Gaming How to update Network adapter driver to connect to Internet?

MindC0ntroll

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I apologize if Im spamming this section with my computer problems. But anyway, I had another topic on here "Need help in connecting my PC intel build w/ Windows 7 to internet" ( http://gbatemp.net/t...-7-to-internet/ ) where I am trying to connect my PC to the internet. It's been a few days and by messing around, I've made a bit of progress on my networking issues.

The drivers that I downloaded off my motherboard's support site (ASUS) were the right ones, even though I still couldn't see the Network adapter show in the Device Manager. What I did was basically click on the "Look for drivers on my computer" option when I clicked on the "Update driver" in the Unknown device window. Then a window appeared with all the named brands in Network Adapters in alphabetical order. I clicked on "Realtek" and found the Network adapter driver for my ASUS PH7H55 M PRO, which was the Realtek RTL8111B Lan. I've managed to get it to install but there was an error. I then tried to install the network adapter driver through the setup application in my driver folder. I still can't connect to the internet but at least I've managed to locate the right network adapter driver for it, as it appears in the Device Manager in the Network Adapter subtitle.

Now when I click on troubleshoot in the task bar, windows tells me that there is a problem with the network driver (picture here: http://gbatemp.net/gallery/image/6939-network-driver-error/ ) and that it needs to be updated, which I don't understand since the driver that I installed was suppose to be the latest network adapter driver. Any help on this? I still have an unknown device show in the Device manager but I can update it as soon as I can connect my PC to the internet so updating the network driver is top priority for me right now. What should I do? And I still can't get the ethernet cable to be recognize as of now.

MindC0ntroll

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im starting to think that's the case. The ethernet port in the back still doesn't light up...

Anyway is it a simple process in installing the network card on my PC?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
PCI-E does have a minimum transfer rate higher than PCI (even at one lane 1.0), but PCI's still higher than the internet speed of... pretty much everybody, so I didn't think of it as needed.

However their board does have a PCI-E x1 slot, so it would keep one of the PCI slots free for later additions (as the only other thing I've seen PCI-E x1 used for it capture cards).

MindC0ntroll

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So a PCI-E card then? Will I have to buy a specific one for my motherboard or am I good to go with any one?

EDIT: Will this PCI-E card be okay since I use broadband? http://www.ebay.com/itm/PCI-E-10-100-1000M-Gigabit-Network-Ethernet-LAN-Express-Card-2012-newest-/110889944250?pt=US_Internal_Network_Cards&hash=item19d18e44ba

MindC0ntroll

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I finally got the PCI-E card, installed it, updated the drivers with the CD it came with. Now I finally have access to the internet (after 2 weeks of me guessing and of course, help from you guys) Thanks

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: You can make a post on the DS forum about your findings, and they'll do their best to respond...