Hardware how to update bios on old compaq

Dominator211

JFK's Jelly Donut
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a very old Compaq from about 1998 and I am trying to install windows 2000 on it but it says something about my bios being incompatible. so I downloaded the latest bios from HP and I don't know how to install it. it seems like I need a floppy disk but there is not a floppy slot on this PC. I am honestly so confused.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Very odd for a computer that old not to have a floppy drive. You may have to get one, since even if the PC has USB it probably won't be able to boot from it.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Could you link us to the model and BIOS update? Also, is there a reason you're installing a depreciated Windows version instead of something like Lubuntu?

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Could you link us to the model and BIOS update? Also, is there a reason you're installing a depreciated Windows version instead of something like Lubuntu?

Win 9x gaming machine.
I got a IBM T20 laptop purely for old Win 9x games.

Reactions: Lacius

YOUCANTSTOPME

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You NEED a floppy drive for a 1998 machine to update a BIOS. USB won't work. It will most likely be a DOS BIOS flasher. Without knowing the exact specs of the PC, it's hard to give you the steps. Are you even sure that updating the BIOS will solve this problem? Does HP list that the update will allow Win 2k?

Dominator211

JFK's Jelly Donut
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You NEED a floppy drive for a 1998 machine to update a BIOS. USB won't work. It will most likely be a DOS BIOS flasher. Without knowing the exact specs of the PC, it's hard to give you the steps. Are you even sure that updating the BIOS will solve this problem? Does HP list that the update will allow Win 2k?
the bios is listed from mid 2000. the specs ar a PII @300MHZ with 64MB Ram

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I haven't played my Switch n a month or so, just been playing Xbox, and just picked to play lil...