[How To] Transfer emuNAND to another SD card. Working on New3DS!

Discussion in '3DS - Tutorials' started by Zaazu, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Nicro

Nicro Member

Newcomer
    Jun 5, 2017
    Germany
    The Void
    Well yeah, you can. If you want to switch to a bigger (or different) sdcard it will certainly not hurt to go with a 1:1 copy.
    Though I have seen better ways to do this even if I am the odd Linux person in the bunch. This should work either way.

2. MrJason005

MrJason005 √2

Nov 26, 2014
    Greece
    Κάπου
    I don't think this guide is relevant anymore
    You can just use godmode9 to do this very easily

3. SquidGuy
    This message by SquidGuy has been removed from public view by Depravo, Feb 24, 2018, Reason: unnecessary one word post.
    Feb 24, 2018
  4. Bondgirl85

Bondgirl85 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 12, 2018
    United States
    I don't understand this, when I got a hacked 3DS, all I did was a bought a bigger sd card and I put the current sd card in my computer and backed it all up by putting it all into a new folder by copying it all. Then I put the new sd card in there and copied everything to the new sd card and wa lah, everything still worked. It was the same as if I was doing it with a unhacked 3ds when you upgrade to a bigger card. Even the Nintendo website had these instructions too about upgrading to a bigger sd card. But always format the card first of course for it to work on your game system or else it won't read the files. I didn't need to use any special programs.

5. Maximilious

Maximilious *whistles his distinct tune*

GBAtemp Patron
    Maximilious is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 21, 2014
    United States
    This is an outdated post and was needed at one point in time when emuNAND tool wasn't working after 9.6 was released and introduced more encryption into the OS. emuNAND Tool has been updated as the post points out and should be used for emuNAND backups once again.

This post should probably be removed from the sticky section.

6. G9XFTW

G9XFTW Member

Newcomer
    Dec 21, 2017
    India

7. Maximilious

Maximilious *whistles his distinct tune*

GBAtemp Patron
    Maximilious is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 21, 2014
    United States
    Yes. If you have no emuNAND present then a straight copy/paste of your data should suffice. As always, make a backup of your data.

8. nl255

nl255 GBAtemp Addict

Apr 9, 2004
    The guide is for people who are using an emunand, something that is rarely used anymore. Other than developers, the main reasons to bother with emunand are to bypass the 300 title limit or for Gateway users.

9. Rdpruitt

Rdpruitt Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 18, 2018
    United States
    I bought a hacked 3ds on ebay. it has luma, homebrew and fbi. how can I tell if it uses a emunand? and I cant just copy and paste my sd card into a bigger one. it didn't work. and the process that was written in the original post isn't working for me. I read that the emunand tool thing couldn't be used past 9.something. Is it updated and fixed now? can I use it on 3ds software 11?

and how hard is it to update my hacks so I don't need an emunand? if that is possible.

I am just really frustrated with trying to keep my games, saves, and hacks and transfer to a bigger sd card. please help me

10. MrJason005

MrJason005 √2

Nov 26, 2014
    Greece
    Κάπου
    open godmode9
    do you see any drives labeled "emunand"?

11. Rdpruitt

Rdpruitt Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 18, 2018
    United States
    no. there is a lot of sysnands, and there is sd card, ramdrive, gamecart, memory virtual, and nand xorpads

and on the very top it says root in a green line

12. MrJason005

MrJason005 √2

Nov 26, 2014
    Greece
    Κάπου
    if you have a lot of sysNANDs but no emuNAND drives, then this means you have no emuNAND on your SD card

13. Rdpruitt

Rdpruitt Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 18, 2018
    United States
    Meaning i should just be able to copy and paste the contents of the old sd card to the new one, right?

14. MrJason005

MrJason005 √2

Nov 26, 2014
    Greece
    Κάπου
    yes
    make sure that the new SD card is FAT32 before you copy to it, and also make sure that it is completely empty (no folder or anything on it!)
    if it's bigger than 32GB, you may need to use a 3rd party tool

15. Rdpruitt

Rdpruitt Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 18, 2018
    United States
    I did all that and just recopied everything into the new sd card and it didn't work. any more ideas

16. MrJason005

MrJason005 √2

Nov 26, 2014
    Greece
    Κάπου
    "it didn't work" is too ambiguous
    did you get an error? did the 3DS say anything at all? did nothing happen when you inserted the SD card?
    also, what did you format the SD card as? can you show me a picture of the SD card's properties?

17. Rdpruitt

Rdpruitt Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 18, 2018
    United States
    don't worry about the sd card, I formatted that completely right. fat32 using GUIformat thing. when I put in the new sd card with all the stuff on it, all my (freeshop) games are gone. ( I don't own any eshop games to compare this to tho)(so official games might work but I cant tell) I still have the same background that I got using anemone3DS and homebrew is still avaible in download play. the problem is that my cias are uninstalled and my games and their save data is gone but they are still taking up room on the sd card.
    if I redownlad the games from freeshop, would the data be back?

PS; the save data that I officially backed up in settings ( by deleteing a game and choosing backup save data) can still be retrieved if I redownload the game, but all my favorite games don't have the backup option.(maybe because they are out of region.

PPS; the 3DS does not give any error message of any sort.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

and when I try to install a cia, it says 'Failed to install CIA file'

18. Rdpruitt

Rdpruitt Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 18, 2018
    United States
    I guess it could be the sd card. im transferring from a 32gb to a 64gb, so I will try to find a spare 32gb and see if that works. if it does, then the problem was the sd card.
    I am sure I did everything else right tho. I formatted the new card using godmode, used the windows format(not quick) and the GUI fat 32 format( also not the quick one).
    and I have copyed the files to a backup on my pc, then into the new sd card, and I have also tried copying directly between them.
    What in the world am I doing wrong?!?!?!? I hate this. ( but yes, I do need it so...)

19. Rdpruitt

Rdpruitt Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 18, 2018
    United States
    but whenever I insert my old sd card, the 32gb one, windows says there is a problem with the drive and that I should scan it for problems and repair it. im scared to do that in case it messes up my data. could this be the problem?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice