ROM Hack How to Undub a game??

singlepringle

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would like to Undub Inazuma Eleven GO Shadow. The Light version has already been Undubbed by someone, but I'd like to undub the Dark version. How to go about this? Thanks!

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
As a general approach for most games on most systems then the devs don't tend to change much during localisation here.
To that end open up the ROM with the language you want, locate the audio files. Overwrite equivalent audio in other ROM. Some hacks might even allow you to substitute a file. For the most part you need not know more than how to unpack a ROM (usually loads of guides and tools for any system with the option for it), locate the audio (audio files are desirable targets for hackers so they tend to document what the common types are, but you also have the clues of file and folder names, sizes and options to repack the game with files tweaked to see what breaks), copy and paste a file and repack the ROM (probably with the same tool you unpacked it with).

This is far easier with things with a filesystem, though even without those then all is not lost for the non hacker as many will still have tools of some form. That said voiced audio was more the domain of CDs and large carts so it tends not to be a problem as said things usually have a file system.

Sometimes the devs do change things and if not having to book thousands per day audio studios and voice actors to record lines (to say nothing of playing audio engineer afterwards) for a niche game is an option then it is far from unheard of for it to be taken, or maybe where originally a lot was voiced then only the main characters (or even only the main storyline, or certain aspects of it in some confusing cases). In these cases it can be harder if the calls to the audio are stripped out and won't try to play anything. You can add them back in but it is often easier in those instances to backport the script to the dub you like.

Sometimes the audio files might be entangled within other files you don't want to change. I tend to find audio is left alone, even when other things are merged in odd ways, but it is far from unheard of for audio to be stuck in with other things and not immediately accessible. Assuming nobody has made an unpacker/repacker for that game/file format then you get to play hacker to do it. If you are just doing it for you then it is often possible to put the donor audio from the dub you like at the end of the big file and change the apparent location of the audio to said end point and avoid lots of hassle that way.

In this case you possibly also have the bonus of what is essentially the same game (I don't know if light and dark here are more like pokemon where it is basically identical games, or more like demi kids where light and dark versions there were very different games) which you can probably grab the undub for and figure out what files were changed between original and hacked/undubbed version. If the games are the near identical "parent's wallet is too fat" type affairs then you can probably mirror what was done on the ROM version you want.

Reactions: Tokenx

singlepringle

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As a general approach for most games on most systems then the devs don't tend to change much during localisation here.
To that end open up the ROM with the language you want, locate the audio files. Overwrite equivalent audio in other ROM. Some hacks might even allow you to substitute a file. For the most part you need not know more than how to unpack a ROM (usually loads of guides and tools for any system with the option for it), locate the audio (audio files are desirable targets for hackers so they tend to document what the common types are, but you also have the clues of file and folder names, sizes and options to repack the game with files tweaked to see what breaks), copy and paste a file and repack the ROM (probably with the same tool you unpacked it with).

This is far easier with things with a filesystem, though even without those then all is not lost for the non hacker as many will still have tools of some form. That said voiced audio was more the domain of CDs and large carts so it tends not to be a problem as said things usually have a file system.

Sometimes the devs do change things and if not having to book thousands per day audio studios and voice actors to record lines (to say nothing of playing audio engineer afterwards) for a niche game is an option then it is far from unheard of for it to be taken, or maybe where originally a lot was voiced then only the main characters (or even only the main storyline, or certain aspects of it in some confusing cases). In these cases it can be harder if the calls to the audio are stripped out and won't try to play anything. You can add them back in but it is often easier in those instances to backport the script to the dub you like.

Sometimes the audio files might be entangled within other files you don't want to change. I tend to find audio is left alone, even when other things are merged in odd ways, but it is far from unheard of for audio to be stuck in with other things and not immediately accessible. Assuming nobody has made an unpacker/repacker for that game/file format then you get to play hacker to do it. If you are just doing it for you then it is often possible to put the donor audio from the dub you like at the end of the big file and change the apparent location of the audio to said end point and avoid lots of hassle that way.

In this case you possibly also have the bonus of what is essentially the same game (I don't know if light and dark here are more like pokemon where it is basically identical games, or more like demi kids where light and dark versions there were very different games) which you can probably grab the undub for and figure out what files were changed between original and hacked/undubbed version. If the games are the near identical "parent's wallet is too fat" type affairs then you can probably mirror what was done on the ROM version you want.

Thank you! So I have to:
1. Unpack the ENG game, by extracting the .ROMFS
2. Unpack the JP game, by extracting the .ROMFS
3. Replace all audio files in the ENG game with the JP version

My issue is, after this, how do I put it back into a .CIA? I would use Luma, but the issue is that all the files are compressed into a single, massive .FA file, and it would probably lag a lot if it is with Luma.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    PandaPandel @ PandaPandel: yassssss i love emerald