Hacking How to tell if your DX DSTT is a FAKE.

Yoshimashin

Penguin Spy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bought one and I am waiting for the shipment.

I have no problems doing whatever tests need to be done to verify if its real or not. If its fake, oh well I lost $6.

So what will you have me do, GBATemp?

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If it's fake, you can either return it or just keep it and install the fake-killer-disabled firmware. Here's what you need to do:

To set up your (possibly fake) DSTT for the first time, follow these directions:[*]Use the Panasonic formatter to reformat your microSD card: http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/sd/d..._formatter.html[*]Grab the official 1.17 menu from here (but do NOT install TTMENU.DAT from it as it contains the fake-killer code!!!): http://www.ndstt.com/download.html[*]Copy the TTMENU folder (but not TTMENU.DAT) from the official firmware to your microSD card.[*]Grab this archive: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?download=4086[*]Copy TTMENU.DAT from the archive to your microSD card (that version has the fake-killer code disabled). Optional: copy DsttFlashChecker.nds to your microSD card.[*]Make a folder named "games" on your microSD card. Copy 2 or 3 games (.nds files) to the new "games" folder.[*]Run "safely remove hardware", select your microSD reader in the list, and press STOP before removing your microSD card from your PC.[*]Insert your DSTT into the NDS. Insert your microSD card into the DSTT. Turn on the NDS.[*]You should see a menu with your games and the DsttFlashChecker program listed (if you installed it). You can run DsttFlashChecker if you installed it to see if you have a real or a fake DSTT.[*]You should be able to run your games now. Always keep the following in mind:
  • Always leave some free space on your microSD card for save files and system files.
  • Always put games into your "games" folder. Also, put homebrew into a folder. Leave as few files as possible on the root of your microSD card.
  • Always use "safely remove hardware" to remove your microSD card from your PC.
  • Use the Panasonic formatter if you ever have to reformat.
  • Make sure you don't use the official TTMENU.DAT (particularly if you have a fake) because it contains fake-killer code.
-Bri

linux_geek

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have just got a new batch of DSTTs from DX

If you hold them with the label facing towards you, they have a rounded slot on the right hand side.

They do not have a bulge under the label (no chip) and the flash checker returns

unknown device: 912C912C

Anybody else got one of these, or a batch of them?

Seems to work fine using the latest 1.17 with the fake killer removed...

thanks

lachlan383

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
so...

is there any (even remotely accurate) way of telling if it is a fake or not from the outside?

Its just that I only bought one DSTT from DX and I dont really want to open it up, since I dont think i'll be able to close it again
frown.gif

b.t.w. this is the one I bought:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.15613

Has anyone else purchased one of these and decided whether it is fake/real?

thanks in advance.

themando

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
@lachlan383: Read the FAQ that is stickied at the top of the DSTT forum. There are several ways to tell if your DSTT is fake, even without opening it.

@themando: There is no more chance of getting a fake if you order your DSTT with or without a microSD reader. That said, the Acekard 2.1 is about $5 more expensive than the DSTT but is a much better flash cart than the DSTT, and there are no fakes.

-Bri

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yes, I believe that's correct. "Good" means "real."

BTW, if anyone can post the actual messages that are reported by DsttFlashChecker (or even better a screen dump of the results) for a real and a fake DSTT, I'll add them to the FAQ. That's a common question because the wording used in DsttFlashChecker is a little confusing. I don't have a fake DSTT and my real one isn't currently operational.

-Bri

gnagy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Hi,

I bought DSTT cards, but I'm not sure if they are real?!
I uploaded some picture of the card:
2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

I don't have a DS to try it out. I bought to sell it in Hungary, but I don't want to sell fakes..

I'm really looking for your answers.

Thank You

TheWorldEndsWith

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
gnagy said:
Hi,

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

I don't have a DS to try it out. I bought to sell it in Hungary, but I don't want to sell fakes..

Thank You
I think it's fake....
wel the best is try the fake or real program thing but since you don't have a ds... idk

Solo761

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
gnagy said:
Hi,

2.JPG

Thank You

I'd guess they're real. There is one thing that is the same for all fake and all real cards I've seen so far (at least on pictures). Real one have oscillator crystal (bigger cube thingy below sd card slot) in plastic packing, fake ones have metal packing.

gnagy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Thank You for your replies. I really hope Solo761 has a true. But I guess I won't know it until I get a DS and try it out.

You gave me hope Solo761, thank you!
smile.gif

insanepotato

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
numbat.cs.rmit.edu.au
XP
Country
So i ordered a tt from dx. It was a fake. I installed official 1.7 and the "fake checker" program.
The official 1.7 worked fine, the fake checker simply said "Card Not Supported, not tt". I i guess im in the clear O.o

Seems to be working fine. Would probably cost less to buy a new one then to send this one back anyways haha.

Solo761

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
When I ran checker on mine (also from dx) I got this message.

Code:
unknown device : C800C21F
Good!! (^^)v

Go figure what it means, to me it's kinda contradicting
tongue.gif
. But that checker app is version 0.1. No one is saying that it's 100% correct. Maybe it doesn't recognize every DSTT version completely.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    sigh
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @a_username_that_isnt_cool, could you change your username?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i guess not...
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yawn
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    anybody here?
  • P @ PKNate:
    nope
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fun fact: 7 years by lukas graham, supermassive black hole by muse, and megalomania all have the same bpm
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    girls just wanna have fun and renai circulation also share the same tempo as the few i said before
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, megalomania the live a live song?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    wait no, megalovania*
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    my bad
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I don't forgive you
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    The nerve of that guy, gosh.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah expecting me to forgive gtfo
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    But how could the Dr have known you didn't want to be circumcized?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He didn't you just wanted your dick to be fondled
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Watching dune 2 it's eh
    Dune one sucked
    The original with Patrick Stewart was Great
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A sexual psycopath that love pain where have I heard that before
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    In your high school diary?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No but your wife let's me read her diary the word psychopath comes up more than sexual
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: No but your wife let's me read her diary the word psychopath comes up more than sexual +1