Did this work for you?

• Total voters

BARNWEY

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even though this topic has already been brought up (https://gbatemp.net/threads/any-wany-to-use-cheat-codes-on-a-gba-virtual-console-game.425490/) this method is still unknown to many users. So, I've decided to make an easy-to-follow guide on how to use cheats with the GBA Virtual console for 3DS.

For starters, you will need a few files:
GBAATM: https://gbatemp.net/threads/gba-auto-trainer-maker-gbaatm.99334/ (download link is down, linked below.)
Ultimate GBA VC Injector: https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-ultimate-gba-vc-injector-for-3ds.438057/
And some cheats, linked below is a collection of .cht files that are compatible with GBAATM (they are translated from chinese, please forgive the broken english.) You can also use codebreaker codes, though most codebreaker codes will not work unless they don't have a master code (The RNG Kill Code in Pokemon does not count).

Now, onto the tutorial!
Part 1, Backing up your saves (optional):
1. Go into your 3DS, and launch the game that has the save you want to back up
2. Reboot, and open GodMode9
3. Open SYSNAND VIRTUAL (Drive S: ), and copy the gbavc.sav (not agbsave.bin).
4. Create a separate folder somewhere on your SD card for the save, and paste it inside that folder.
5. Repeat for all your GBA games.

Part 2, Using GBAATM:
1. Open GBAATM and select the ROM you want to patch
2. Most of the settings are already configured for you, such as what ram to use, etc. Just make sure that "Code Type" shows "Codebreaker/GS 3".
3. Under patches, check Trainer (cheats option). *You can also check "slow motion" if you want...*
4. Make sure Enable/Disable is checked, then configure it how you want. *I personally just have "Enabled at start?" checked, and leave the key-combos alone. As using the menu in-game has a tendency to cause temporary graphical corruption...*
5. Under Settings, check Trainer menu. Here, you have a lot of interface options to mess around with, though they're pretty useless besides just looking nice. As long as you have Trainer menu checked, you're good.
6. Finally, onto the good stuff! You can either paste your Code Breaker cheats into the text box (make sure they don't require a master code) or select Load cheat file. Each of your cheats should look like this:
Cheat name:
Cheatcode

WARNING! DO NOT USE ANY CHEAT CODES IF THERE IS A CORRUPTED OR MISSING CHEAT NAME, THANK YOU!

7. Once you have everything input, and you have your cheats set up and renamed the way you want it, it's time to save. Choose where you want it to be output, you can do this under the Save As option. *I personally would keep your clean and patched ROMs seperate, as the cheats may not always work properly. The cheat module may also mess with Ultimate GBA VC Injector's auto save type detection.*
8. Click Patch Game, and it will be exported to your desired location
9. Repeat for all the games you want to use cheats with
10. (optional) Test all of the ROMs and cheats in an emulator, some may not work or may not have been patched properly.

Part 3, using Ultimate GBA VC Injector:
1. Open, and select your patched ROM.
2. It should auto-fill the ROM Size and Save Type options. If it doesn't, open it with the clean ROM first, and then input the correct save type after re-opening the patched ROM (do not change the rom size).
3. On the next screen, fill out all the information about the game and choose an icon image.
4. Same with the next screen
5. On the VC Parameters screen, it should do most of the work for you. Configure the game to your liking, just remember to randomize the Product Code and Title ID for every game. However, do not check anything under Game patches & extras. All the patches under this section may interfere with the cheat menu.
6. Install the .cia files on your 3DS

Part 4, Restoring your saves (only if you did Part 1):
1. Launch the GBA VC on your 3DS that has the save you want to restore.
2. Reboot, and open GodMode9
3. Find the gbavc.sav for your game
4. Go back, and open SYSNAND VIRTUAL (drive S: )
5. Paste your save in there
6. Enter the key combo when prompted
7. Reboot, and repeat for all the games that have saves you want to restore

Now, when you open your games, you will be greeted with a cheat menu. Here are the controls for the menu:
Press A on a cheat to enable it (you can tell because there is a letter beside the name, and it will change from N to Y when enabled)
Press B on a cheat to disable it (you can tell because the Y will change to N when disabled)
Press Up or Down to navigate the menu
Press Start to start the game

Notice: You may notice a few graphical glitches when cheats are enabled (mostly in cut scenes, such as the intro to Pokemon Fire Red), these are temporary and do not mean that there's something wrong with the game. The only time I would be concerned is if your game was acting up all the time and was unplayable...

Credits: Myself (for creating this tutorial), @Ray2R (for suggesting the idea), @Asdolo (for developing Ultimate GBA VC Injector), @cracker (for developing GBAATM), and @d0k3 (for developing GodMode9)

Let me know if this has worked for you, if you have problems, or if you have suggestions for this thread :)

Fun fact: The list of cheats below is actually the GBA cheat database from GBATemp before it went down, it is still the best collection of .cht files I could find :rofl2:

Edit: I am very serious when I say to ask if you're having trouble. If I didn't want to help out then I wouldn't have made this guide...

Attachments

• 4-27-09_GBA-CHEATS.zip
    1.6 MB · Views: 5,226
  • GBAATM.rar
    58.5 KB · Views: 3,059
Last edited by BARNWEY,
D

Deleted User

can you please make a video, if not for the tutorial then at least for the final result?

Dracari

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
should not that not every single game will play nice w/ this method of patching in cheats but for the majority people use a GBA VC with, should be good. (always test teh patched from in something like VBA-M etc before making the VC to rule out a bad rom)

BARNWEY

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
should not that not every single game will play nice w/ this method of patching in cheats but for the majority people use a GBA VC with, should be good. (always test teh patched from in something like VBA-M etc before making the VC to rule out a bad rom)
I think I did recommend to test out the games before making them into a VC, though all of the games I tried so far work pretty well with GBAATM...

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

can you please make a video, if not for the tutorial then at least for the final result?
I will show the final result, though I will not make a video guide. Simply because I don't have the time to make, and keep a video guide updated. A text guide is much easier to maintain...

Last edited by BARNWEY,

navi_1er

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is nice and all but won't work on all games. Games that are at 32mb have issues with this. It seems hard at first but it really is pretty easy on how to do.

Reactions: CatmanFan

BARNWEY

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is nice and all but won't work on all games. Games that are at 32mb have issues with this. It seems hard at first but it really is pretty easy on how to do.
It's mostly just graphical issues though. GBAATM does try to not corrupt the game, though it isn't perfect. Though I did get it to work just fine with Fire Emblem (32mb)... Besides, this is the only option until we get a good GBA emulator that supports cheats...

Last edited by BARNWEY,

Just_browsing

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there a simple way to add this to already made cia files? or extract the rom to re use and input it? Whenever I try using the ultimate vc injectors the icons don't sit right on the cia

Edit: I realized what to do right afterwards and its working great. Thanks for this guide

Last edited by Just_browsing,

BARNWEY

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there a simple way to add this to already made cia files? or extract the rom to re use and input it? Whenever I try using the ultimate vc injectors the icons don't sit right on the cia

Edit: I realized what to do right afterwards and its working great. Thanks for this guide
No prob, any time...

Xyphoseos

Hack or no games
Trophies
XP
Country
France
upload_2017-7-13_2-53-20.png

I get this when I load cheat file... why ?

Reactions: CatmanFan

BARNWEY

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
View attachment 92688

I did not create the cheat files, so I can't give you a definitive reason why, though my guess is that it happened due to the fact that they were translated from a different language... What game are you trying to patch?
Edit: I see which one it is, I'll figure it out...

Last edited by BARNWEY,

BARNWEY

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
View attachment 92688

Unfortunately dude, some of the .cht files (those with corrupted name text for cheats) generally do not work anyways. I tried searching for some compatible codes, but there aren't any that work with this program. Neoseeker, CodeTwink, all of those sites provided codes that don't work with this program. At least, that specific game has a built-in cheat system in the form of the password system. I used to use that all the time as a kid to input cheats, and I think you might have better luck using that instead...

Reactions: Xyphoseos

Xyphoseos

Hack or no games
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I did not create the cheat files, so I can't give you a definitive reason why, though my guess is that it happened due to the fact that they were translated from a different language... What game are you trying to patch?
Edit: I see which one it is, I'll figure it out...
Unfortunately dude, some of the .cht files (those with corrupted name text for cheats) generally do not work anyways. I tried searching for some compatible codes, but there aren't any that work with this program. Neoseeker, CodeTwink, all of those sites provided codes that don't work with this program. At least, that specific game has a built-in cheat system in the form of the password system. I used to use that all the time as a kid to input cheats, and I think you might have better luck using that instead...

The game was Pokémon Mystery Dungeon - Red Rescue Team

corniander

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Excellent write-up Barnwey!

There's one case I've been having trouble with - I've been unable to get this cheat to work on Mother 3 (translated v1.1) via GBAATM

(from https://forum.starmen.net/forum/Games/Mother3/Full-Cheat-Code-List/page/1/)
Always Get 16 Hit Combos
(enter as a Gameshark code in VBA or whatever emulator your using.)
A986DFE1 8532B3F6
7750E1A0 3FACA8E8
368FBAB5 4691351A​

I've been able to get the cheat working in VBA (see attached .clt), but no luck with GBAATM patching. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• 16h.clt.txt
    8.2 KB · Views: 615

BARNWEY

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Excellent write-up Barnwey!

There's one case I've been having trouble with - I've been unable to get this cheat to work on Mother 3 (translated v1.1) via GBAATM

(from https://forum.starmen.net/forum/Games/Mother3/Full-Cheat-Code-List/page/1/)
Always Get 16 Hit Combos
(enter as a Gameshark code in VBA or whatever emulator your using.)
A986DFE1 8532B3F6
7750E1A0 3FACA8E8
368FBAB5 4691351A​

I've been able to get the cheat working in VBA (see attached .clt), but no luck with GBAATM patching. Any suggestions?
It needs to be a code breaker code, Game Shark doesn't work...

corniander

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over