Hacking How to update OFW without touching Nintendo servers?

musicman16

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been thinking about playing online on my Switch sometimes. I've been using only my emuMMC and just update it once in a while. Normally I'd use Nintendo servers to update the OFW but there's just one problem; I disabled AutoNoGC and booted into my emuMMC to play game card games (emuMMC has a higher firmware) and now game cards do not function on stock firmware because the fuses have burned in the gamecard reader.

I feel like if I go online and update using Nintendo servers that'll be a red flag. What's something I could do to update without touching their servers?

thesjaakspoiler

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
I have never heard of someone getting banned because of the gamecard reader.
Nintendo checks whether you installed games with invalid certificates (in other words, not purchased through the eshop or game cart).

The only way of even updating the OFW with a CFW is to start Hekate and boot to the Sysnand (instead of the emummc).
Then you can use DayBreak to update the firmware.

Reactions: Blythe93

Quincy

Your own personal guitarist :3
Trophies
Website
youtek.net
XP
Country
Netherlands
Updating stock OFW is fine, just keep your emunand disconnected from Nintendo-servers (but Atmosphere usually takes care of that if you haven't explicitly disabled exosphere or something).

What I usually do is download my firmware through the AIO Switch updater and install it with Daybreak on the emuNAND, and just use the regular updater on the sysNAND and I have yet to be banned. Just keep sysNAND clean (i.e. don't install any NSPs or XCIs or anything else).
Post automatically merged:

The only way of even updating the OFW with a CFW is to start Hekate and boot to the Sysnand (instead of the emummc).
Then you can use DayBreak to update the firmware.
A system that isn't banned is able to update through the regular means, no need for daybreak there.

Nephiel

Artificer
Trophies
XP
just use the regular updater on the sysNAND
Note that if you have a V1 with AutoRCM enabled and update OFW the usual way, it will disable AutoRCM, and you will need a jig to boot Hekate the next time and re-enable it.

And for all models, it will burn efuses too, so any eMMC dump you may have from before the update cannot be restored to sysMMC anymore, or OFW will not boot.

Reactions: Blythe93

RednaxelaNnamtra

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Note that if you have a V1 with AutoRCM enabled and update OFW the usual way, it will disable AutoRCM, and you will need a jig to boot Hekate the next time and re-enable it.

And for all models, it will burn efuses too, so any eMMC dump you may have from before the update cannot be restored to sysMMC anymore, or OFW will not boot.
depend on how you boot into the sysnand.
If you boot into the sysnand via normal atmosphere cfw, like I do, it will not remove autorcm, while allowing normal updating.
On the other side booting via stock=1 probably removes it, since its just using exosphere and thus doesn't prevent overwriting it.

Reactions: Nephiel

musicman16

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry for the late reply. So it's safe to update normally in OFW instead of doing it the offline way using Daybreak?

If so then I'm going to run TegraExplorer's systemwipe script and then update normally

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Barbie meet MJ +1