actual good battle mode with the old tracks I know and love.

Only because you don't want it, doesn't mean Sm4sh modding shouldn't happen...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I need shrooms to read his comments