Hacking How To Softmod (Hack) Your PSP

nryn99

desu~
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
cxmb works fine with temp, but you need to run fast recovery before you'll see your theme. so everytime you turn on your psp, you'll see the default theme. that's why i switched to 6.20 perma.

zygie

Trophies
XP
Country
...but not if I am going to brick as I don't have a pandora battery (if that even works with 09g's).

???
No, they don't work on 3ks, so careful when playing around flash stuff.

It's only really "temp" if you power the PSP down. I myself only turn it off fully before going to sleep, and boot it up at the start of the day when I had temp CFW, so during the whole day it was just on sleep and no hassle with the CFW going away when I want to just grab and play a quick game.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
As discussed above, customise CTF themes with modified .rco's and prx's and use the 6.xx CXMB to use them. That way you can still have a custom gameboot and XMB...however as noted this would need to be re-enabled after a full power off, which somewhat spoils the illusion.

shango46

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well, things sure have changed since I sold my 1000 PSP back in December 2007. Is there a way to make the gameboots now without the Sony SDK? Or how about the CTF theme modifying? Back in the day (can't believe i'm saying this about the PSP) there was Zinga Burga and his program if I remember right, but I imagine things are tremendously different there now to right?

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
I've used CTFArchiver, CTFTool, CTF Manager and RCOEdit in the last year or so to manipulate CTF gameboots...Not all are necessary as they all (aside from RCOEdit which is obviously more specific) do the same things. Not a great deal has really changed...

As far as Gameboot manufacture i believe (although i don't know for a fact) it's still the same method. If you actually used to do it you already know more than i! Endless Paradigm may be a better information mine than here for PSP themes and there modification though.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
I've updated the entries on Filetrip so the guide now links to the most recent versions of both 6.60 and 6.20 PRO... and while I want to edit the guide to fix a formatting error and change the folder name references to the new style used in the official PRO downloads, a bug's preventing me from doing it properly right now.

FabioVieira

Trophies
XP
Ok ... I have one question that sticks in my head ... I recently bought a psp 3000 ... being a European model is there some risk that I brick my console using this guide?

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
No. Firmware is region free. The only differences that exist are that the Go updates are slightly smaller (and if you try to use an inappropriate update you'd just get an error message.)

ForteGospel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hey, i just got a second hand psp,
i do not know which model it is (2k or 3k)
it has a non permanent chickhen softmode.
should i upgrade to this softmode? if so which one? there is any difference except for the permanent or non permanent?
all i have to do is power off the psp so it goes to the ofw, upgrade to those ofw and then run the cfw? just like that? the model wont make any difference?
im sorry im asking all those noobie questions that for sure has been answered before, its just that 2 years ago i got another second hand psp and i bricked it the same night i got it...
what are the chances it gets bricked by the way?

nryn99

desu~
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
should i upgrade to this softmode? if so which one? there is any difference except for the permanent or non permanent?
all i have to do is power off the psp so it goes to the ofw, upgrade to those ofw and then run the cfw? just like that? the model wont make any difference?
im sorry im asking all those noobie questions that for sure has been answered before, its just that 2 years ago i got another second hand psp and i bricked it the same night i got it...
for some of your questions, you can read this.

ForteGospel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
for some of your questions, you can read this.
i feel ashamed :moogle:  i looked at all the sticked topics and didnt saw it >.<
the one i got today is a 2k model, i looked up the one i bricked before and it was a 3k model
so there shouldnt be a problem upgrading to the new cfw's so last question is what is the difference between the 6.20 perm and 6.60 non perm (except for the perm part)?UPDATE: so i got a copy of kingdomhearts BBS, it didnt worked on the softmode i had so i upgraded to the 6,20 pro b10 (i think?).i havent installed the permanent part yet, dont really know if i should or not.anyways i am playing KH already.so i wanted to say thank you narayan for helping me with my "noobish cant read other post thingy"and thank you rydian for making the 2 simplest yet helpfull guides.

wrincus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hey guys, thanks very much for the handy guide, just have a few questions. If anyone could help me out I'd really appreciate it :)

1) I up'd to 6.60 PRO using the links provided in the first post. Ran the Pro update thing and had the black screen with the small white writing appear prompting me to hit X to run the CFW. I press X and the system resets itself back to the original PSP screen, no changes in interface or anything. Am I now running the CFW then?

2) Was trying to figure out how to throw ISOs onto the mem card now that I have the CFW running (assuming I do) and read that one way is to make an "ISO" folder in the root of the mem card to throw them in. I'm guessing this is where I screwed up as I can't find them anywhere on the PSP after having moved them to the folder, figuring that method must be for a different means of softmodding maybe?

Again, thanks for the guide.

Cheers

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
If you're on 6.60 PRO, then the ISO folder should've been created automatically right after CFW installation.

Do tell what is your PSP and is it permanently patched?

If it is a 1000-2000 with cipl patched, then the games should appear under the standard Game/Memory Card menu. If it is a 3000 or the earlier PSP's without a permanent patch, you must first run the Fast Recovery application to boot into CFW, THEN the ISO's will pop up.

...provided that you put them in the root/ISO folder that is.

wrincus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If you're on 6.60 PRO, then the ISO folder should've been created automatically right after CFW installation.

Do tell what is your PSP and is it permanently patched?

If it is a 1000-2000 with cipl patched, then the games should appear under the standard Game/Memory Card menu. If it is a 3000 or the earlier PSP's without a permanent patch, you must first run the Fast Recovery application to boot into CFW, THEN the ISO's will pop up.

...provided that you put them in the root/ISO folder that is.
Thanks for the quick response!

According to the system settings I'm now rocking a 3000 6.60 PRO-B10 and followed the instructions in the OP for the temporary patch with Fast Recovery and CIPL Flasher (which, now having tried, is telling me my model type is unsupported?). I figured from other readings that the ISO folder should've been formed automatically but that hasn't been the case. I've tried running Fast Recovery but no changes. Would it be a good idea to get rid of my self-made ISO folder and perhaps try a reinstallation of the CFW itself?

Thanks again :)

nryn99

desu~
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Hey guys, thanks very much for the handy guide, just have a few questions. If anyone could help me out I'd really appreciate it :)

1) I up'd to 6.60 PRO using the links provided in the first post. Ran the Pro update thing and had the black screen with the small white writing appear prompting me to hit X to run the CFW. I press X and the system resets itself back to the original PSP screen, no changes in interface or anything. Am I now running the CFW then?
easiest way to know is to press select while on the xmb, it should show the VSH menu.

edit: oh you figured it out.

you can only use the cipl for 1k and 2k models. only 6.20 is perma for the 3k.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Click on your profile pic in the top right corner, and you'll get the profile menu popup, with...