Hardware How well is NES, SNES, GBA, and Genesis emulation on n3DS?

03bgood

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm possibly getting a n3DS soon and I wondering how well those emulators work? I can only get GameYob to work well. BlargSNES is iffy with sound and a lot of ROMs don't work and QuickNES is the only NES emulator that works well but it crashes after loading the 3rd ROM or incompatible ones like Bio Miracle Bokutte Upa or NES Play Action Football. (I get an error about it being 4,096 megabytes or something like that)

Last edited by 03bgood,

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
snes is mostly good, nes seems to have problems here and there, gba on n3ds is supposedly playable at ~60fps for most games but sound is not perfect?
do we even have a genesis emulator?

NekoMichi

Retro Collector
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
NES, SNES, and GBA emulation are all playable on N3DS, through RetroArch. Frame rates are usually around 60, with a few ROM-specific exceptions.

CATSFC works much better than BlargSNES, I use FCEUMM and GPSP for NES and GBA respectively. Games run mostly fine with some occasional screen tearing and audio scratchiness but it's intermittent and not frequent. So far I haven't encountered any rendering glitches, graphics all seem fine too.

03bgood

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
snes is mostly good, nes seems to have problems here and there, gba on n3ds is supposedly playable at ~60fps for most games but sound is not perfect?
do we even have a genesis emulator?
Wow, I'm shocked that NES emulation is iffy but SNES and GBA is almost perfect and NES Virtual Console games are flawless, WTF!? QuickNES seems to crash if you load a 3rd ROM or load a ROM that gives you an error that says something about a "4096 kilobytes error". That's funny because most NES games are under 1MB.

GameYob runs perfect except the sound kinda crackles like a vinyl record.

Last edited by 03bgood,

03bgood

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why do you need emulators when you can just use the extensive range of Virtual Console titles that Nintendo thoughtfully provide?
Well I can understand with NES and GB/GBC and maybe Sega Genesis (But only 8 games exists as 3D Classics and there have been 13 or 14 Sega arcade games as well) but SNES and GBA (only the 10 Ambassador games exist) need emulators.

I'm about to transfer all 280+ of my Virtual Console, 3D Classics, eShop, and Digital Retail games to my n3DS and I have two download codes; Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer and the 3D Classics version of Dragon Ball Z: Super Butoden 2.

Last edited by 03bgood,

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Wow, I'm shocked that NES emulation is iffy but SNES and GBA is almost perfect and NES Virtual Console games are flawless, WTF!? QuickNES seems to crash if you load a 3rd ROM or load a ROM that gives you an error that says something about a "4096 kilobytes error". That's funny because most NES games are under 1MB.

GameYob runs perfect except the sound kinda crackles like a vinyl record.

i since got one of the quicknes retroarch nightlies and it runs all games i tried perfectly. not sure about the crashing part, but you can always just exit out with l r down b now. and while many snes games run almost full speed, dont be fooled, many dont even start. blargsnes needs quite a bit more work. and gba performance is only close to really good on a new3ds

and i cant seem to get gameyob to give me bad sound either.

03bgood

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i since got one of the quicknes retroarch nightlies and it runs all games i tried perfectly. not sure about the crashing part, but you can always just exit out with l r down b now. and while many snes games run almost full speed, dont be fooled, many dont even start. blargsnes needs quite a bit more work. and gba performance is only close to really good on a new3ds

and i cant seem to get gameyob to give me bad sound either.
I hope we can get GBA to run just like it does on PSP/Go. SNES should also run perfect or very damn close to it (Not sure about games like Kirby Super Star and SMRPG)

Last edited by 03bgood,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I tried that new Pepsi lime it just taste like pepsi
  • DTApple @ DTApple:
    With lime, right?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Just pepsi lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh yeah it's D-Days 80th anniversary today
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I drink the Coke with lime all the time, in my Spiced rum (Captain Morgans) I hate pepsi
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Probably better just to jizz a lime squeeze inside it
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    volvic > anything else
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My piss is water
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That looks like the router i just got from microcenter. Spectrum wanted to charge me $7 a month for a wifi router, so I said no thank you and just bought one, I paid like $65 tho
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Linksys?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea its Linksys, but not sure if same model, has 4 antennas
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    6gbps and two usb ports that supports ntfs is pretty solid dont care if it's reconditioned for $55
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Just trying to figure out if it's vpn supported
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I could probably set it up like a nas device
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    TP your router
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Unless @Psionic Roshambo can convince me to spend $100 on a better option I'm probably going with it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Works great for me, all i need. Can go way back on edge of property and still get 3/5 bars. And it let me setup IP Vanish on it no problem.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Google fibers router sucks keeps randomly blocking websites
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Does it say "Unexpected Database Error"?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Might as well 403
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I yell at my isp like listen if I get a virus that's on me stop trying to protect me
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    and i just scratched my leg again, this time fortunately the only thing that came out was the itch
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: and i just scratched my leg again, this time fortunately the only thing that came out was the itch