Hacking How To Softmod (Hack) Your PSP

wrincus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hey guys, thanks very much for the handy guide, just have a few questions. If anyone could help me out I'd really appreciate it :)

1) I up'd to 6.60 PRO using the links provided in the first post. Ran the Pro update thing and had the black screen with the small white writing appear prompting me to hit X to run the CFW. I press X and the system resets itself back to the original PSP screen, no changes in interface or anything. Am I now running the CFW then?
easiest way to know is to press select while on the xmb, it should show the VSH menu.

edit: oh you figured it out.

you can only use the cipl for 1k and 2k models. only 6.20 is perma for the 3k.
Yeah just realized about the CIPL, guessing it's safe for deletion then? Hmm yeah I figured the temporary patch would be fine for my purposes, as far as I can figure it's simply a matter of running Fast Recovery after a shutdown to get back to CFW correct? Would using the PROupdate icon do the same, looks that way to me but I'd guess most people are just deleting it after the install?

Sorry for all the newb questions folks :(

nryn99

desu~
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
it's safe if you delete the proupdate.
i think yes it does, but it'll take a bit more time than just choosing fast recovery.

wrincus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
it's safe if you delete the proupdate.
i think yes it does, but it'll take a bit more time than just choosing fast recovery.
Cool tyvm. Hmm looking now at the 6.60PRO download I'm seeing an "sdk" and "seplugins" folders. Should these have gone onto my mem stick as well? The OP said to only take the Fast Recov and ProUpdate folders so I ignored the other two. Hmm also did the uninstall and reinstall of the CFW using the ProUpdate file and still no dice on an ISO folder :(

Edit: I feel like I'm getting closer haha, would love to wrap this thing up before school but it doesn't look like it's in the cards.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The only thing B.10 has in seplugins are Recovery Menu fonts, so not necessarily.

If you still don't have the ISO folder, create one in the ROOT of the memory stick and place an ISO in it.

When you are SURE you're running CFW, it should appear in the Game menu under Memory Card.

wrincus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well, turns out to have been a facepalm situation. Somehow instead of making the folder directly in the ROOT, I opted to go in a level deeper, thinking that the subsequent 'psp' folder was the right place for it. Feel like a dummy but hey, seems to be working fine now :)

Thanks again for your help again everyone. Great guide and a real helpful bunch of folks :)

Cheers

wrincus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
One last thing, I noticed that my save file for one of my UMDs isn't loadable from the ISO of the same game I'm trying. Is this to be expected or do I have a funky ISO? Should save files from a UMD be loadable from an ISO?

s4mid4re

Trophies
Website
v4.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
One last thing, I noticed that my save file for one of my UMDs isn't loadable from the ISO of the same game I'm trying. Is this to be expected or do I have a funky ISO? Should save files from a UMD be loadable from an ISO?
Maybe the region of the game and save are different? Say, you have a USA UMD game (meaning your save is also USA), while the ISO you have is an EUR version of the UMD you have.

wrincus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Maybe the region of the game and save are different? Say, you have a USA UMD game (meaning your save is also USA), while the ISO you have is an EUR version of the UMD you have.
Yup, this appears to be exactly the case, other ISOs are working fine, thanks much! :)

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Should i update the actual firmware of my PSP? And if so, whats the current one with the best compatability?

No need to update, although....Possibly downgrade if you're inclined.to utilise the permanent patch (6.20) Realistically the only thing you need to do is to update your PRO CFW to B10 to benefit from the most up to date feature set.

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I am going to go through with this, I just want to make sure I am safe though.

I just bought a PSP 3000, shipped with stock 6.60. It is safe to use the downgrader to downgrade to 6.20 on this?

Edit - Just looked at the hacking faq again, and it looks like that's a negative. So it looks like I gotta stick with the temporary firmware then?

s4mid4re

Trophies
Website
v4.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
So I am going to go through with this, I just want to make sure I am safe though.

I just bought a PSP 3000, shipped with stock 6.60. It is safe to use the downgrader to downgrade to 6.20 on this?

Edit - Just looked at the hacking faq again, and it looks like that's a negative. So it looks like I gotta stick with the temporary firmware then?
No. There's a downgrader than can downgrade the ones that have stock 6.60 to 6.20, but they're problematic and usually causes some conflict. It's much safer to use 6.60 PRO-B instead. Although it's temporary, it won't make much of a difference (~8 seconds) of difference than perma. Perma isn't required and the functionality (aside from perma) is the same.

EDIT: yes, use temporary.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Conflict? Hasn't this all been resolved now....

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Conflict? Hasn't this all been resolved now....
There was inability to upgrade again after the downgrade (which isn't a good sign), and while a force upgrader was released later, it brought other issues with it, so I'm suggesting people just stay away from the idea.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Was that confirmed? I only saw one person report that error (on a TA-095v2) and there didn't seem to be much discussion on the issues involved. Although i do agree that a downgrade just to use a perm LCFW is mostly pointless.

Godson777

yo waddup
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can someone help? I have a PSP that has System Firmware 3.80, I want to hack it, but I don't know how, I don't want to update it, I just want to hack it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    I tried to get a slim on a black friday once, but they ran out of stock for the $100 one
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    many ages ago
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You can find them $50-75 nowdays if catch a deal
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Still remember grabbing this ps4 slim on black Friday for $200 when the msrp was still around 300
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I went to auction at a mom/pops video game store few months ago that was closing, and bought 11 slims for $200, 1 was DOA but 10 work fine. so hella deal. Already rgh3'ed 8 of them. But most younger kids don't even want anymore, unless it plays stupid "fortnight", or newer shit.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Think I'm gonna use my giftcard balance on a nice pair of headphones but $100 is still limited
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Soundcore q30s are nice but they leak so much sound it sounds like speakers
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Ken spend the 100 on a gun and skii mask, wait for a jogger at the park jewelry money and headphones!
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If only Amazon sold guns
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Fucking dick heads think it's a bad idea to get a gun 2 days later
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Wait, I thought you were the dickhe...nvm
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got balls on my chin and two dicks on my forehead sir
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Sorry, no offense there double dickhead chinballs.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Chicks still love it
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    "Mommy, look, what is that?". "That's your soon to be daddy."
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That you'll only see once
    +2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Double dickhead chinballs is still better than double dickhead eyeballs.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    As in, the balls will grow in your eye sockets.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I paid 5 grand to get them moved to my chin
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    This you?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My hair can't be that cool
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: JOE! :P