Hacking How/When will you hack your switch for the first time??

How/when will you hack your switch for the first time?

• First wave of hack (equivalent of 4.1-4.5 on 3ds)

Votes: 50 17.5%
  • Wait for a second wave of hack (9.0-9.2)

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • Use a Flashcart (Gateway)

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • Use a modchip

Votes: 12 4.2%
  • use a CFW (first that comes out)

Votes: 141 49.5%
  • Use a CFW (wait for a noob friendly one)

Votes: 91 31.9%

• Total voters

Taffy

jdfiehgvrhfvhfjkvgrjhfejvgrjkbjvr
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The first wave of stuff will probably be somewhat unstable. I don't wanna risk it. Yet.

I'm probably gonna wait a while for things to smooth out, maybe hack my stuff some time in December.

alexj9626

Trophies
XP
Country
Panama
I hacked my 3DS on the "second wave". Didnt even know about the "first wave". How was it? Why is it separated? Was there any problem with the first wave going to the second?

Anyway, gonna do it with a noob friendly CFW/guide. I know my stuff but im not confident enought to do it as soon as it comes out.

H1B1Esquire

RxTools, the ultimate CFW machine.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hacked my 3DS on the "second wave". Didnt even know about the "first wave". How was it? Why is it separated? Was there any problem with the first wave going to the second?

4.5 with spider/MSET. 9.0/2 was blown open, as with 11.

I believe there was the addition of Miiverse and a few other notable changes that prompted others to want the update.
Plus, the money. Initially 3DS was wayyyyyy overpriced, so not too many folks had one; by the time 9.0/2 rolled around, there were more owners of a 3DS, so millions of people missed out on 4.5. Hell, I jumped on the 3DS bandwagon around 7.whatever after giving up on 4.5.

TL;DR, reasons.

-------

As for when I'll hack Switch, Soon™ (ya tu sabe.) A.K.A., you already know.

I actually plan to buy two or three more Switch units (one for my ladyfriend, one for official online, and one for MarcusD, if he should agree to give back to the community), so I'll deal with it as it rolls out, but I'm definitely getting a TX jig for "girlfriend-mode".

Last edited by H1B1Esquire,

Zumoly

GBATemp Analyst
Trophies
XP
Country
Mali
I think I will wait for things to become completely safe before hacking. Worse case scenario I don't want to brick my switch to the point I can't even install ofw. By the way, if you mess something up while in the cfw, is there a way to install nintendo ofw afresh?

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think I will wait for things to become completely safe before hacking. Worse case scenario I don't want to brick my switch to the point I can't even install ofw. By the way, if you mess something up while in the cfw, is there a way to install nintendo ofw afresh?
cfw isn't released yet - so we can't really say.

CallmeBerto

The Lone Wanderer
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm more of a wait and see kind of guy. I will see what comes out and will make my decision based on how easy it is to setup and what limitations there are. I don't care for piracy; what I really care about is the homebrew the community will create.

Reactions: Kioku

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
I'm more of a wait and see kind of guy. I will see what comes out and will make my decision based on how easy it is to setup and what limitations there are. I don't care for piracy; what I really care about is the homebrew the community will create.
This. I'm also waiting to see what the disciplinary action may be for those who modify their systems. I'd still like to access eshop.

Tigran

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I modded my second switch for emulators and such.. but I'll be honest... If I can get the official classics on an unhacked system... That's the way I'll go.

Saving will work better *yes.. I know saves DO work on Retroarch* and games are less likely to crash.

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I'm following every bit of progress here for months (if not years) and everything new that happens to the Switch kinda makes me happy and hyped, even if I don't intend to use it (like KDE for Linux for example).
Of course I would join the "game" once the CFW is out but I'm the kind of guy that waits at least a few days to see if there are any risks or damages popping up (being it hardware issues like the LCD thing with Switch Linux or software issues like the battery sync in Switch Linux or if people getting banned for unknown reasons on Horizon OS while using the CFW). I kinda feel bad to "abuse" all day one people as "beta testers" but I'm trying to find a good balance between using all the nice stuff as soon as possible and lowering the risk as much as I can.
However I have great confidence for SciresM and his team that they take care of many things before giving the public green light so I guess I won't have to wait too many weeks once Atmosphère is bootable. :)

FliP0x

Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I'll hack my Switch once something useful is released.

Loading Linux is more a proof of concept (*cough* proof of hacking) more than it is useful.

There isn't any homebrew out there that I consider useful. With useful I consider something that will improve the experience or increase the capabilities of my Switch.

I'd prefer a softmod solution and if possible "untethered". I'd go as far as the joycon hardmod, but I don't want to mess around and open up my Switch. So as soon as something like this is available, I'll hack my Switch. Before that, there is no point.

Shrike

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Just pure curiosity as to how/when average tempers will hack their switch
lets vote

I will hack my switch (hard-mod with soldering +magnet-switch because it's super awesome!!!) the day:

A: Atmosphere is out, and we can run our own homebrews with it (with GPU support pl0x!)

B: Android is (stable, with user-friendly touch support) out. (... I would be happy with Chrome OS, too btw..)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @K3Nv2, 4th what?