Tutorial  Updated

How to use NitroHax3DS (Including Managing Cheats File Size)

NitroHax3DS is a tool to apply cheat codes to NTR (NDS) games on the 3DS. This tutorial guides you on how to install, add cheats, and how to deal with the 2,500kb (2.5mb) cheats.xml file size limit. This tutorial does not show you the general usage of NitroHax, as the homebrew GUI generally takes care of that for you.

Requirements
  • A 3DS with Luma 6.1.2 or newer using boot9strap is the recommended setup for your 3DS and for any homebrew.
    If you are still on arm9loaderhax, pasta cfw, or anything alike, then try updating your hacks to boot9strap.
  • NitroHax3DS 0.99.NTR (Final ver?) CIA file, Do not use the DSi release downloads.
  • FBI 2.6.1 (Final) for installing NitroHax3DS CIA file.
  • Revolution 4 Cheat Code Editor (R4CCE) for managing the cheats.xml cheats and therefore the file size.
  • An Action Replay XML file (cheats.xml), e.g., DeadSkullzJr Repo (right click -> save link as), CodeJunkies EU, CodeJunkies US
NitroHax3DS Installation and Usage

Please follow the instructions on the NitroHax3DS readme for general Installation and Usage Instructions.

Lowering the cheats.xml file size

While NitroHax3DS has no actual cheats.xml file size limit, it should NOT exceed 2.5MB, nor should it really even get close to that size. NitroHax3DS loads the cheats.xml to RAM and the 3DS only has 4MB of RAM. This means you would potentially run out of ram, or leave too little amount of RAM available for the game or system to work sufficiently.

To be on the safe side I recommend lowering the cheats.xml file size to be less than 1.5MB in size. The lower it is, the better. You should only have cheat codes for games you want to use, and only have cheat codes you plan to actually use. White screens and crashes may be caused by the cheats.xml being too large (even if it's around 1.5MB).
  1. Open R4CCE, click `File` -> `Open` -> And open the cheats.xml file.
  2. Remove all cheats for games you do not have and/or want to use, the more you can remove the better.
  3. Once you have the cheats.xml lowered as much as you can, Put it on the root of your 3DS SD Card.
F.A.Q

Q: I get a white screen when booting from Nitro but not when I boot normally;
A: The game may be unsupported, or the cheat code may be incompatible with your specific ROM region.

Q: I'm encountering a problem that happens even if I disable all cheats, yet doesn't happen if I play without NitroHax3DS;
A: It might be a NitroHax3DS problem. If you feel strongly that it could be a NitroHax3DS bug, report it on the GitHub Issues page and not here.

Q: Do DSi Enhanced Games work? What about DSi Exclusive Games?
A: No! [source] Sadly DSi Enhanced Games are not supported! This is due to NitroHax using an incredibly outdated Cart loader code that is not compatible with TWL game cartridges. This means both DSi Enhanced and DSi Exclusive games are not supported. E.g., Pokemon SoulSilver/HeartGold (DSi Enhanced), and Face Training (DSi Exclusive).

Got a question not here? Post it below.

Last edited by PRAGMA,

DwarfWarden

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thread Necromancy? You bet, but who's gonna stop me? I am the police!
Just a reminder these are tests of Nitrohax 0.99

FINAL FANTASY 3: Tried a lot of different codes like the 99 Job points code, Job Level 99 On Job Level Up code, EXP multipliers, Top Left Item Slot modifiers, everything works just fine.\

FINAL FANTASY 4 DS: I HAVE FOUND A CONFIRMED ERROR. Yes, that is true. Now, first of all let me preface this with the following: Nitrohaxx 0.99 works 99% of the time with FF4DS. I've used XP multipliers, the Item Drop code to guarantee drops, 2x Movement Speed, Instant ATB Gauge Fill, Instant Cast Meter Fill, Press Start To Complete Current Map, and a couple other codes and I can confirm all of them work.

BUT.

For some reason, directly after the first Cagnazzo fight, where the cutscene plays with the walls closing in, the cutscene will play normally up until it gets to the part where Yang is pushing on the closing wall and Tellah is pushing on him. At this point it should move camera to Palom and Porom except only when using NitroHax it freezes here. I can press the Start button twice before the cutscene freezes to skip the cutscene, I can view the cutscene just fine in Event Viewer, and all cutscenes before this and the one directly after with Kain on the airship work fine too. But I know it's NitroHax because I tried doing the battle 3 times with a multitude of codes turned off (even having no codes active at all) and it froze each time but when I would just select the game itself and beat Cagnazzo the cutscene would play just fine. I did this to make sure that it wasn't some unforseen error with a New 3DS XL and it wasn't. This game played just fine on my original DS and unhacked original 3DS so I have confirmed the cart and systems are fine, it's just NitroHax. And it seems to have no effect whatsoever on the game, you just have to skip that particular cutscene. I'll report back with other cutscene failures if those come up.

EDIT: Just came up with another error with Final Fantasy 4. The dungeon "The Giant of Babil" has a problem exclusively with NitroHax. Random encounters can randomly freeze the game, forcing the player to reset the whole system. It doesn't seem to do any permanent damage to the save or cart. I had one battle with a Searcher where midway through the game froze, then one more attempt at the dungeon I had an encounter with two Clockwork Dragons that froze before the battle fully loaded from the fade-in-from-white transition animation. Slightly worse than the above error, but not gamebreaking in any way. I switched to just playing the game normally (not through NitroHax) and got through the dungeon. I'm almost through the game so I'll be able to see if there are any more issues.

Last edited by DwarfWarden,

destany1989

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
why is it sometimes it says null? it happened on a game already in cheat list and a game i added. i made sure game id was etc. cheat list wont load for dqm2 dragon monsters quest joker. it's a game i added. and spectrobes which was already added.

xeref

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I am beyond confused if you reply at all to this my main issue is i have no idea how to make a cia file and normally all i do is get the cia then use fbi to install but i have no idea how to get or make a cia file for this

ACCA919

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
1. I'm in a Chinese region and when I open R4CCE, I got this absolute unit of words
sWLf2jp

2. When I start a game, I was greeted with a whitescreen (Probably bc I'm not using a game card). Where should I place my .nds files if I want to use ROMs?
3. The main reason I'm here is bc a beta ROM hack have a glitch preventing unlocking things. How do I use Nitrohax with ROM hacks?
Additional info: TWiLight Menu ++ is available

Last edited by ACCA919,

yu767485

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there an option that can save the cheat code settings so you don't have to set the codes you want every time you boot the game?

dsdavis6

Trophies
XP
Country
There seems to be a lot of questions about not being able to install it and I suspect that people are not realizing there are two downloads for .99. Below the dsi version is the cia that people are looking for.

MattTheDemonCat

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
where do I download the cheat codes/cheats from for my game? i cant find it but I would like to know where. And once I have downloaded them where do I put them? I plan on using new super mario bros.

plorthos

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
I am getting a white screen for James Cameron's Avatar The Game US after selecting cheats and pressing start and the health and safety screen shows up.

ZaganZorula

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Pokemon Black and White aren't working for me, can I get some help?
I know I've followed the steps correctly because all my other games work just fine.

HailAndStormCats

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Random thing: I downloaded the USA XML file, minified the XML data, loaded the XML file onto my 3DS, and it just worked.

Attachments

• cheats.xml.zip
    289.9 KB · Views: 193
Reactions: Seriel

Christopher Baney

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I'm using the most recent version of NitroHax (V0.99) and it still looks like Black, White, Black 2 and White 2 are not supported, any plans to get it supported in the near future. I would use TWiLight Menu++ but it doesn't allow cheats on Physical Cartridges and I can't use a rom for the thing I'm trying to do.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-